Why become a member? ×

Stingray Classic Natural (or Vintage Sunburst)

lowdowner

I've had a small windfall - about the size of a new tip-top-notch bass as it happens - and I'm having serious GAS for a Stingray Classic 4 string. 

I buy a new bass about once a decade so it's a BIG decision for me and I need to know how many of you guys (possibly the greatest bass playing experts on the interweb so I trust you) rate this bass? How's the quality of build and is having a single humbucker a limitation? Has anyone bought one recently and are you pleased with it?

Obviously I'm looking for encouragement but if there are any serious worries I'd probably rather know!

stingray_n_m_all.jpg

• Like 4

I picked up a 2000 Stingray in Trans-orange with matching headstock and love it. ... I prefer the 90's neck, lot's of birdseye maple was used. ... The new ones are about the same. Are you looking new or used?

Edited by RonMac
Spelling

1 minute ago, RonMac said:

I picked up a 2000 Stingray in Trans-orange with matching headstock and love. ... I prefer the 90's neck, lot's of birdseye maple was used. ... The new ones are about the same. Are you looking new or used?

New I think - though I'd be tempted by a Trans-orange pre-loved if available!

Edited by lowdowner
  • Like 1

I bought one about a week ago. A 2009 Musicman Stingray. 3 band EQ, single pickup. Candy red, rosewood fretboard

I've only really had Fenders before, so I can only describe it relative to those...

Build quality is great. Components seem excellent quality, and the fit and finish is great. If you've played fenders before, you'll find the neck is very much like a Precision.

It's quite heavy, but not too heavy. Nice and solid. Sounds nice acoustically.

The G string was a bit quieter than the others. I'm convinced it's because the pickup polepiece doesn't line up properly with the G string. This is apparently a common issue with Stingrays. I fixed it by raising the pickup at the treble side, and managed to get the string volumes balanced enough to where it isn't an issue. You'd think in an otherwise very well designed bass they would have fixed this years ago. But no. Apparently the new ones DO have the polepieces in the right place... but 2 grand's a lot to pay imo for that

My takeaway from the G string polepiece issue is that it's pretty sensitive to how you have your pickup height set - so be aware of that

Re the sound and having a single pickup. The most noticable thing is that the kinds of warm, vocal mids you might get from a precision are totally absent. And the second thing is that the low end is deep and tight. I heard the preamp has a high pass filter, and it sounds like it. There's loads of thick, punchy bass, but it somehow has a tightness to it. As if it rolls off quickly below 40hz.

My main bass is/was a precision, and I use an SVT. So my go-to sound is that classic grindy rock tone (with a plectrum) with the SVT deep switch in, and a bit of mid scoop. Loads of low end, but it's more of a fat and woolly low end, and those precisiony, expressive mids. You can't get anything close to that with the Stingray. With a plectrum, you get LOADS of zingy top end, and that tight bass, with no real Fendery mids no matter what you do. It's very scooped, even when you goose the mids on the EQ

For a punk or rock gig I would leave the Stingray at home and take the Precision, unless it was something modern like RATM or RHCP etc

For a pop/funk/disco type gigs, the Stingray would be perfect. It seems to have been primarily intended for fingerstyle players. The frequencies that the pickup and preamp accentuate are ideal for a nice tight, modern fingerstyle sound. Lovely for fingerstyle

The 3 band EQ is interesting. I tend to leave everything centered. Sounds best to me that way. The treble and bass tend to either let you take far too much off, or add far too much on. The middle isn't really a traditional mid frequency knob like on a fender amp, it's more like a knob that lets you make the sound go from fairly scooped to very scooped... whatever you do, there isn't much mids

I heard someone say (and I agree) that a fender jazz (both pickups on) is more scooped than a precision, with deeper lows and higher mids. And that the Stingray is even more scooped - deeper lows and has even higher frequency mids. I think that's a good way of putting it. If there's a path from P to J, then the Stingray is the next step along

I think no matter what you do it'll sound like a Stingray. But I think it has enough to make it a fantastic bass in the right context. It's certainly not a swiss army knife, and almost certainly the wrong bass for certain things

I really do like mine. Got it off eBay for £900, and I'm glad I got it. Not sure I'd buy a new one for the prices they're asking now

Edited by Bob Lord
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I always fancied a Stingray, I just loved the look of them. I got one and could not get a sound I liked out it.

