Why become a member? ×

Rehearsal instrument

petebassist

Double-bass purists look away now - After spending ages looking for an EUB for rehearsals and the occasional tiny-gig where the big guy is too much hassle, I happened upon one of these Ibanez hollow bodied electric basses in my local music shop, and ended up buying a fretless four string. After tweaking the truss rod and raising the saddle height for the E and A string to that I can dig in, and adding a bit of sponge to dampen the sustain, I'm getting a very usuable tone that does a good impression of my amplified acoustic upright. It even growls on the E string.  I found this clip in YT that shows a nice example of what it can do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’ve seen the used A4 on eBay if it’s the one you mean, it’s just got the pickup under the bridge rather than the extra pickup on the new A4 ultra, I have read reports that some have had sound problems with them but maybe that’s the older ones it may seem? 

52 minutes ago, Jezyorkshire said:

Have been looking at YouTube and comparing the Godin and the Ibanez, I think that even though the Ibanez seems less versatile it looks better value for money and the Godin comes across not much different that an electric bass?

Yeah I did look at a few Godin clips myself but could only find those with a fretless EB sound, so I guessed it was the tone dialled in with more of the the magnetic pickup, but I don't having not tried one. The only thing I thought I'd miss with the Ibanez was the thumb-rest so I did think about buying one from RedDogMusic on eBay and adding it myself, but so far I've just been doing my usual thumb anchored around the end of the finger board so probably won't bother. The AeroSilk piezo seems to do the job & works nicely with the stock strings (D-Addario ECB81 flat wounds), which growl and resonate nicely.

• Like 1