Why become a member? ×

Stingray 2EQ or 3EQ?

rbatts2000

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='343648' date='Dec 2 2008, 11:03 PM']I've never played a 3eq Ray that I could make a sound I liked on.[/quote]

I'd maybe agree with you sat in a shop at low vols. But for some reason it comes alive in a gig (especially through Mark Bass Rich!).
In a gig I just use the mid to tweak - it's easier than farting about with the VLE/VLF thing :)
At home I usually find the Ray far too sharp for my ears with D'Addario's and reach for the GnL or P bass.

I've got a three band Stingray and I find myself using the mid knob quite a lot. It makes a huge difference in terms of how much the bass melts into the back in a band situation or comes right to the front of a mix. Personally, I couldn't imagine using a Stingray without one.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='347509' date='Dec 6 2008, 09:05 PM']I've got a three band Stingray and I find myself using the mid knob quite a lot. It makes a huge difference in terms of how much the bass melts into the back in a band situation or comes right to the front of a mix. Personally, I couldn't imagine using a Stingray without one.[/quote]
+1

[quote name='Doctor J' post='347509' date='Dec 6 2008, 09:05 PM']I've got a three band Stingray and I find myself using the mid knob quite a lot. It makes a huge difference in terms of how much the bass melts into the back in a band situation or comes right to the front of a mix. Personally, I couldn't imagine using a Stingray without one.[/quote]
+1

• 1 year later...

Lazarus thread here....

Rehearsing with 2 bands over last 2 months. One with gtr, keys & drms and other with gtr x 2, keys & drums. Both similar, mostly classic rock.

Been switching been two Stingrays; a 2EQ and 3EQ to check the difference. Amps set flat. Same strings.

With 2EQ, instant cut through. Bass control at 40% - 75% . Treble close to zero.

With a 3EQ, if all set at centre detente, sound is lost. Reproducing 2EQ settings (on bass & treble) with mid at centre....still sound is lost. Becomes too bassy and lacks definition.

Need to use mid boost to get heard but sound is overly harse imo.

Conclusion, 2EQ wins.

• Like 1

I have a Stingray 5 (3 EQ) and a Sub 5 (2 EQ)

The 2 EQ is much closer to the old musicman sound (I a-b'd it with a pre EB) and whilst the Stingray 5 (3 EQ) can get close to the sound it never really gets there, on the flip side though the Stingray 5 can be dialed to produce a lot more tones and the mids do come in handy if you play covers and need to change tone quickly... especially if you need to go from soft and sweet to harsh and in your face between two numbers

Just my 2p worth

+1,000,000

3-band sterling + piezo for me.
the middle gives extra 'growl'.,(not jazz growl,tee hee..)
most eq. scenarios are now available without a visit to the amp.
and that means dub to harcore punk via d'n'b.

2 or 3 eq. ? i guess it depends how much tonal diversity you require at fingertips length.

Edited by phil.i.stein

back again !

having thought about it again, i can now say why having more control over the mids is better on your bass.

you can tweak your sound whilst standing a good distance from your amp, other musicians/drummer etc..

so, get the best setting on your amp with a flat guitar tone, then turn up the amp, move away from it , and tweak the sound with your on-board tone controls. MM's have great diversity in tone., and 3 eq is just a bit more versatile than 2. for that edgy-sound.

but, the same principle applies to both types.

if you're not playing to cut through a band, none of this will matter.

Me too - Back, that is! :)

Now I've owned a Stingray 3eq (with the piezo bridge as well) I can definitely recommend both types. The 2eq is definitely more scooped and a little punchier, but my 3eq although a little clearer overall, has ample punch. The main MusicMan problem I've found is that people have the pickup screwed far too low. If you set the pickup so the polepieces are around 3-4mm below the strings the MM comes to life. Massive tone, massive output.

So yes, I finally have a 3eq I like! And no, just like on my Status preamps, I never touch the mid control. It just stays flat (in the centre indent.)

I think 2eq is better in the low end. Definitely I am gonna buy a classic. My fretless that is 2 eq has the best sound that a stingray can get. I think the 3 band eq is good in my HH stingray that can play everything the pickup make the difference tonal variations and sounds from the HH model. I don’t know the graphite neck should affect the tone. Overall 2 eq is better but i think you need more ajustments to get the right tone with the 3eq.

[quote name='KERMITNT' post='732536' date='Feb 2 2010, 08:39 AM']I think 2eq is better in the low end. Definitely I am gonna buy a classic. My fretless that is 2 eq has the best sound that a stingray can get. I think the 3 band eq is good in my HH stingray that can play everything the pickup make the difference tonal variations and sounds from the HH model. I don’t know the graphite neck should affect the tone. Overall 2 eq is better but i think you need more ajustments to get the right tone with the 3eq.[/quote]

Your last comment is spot on. With 2EQ its plug'in & play. Cuts through instantly at any control setting. With 3EQ you've got to fiddle with the mids, and sound is always at bit more abrasive.

Though I'm happy with both. Cue photo excuse....

[attachment=41674:rays.JPG]

[quote name='obi 2 kenobi' post='732566' date='Feb 2 2010, 11:20 AM']Your last comment is spot on. With 2EQ its plug'in & play. Cuts through instantly at any control setting. With 3EQ you've got to fiddle with the mids, and sound is always at bit more abrasive.

Though I'm happy with both. Cue photo excuse....

[attachment=41674:rays.JPG][/quote]

woow thats awsome rays what years ? let me make a guess is the amber 1987? and the natural 79?

am i right?????????? :) :rolleyes:

There is a very good thread on the EB forums, showcasing the differences between the 2 EQ, 3 EQ, mahogany bodies, and graphite necked basses.

You'll be suprised at the differences in tones. Personally, I prefer the 2 EQ, and the graphite necked...if only I could find a 2EQ graphite...

[url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/42214-stingray-sound-examples.html"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...d-examples.html[/url]

• 9 years later...

The 3eq Stingray (ie, with mid-boost) is a no-brainier -especially if you play rock and want to be heard through the mix. If you want the soft, ‘scoopy’ Sound favoured by slappers simply cut the mid boost. It really does give you far more tonal options so why limit yourself with the 2 eq version?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Stingray HS. In addition to the 3eq preamp it has a 5 position pickup combination switch. You can run it in many modes...even have it on the humbucker only with the mid cut/boost set flat if you want the classic 2eq single pickup tone....but why would you want to limit yourself? It all depends whether you tend to take the 'intelligent' approach or the 'rose tinted glasses approach' ...the latter being that a 'proper' Stingray only has one pickup and 2 eq.