It had that classic stingray sound in buckets, but I could not get a nice P Bass thump, so I moved it on.

I sold it to Lojo (RIP) I believe he sold it soon after.

• Like 1

Okay, it's a five string but been using this for a few months now and before a USA SUB5 so have the choice of 2 band or 3 band EQ. This one really does everything I need in the band. We cover everything from Edith Piaf to the Ramones, Queen, AC/DC, Chic and beyond to fairly modern stuff like Cake by the ocean and Feel it still. Fab tonal palette, comfortable, good balance and great string spacing.  This one had a preamp change which also gives me the passive option. Only downside, I wish it were the classic shape body hence I also have the old USA SUB5.

Go for it.

IMG_20180902_154726.jpg

Edited by leschirons
Left a word out
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, leschirons said:

Okay, it's a five string but been using this for a few months now and before a USA SUB5 so have the choice of 2 band or 3 band EQ. This one really does everything I need in the band. We cover everything from Edith Piaf to the Ramones, Queen, AC/DC, Chic and beyond to fairly modern stuff like Cake by the ocean and Feel it still. Fab tonal palette, comfortable, good balance and great string spacing.  This one had a preamp change which also gives me the passive option. Only downside, I wish it were the classic shape body hence I also have the old USA SUB5.

Go for it.

IMG_20180902_154726.jpg

That’s beautiful - probably my ideal Ray! It’s a shame the new Specials all have such dark necks/boards as I feel the roasted maple clashes with some of the body colours on offer.

@Bob Lord, thanks for your write-up above. I found it a really useful read!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rodney72a said:

Have you considered an Old Smoothie? They're essentially a Classic (slab body, 2-band EQ, mute bridge) but with a different pickup.

There was one in the Classifieds recently, looks like the seller has just withdrawn it. Maybe try to tempt him - they're gorgeous basses!

Oh gosh, please don’t tempt me, the Old Smoothie’s are outstanding! ;) 

...but then so are the Classics, 2 bands, 3 bands etc. Music Man are a wonderfully consistent, quality company. 

Not to put you off the Classic, as they are great, but I’d strongly recommend you also play a new 2018 Stingray Special before you purchase. I’ve had MM’s for 22 years and my HH Special has absolutely blown me away. But it’s s very different animal to the Classic, Smoothie and older Rays, so it’ll be your call. 

• Like 1

To add another option - if you get the chance, try a Sterling - not the Asian made ones but the US Sterling.

I've had quite a few Stingrays over the years and just couldn't get the Stingray sound that I had in my head. Turns out it was a Sterling that gave me the sound that I had been looking for. Plus it has a smaller body, narrow jazz-like neck.

That is a funk machine

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

To add another option - if you get the chance, try a Sterling - not the Asian made ones but the US Sterling.

I've had quite a few Stingrays over the years and just couldn't get the Stingray sound that I had in my head. Turns out it was a Sterling that gave me the sound that I had been looking for. Plus it has a smaller body, narrow jazz-like neck.

That is a funk machine

Good call - I will take a look/listen. Thanks.

I’ve got a 2005 3EQ, a Classic and one of the new Stingray Specials. All are great basses and build quality is top notch on each one.

I tend to use them all without boosting or cutting the on board EQ but occasionally slightly boost the bass and/or treble on the Classic and Special. I haven’t had an issue with G string volume and think that’s probably due to not excessively boosting bass and treble.  I agree with previous comments that the Low end is very focussed (in a good way). 

If you are able to I suggest trying both a Classic and Stingray Special, particularly if you are considering buying new. They are both great but different in many ways (eq, neck profile, body shape, weight). I’m gigging with both and at the moment am using the Special more.

• Like 1

I’ve just sold my 2005 Stingray (great bass!) since recently buying a 2013 Classic Sabre - it totally does the classic Stingray sound and so muuuuch more, even a close P sound. The build quality and birds eye is astounding. You’d be wise to check a modern Sabre if you get chance...can’t see me ever going back to a Stingray now 😎

244540FE-B517-4980-A688-38E330972B96.thumb.jpeg.d213bff1b598df2d8e386e3180231793.jpeg

• Like 1

Another vote for the Classic - I've owned 90s Stingrays and have tried a lot of the new ones and find the Classic a much better bass in tone and playability. The fingerboard radius is 7.25 (or thereabouts) and is very comfy. 

2 band tone is great too - controllable zing and a lot of thump!

• Like 1