Why become a member? ×

Band van hire woes

Twigman

We've got a gig this weekend in Brussels.

We're a 5piece and we have a merch stall.

So at the beginning of October I book a 6 seater LWB crew cab van for 8/11-12/11.

The hire company confirm the booking and take my moolah on 2nd October.

Yesterday afternoon I get a phone call from the hire company telling me that they don't have any 6 seater crew cabs available, would I have a 5 seater SWB instead?

WTAF? - they've had 5 weeks to tell me this - why wait until now?

No - i wouldn't like a 5 seater SWB instead - I ordered a 6 seater LWB crew van for a reason - if I'd wanted a 5 seater SWB that's what i would have ordered!

I tried to source a 6seater LWB from another source but it being so close to the booking I found nothing available.

After much heated telephone action and some emails with their customer service I ended up accepting the 5 seater (I have no clue if all our kit+merch will fit in it) and putting one of our party on the Eurostar (at an additional cost of £308).....the hire company are 'considering' my claim for the cost of the Eurostar ticket.

I won't be using that bunch of clowns again.

I have another requirement for a 6 seater LWB crew cab or 6 seater splitter van for a gig in Amsterdam in December.

Can anyone recommend a firm that won't let me down like this bunch of crooks.

Thanks

I would suggest to check to make sure that you need to take everything you were taking. Does the venue have PA (it might have)? That might be teaching you to suck eggs but worth double checking that you are taking what you need.

Not trying to be clever here, just practical in the circs.

There isn't a PA in the load:

The load:

1x Bass

2x guitars

1x 61 key midi controller

2x synth modules

1x keyboard stand

1x synth module stand

1x full drum kit (kick,snare, 2x rack toms, floor tom, high hat) with cymbals

1x Bass cab (2x12)

1x bass head

2x 1x12 guitar combos

1x  Saxophone

Bag of percussion and leads

3 x pedal boards (cased)

1x large cardboard box of merch

1x large suitcase of merch

5x overnight bags

That is the bare minimum required for a show.

House supplies vox PA.....

Edited by Twigman

1 hour ago, Twigman said:

Time to name and shame as this is now beyond a joke - I wonder what will be delivered (if anything) at 15.00 tomorrow

https://www.nationwidehireuk.co.uk/vans-for-hire/lwb-6-seat-crew-van-2937/

I have never heard of them, they are not one of our customers, looking at the locations covered I would hazard a guess that these are just cross hiring from other companies as other than the Enterprise's, Europcar, Hertz and Avis of this world there are no independents big enough to cover that wide an area, give me your location and I will have a look at anyone I deal with that could cover your needs for future gigs.....I am currently running a six seater Transit Crew cab myself, it's brilliant, but that doesn't help you much! 

You should have asked for a van plus hire car at their cost to allow transit of gear and band. That's what your original boking was for.

We have a local company that do Splitter vans in couple of sizes but they wouldn't cover your area i'm afraid.

Dave

6 hours ago, Twigman said:

Time to name and shame as this is now beyond a joke - I wonder what will be delivered (if anything) at 15.00 tomorrow

https://www.nationwidehireuk.co.uk/vans-for-hire/lwb-6-seat-crew-van-2937/

What a bunch of lame amateurs.  Compensation should be the minimum response from that mob.

I will be avoiding them if i ever need to book a van.

• 3 weeks later...