Why become a member? ×

What features should all bass guitars have?

josie

7 hours ago, FinnDave said:

and by far the most important and powerful control is that sweepable mid range. 

My ibanez SR1000 has one of those from the factory. They used to be more common before the switchable frequency thing they have now. Well, the 5005 also had one but its control was so poor I replaced it with a glockenklang

54 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

My ibanez SR1000 has one of those from the factory. They used to be more common before the switchable frequency thing they have now. Well, the 5005 also had one but its control was so poor I replaced it with a glockenklang

In which case I suspect my SR1006 had it as well, being the 6 string version in the same line. The previous owner had replaced the original pre-amp with one of John East's, and fortunately for me  (unfortunately for him!) he had apparently lost the original, so couldn't; swap it back before trading it in at Bass Direct. My other Ibanez 6 has a switchable midrange, but the effect on the output is very small compared to the East pre.

On 04/11/2018 at 20:08, Lozz196 said:

I`d be hard put to describe anything other than a Fender Precision with accurate tuners that held tuning, body chamfers to make it comfy, and no neck-dive.

This... and a distinct lack of mass. I'm currently enjoying a P Bass with two separate single-coil pickups. OK, it's a Jazz, but the principle's the same. xD

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

In which case I suspect my SR1006 had it as well, being the 6 string version in the same line. The previous owner had replaced the original pre-amp with one of John East's, and fortunately for me  (unfortunately for him!) he had apparently lost the original, so couldn't; swap it back before trading it in at Bass Direct. My other Ibanez 6 has a switchable midrange, but the effect on the output is very small compared to the East pre.

Probably the same, yes, it has quite a wide range, you can do a passable wahwah effect with it!

Oh yes, looked on bass direct, that is the same model line, so by default it is volume, balance, bass/treble stacked and mid/mid frequency stacked. Its the 4 string that even though I only really play 5 strings I wouldn't sell.

Edited by Woodinblack