Why become a member? ×

Class D power Amps Advice

challxyz

I've recently purchased a Trace GP11 pre amp which I'm planning to use with my BF FR800 cabs on occasion, but it got me thinking about using the GP11 with a class D power amp into my BF Six10, has anyone any experience of using a class D (preferably a 1U) power amp? if so any recommendations?   

This is a fairly mainstream approach now. Class D PA amps are really relatively cheap compared with dedicated bass amps simply because they are mass produced. You can get quality amps like Crown for relatively affordable prices. Unfortunately they tend to be in 2U format but you should be able to buy something that will produce well in excess of 1000W in bridge mode for less than £300. Just check what the minimum impedance is though, they will want to see twice the impedance in bridge mode to the minimum impedance in stereo.

Looking at the Engl it's a proper bass amp, if you are running off a pre you re doubling up on controls you don't need. The Engl looks to be about £600 compare that with the Crown XLS 1002 at £250 less than half the price and just a smidgin more powerful at 700W into 8ohms bridged. that's only one example of course but you can see what you'd save by cutting out the duplication of controls.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/crown_xls_1002.htm?sid=6b46c732568192769a8afadf8b00da20

I've recently found my self a great lightweight, shallow rack mountable 1u Power amp that I pair up with my F1-x pre-amp.

It's a Synq 1K0 https://synq-audio.com/digit-1k0 It bridges at 8 ohms. I used again this past weekend with my barefaced Big Twin II on a reggae gig and the whole rig sounded big Phat and clean toned. 

I have also used it with my BB2 cab for travelling light to gigs and it is a great amp. It bridges at 8 ohms only but I haven't had a need to do that yet.

Something from the Crown XLS Series is a good option too. I got the  XLS1502 on recommendation and it's great. 

On 12/11/2018 at 10:23, jazzyvee said:

I've recently found my self a great lightweight, shallow rack mountable 1u Power amp that I pair up with my F1-x pre-amp.

It's a Synq 1K0 https://synq-audio.com/digit-1k0 It bridges at 8 ohms. I used again this past weekend with my barefaced Big Twin II on a reggae gig and the whole rig sounded big Phat and clean toned. 

I have also used it with my BB2 cab for travelling light to gigs and it is a great amp. It bridges at 8 ohms only but I haven't had a need to do that yet.

Something from the Crown XLS Series is a good option too. I got the  XLS1502 on recommendation and it's great. 

Jazzyvee - so have you used the 4ohm output of the Synq into your Big Twin as that is a 4ohm cab? you couldn't use the bridged 8ohm into that could you? Looking at the specs am I right in thinking the 2 4ohm outputs are about 500 watts each?

Hi Challxyz, yes I have used it on my 4 ohm Barefaced Big Twin II a few times and it has been fine. I emailed Synq to see if I could safely use the amp bridged into a 4 ohm cab and they categorically told me NO.

I haven't tried bridging it into an 8 ohm cab yet as I mostly gig reggae and I think I would probably get more meat out of the Big Twin at 4ohms than the BB2 bridged. I might try it with the my 8ohm Dubster 2 just for fun though.  Yes the amp delivers about 500w into each side into a 4 ohm load, so If I wanted some weight on an outdoor gig with no PA support I could put the BT2 on one side and the Dubster and BB2 (both 8ohms) on the other and turn the thing on full....!!!

I have dropped in some pix. The Sync with either the BB2 or BT2 is in mono mode, the crown xls1502 with Dubster and BB2 is in bridge mode but after doing a couple of gigs with that setup I think I need to use it in Mono mode so that I can balance the Dubster with the BB2 as it is really dominant.

Hope that helps.

IMG_1898_WBB2.jpeg

IMG_1849_WBigTwin.JPG

IMG_1944_wDubster.jpeg

• Like 1