Why become a member? ×

Stingray Classic Natural (or Vintage Sunburst)

lowdowner

On 08/11/2018 at 15:06, lowdowner said:

that's kinda got me drooling! 🤤 

I've had people after gigs telling me they enjoyed it and my playing then ramble on about some band where the bass player uses a five string and how I've proven that you don't need five strings etc etc, I've never had the heart to tell them. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I was in a similar position in December! An unexpected tax rebate, a trip down Denmark street and most unusual the approval of the wife... Brand new stingray. I went for it in natural but only cos I'm a lefty and I fell in love with the one in the shop. Natural ash body, rosewood board. 

You can see where your money goes. My other basses at the time were a cheap Kramer, MIM Jazz, MIJ Precision and a Sire Jazz fiver. The Stingray is pretty much the only bass that gets played now. Once I have a drop D tuner on it the Sire will be gone. I traded my MiM jazz in for the Stingray abd while I often think I would like a jazz for balance and having a two pickup option I just can't see past the Stingray for playing live. I get so much big, thick, bassy, tone it's just ideal for belting out 80's covers for people to dance to. The only thing it is not is a fretless. 

Not sure if the classic is two or three band EQ. Mine is three band and while a lot of people prefer the two band I have never used it so don't have the frame of reference. I think the three band is great. The treble can be a bit wild so I'm glad I've got the rosewood board to keep it a little calmer than a maple board would. 

Overall, you just can't beat a Stingray for playing live. I had a go on a new MIA jazz and if I was recording or playing a style where the nuances of the bass tone were more important I'd have saved some cash and got the jazz but the Stingray for me is the bass for gigging.

Hope that helps. I bang on a lot more about it in the NBD thread I did a short while back.

Overall I don't think you'll regret any Stingray.