Why become a member? ×

Bass Strap Width (What do you prefer?)

Chownybass

Bass Strap Width  

85 members have voted

1. 1. How wide do you like your bass guitar strap?

• 2"
    • 2.5"
    • 3"
    • Wider

My basses are heavy and as such I don't trust having any plastic on my straps so I use padded leather that are about 4" wide. One leather strap I bought way back in the late 70's for my guitar and it is now on one of my basses and is thick leather and looks like it will outlive me.  Like someone else here I use Minotaur straps.

On 07/11/2018 at 09:44, Chownybass said:

Nope. I'm not going that upmarket for my first foray into accessories. 

I use a Levy M4 strap that is one-ply and 3.5" leather. They cost about $25. You could double-wide your colorful patterns (get some paisley patterns ) , backed with rough suede leather. It would be too wide so you could trim the patterns to make a deluxe 4" strap.

1 minute ago, grenadillabama said:

I use a Levy M4 strap that is one-ply and 3.5" leather. They cost about $25. You could double-wide your colorful patterns (get some paisley patterns ) , backed with rough suede leather. It would be too wide so you could trim the patterns to make a deluxe 4" strap.

I can get wider ribbon and webbing. But they're not as easy to come by. You can't really trim the ribbons as if you take the edge off it would unravel.

16 minutes ago, Chownybass said:

We took that in account with the nuts on our basses (we moved from bone to synthetic bone) but have not managed to find something that works as well for this yet. Basses = Vegan. Straps = Not Vegan. 

We're working on it though.

Excellent!

whilst they’re too thin for my basses, the red/gold elephant would be perfect for my red/gold Jazzmaster!

I have a vegan guitarist mate who loves elephants, so I’d get him both versions of that.

let me know if you manage to do these and I’ll order straight away

3 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Excellent!

whilst they’re too thin for my basses, the red/gold elephant would be perfect for my red/gold Jazzmaster!

I have a vegan guitarist mate who loves elephants, so I’d get him both versions of that.

let me know if you manage to do these and I’ll order straight away

No probs. Now get yourself down to Greggs! **** <- topical reference alert

• Haha 2

I've skimmed the thread, and I'm surprised that no-one's said that they use a different strap for each instrument that they own.

Over the years I've amassed a few straps, and see which ones work best with each bass, adjust according to my taste, and that's it.

It's partly driven by the fact that the instruments have a combination of Schaller locks, Dunlop locks and various sizes/styles of strap button.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I've skimmed the thread, and I'm surprised that no-one's said that they use a different strap for each instrument that they own.

Over the years I've amassed a few straps, and see which ones work best with each bass, adjust according to my taste, and that's it.

It's partly driven by the fact that the instruments have a combination of Schaller locks, Dunlop locks and various sizes/styles of strap button.

All my guitars and basses  have their own individual straps. It seems common sense to me and it is not expensive to get good straps. Excluding my Stratocaster which came with a cloth based strap, all my straps are leather and whilst I have always been vegetarian and in recent years vegan. I won't be throwing those straps away anytime soon.
When they are due to be replaced I will consider what the alternatives are depending on my viewpoint at the time.🧐 

Edited by jazzyvee

• 7 months later...

After looking for another wide strap like the SlapStrap by Gerald Reese, my wife offered me this one :

1336.thumb.jpg.87b345f4c31e0af9fbe8a16c57545811.jpg

It's the perfect match for my yellow Leduc MP628SF and it's as comfortable as the Slapstrap without being stupidly black (and out of stock for years). There are also vegan models and Motörhead signature straps !!! :i-m_so_happy:

Here is the link to mine https://www.richterstraps.com/screen/product/guitar-strap-1336

I also got the Loxx strap lock system which is simply the best one to date (no metal noise when moving the strap and only needing one hand to be put on/off the bass when attached to the strap, of course) and very cleverly thought https://www.richterstraps.com/screen/product/loxx-1429

1578.thumb.jpg.6c99284b37b90e377b276931c70abc87.jpg

Now I've got this Loxx system on the Slapstrap too and the end pins on my 3 main basses.

The Loxx system is also available with the double anchoring system for those who always forget the strap at home when gigging or rehearsing.

Look here for what they are proposing https://www.loxx-products.com/live/musical-instruments-guitar-strap-strap-locks/music.aspx

PS : I'm not affiliated at all to any of the above mentioned brands.

• Like 1

I have a couple of Levys 3" suede straps for most of my basses and would never go narrower than this, but I use a 4" padded suede-backed leather strap with my unusually heavy Westone Thunder III.

Interesting that 4"+ straps look to be the most popular here, yet I've found that the choice of these wider straps isn't that great.  Could be an opportunity for someone. ...?

On 07/11/2018 at 10:35, Chownybass said:

Both curious (and a bit of market research as we'll be making some straps). The ribbon artwork is only 2" wide... so a wider strap means putting a border on them. So just trying to find out what people like. 

How wide do you like your bass guitar strap?

My very pretty Chowny Elephant strap I won at the Midlands Bass Bash is very lovely and 2" wide, like all my straps.

I have actually made a 4" wide 'spreader' for one of my Fender straps and I will probably make some more.

My 'perfect' strap would be a 2" wide one with a padded 'spreader' about 16-18" long that fits on it.

Stiffness is possibly more important than width, a wide flexible strap still digs in to your shoulder.

On 03/01/2019 at 12:35, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I do (almost), at fourteen I could do with a couple more....

I even have a dedicated strap for each of my mandolins.