Why become a member? ×

Elektron Analog Drive (MIDI controlled drive/dist/fuzz)

The Twickerman

I've just placed an order for one of these for my board.

I am hoping to use it to replace my drive (Fulltone Bassdrive Mosfet) and fuzz (Wattson Super Fuzz) pedals. The heart of the board is a Boss ES-8 so I am hoping that I can save suitable presets so that I can dial-up the tones at a click of a switch.

Has anyone here used one of these? I'd be grateful for opinions!

- Nick.

AFAICS from the manual there is no MIDI program mapping and only 100 memory locations, so MIDI programs above 100 on the controlling device won't have a matching program on the Elektron, and if you want to the same drive sound on two different ES-8 patches you'll have to copy them on the Elektron.

If you are going to get involved with MIDI program mapping is one of the most useful features available so long as your devices support it.

Without program mapping, selecting program #1 on your controlling device sends MIDI program change message 1 to the receiving device(s) which in turn selects program #1. Selecting program #2 sends MIDI program change 2 and selects program #2 and so on.

If you have program mapping, the program numbers on the controlling and receiving devices don't have to correspond which gives you a lot more flexibility. For starters you don't have to duplicate patches if you use the same sound more than once. You don't run into problems where the receiving and controlling devices have different numbers of programs, and therefore after a certain point the one device no longer has corresponding programs for the other. And if like me you like to have your patches on the controlling device in order of the set, you only have move them on the controlling device, the receiving device will still select the correct patch.

HTH.

Aha!

Thanks. I can see the value - our guitarist works like that too.

My setup - and my brain - work slightly differently. I have (currently) 8 different sounds from my board - which I select by name - not sequence. For each of those sounds, the ES-8 can specify any pedal patch (on the appropriate MIDI channel for that device) so it works well for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done some "at home" (low volume) testing (I shalln't be going into the rehearsal rooms until the new year).

I am happy to post  my initial conclusion is that this thing is fantastic!

Great overdrives, distortions and fuzz (and a boost/cut) - and all programmable.

Best bit?

Loads of bass!!!!

I think this is everything I need in one (albeit big) box.

Highly recommended.

Edited by The Twickerman