Why become a member? ×

Shuker J Basses.

bubinga5

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 21:46, bubinga5 said:

Im literally dribbling looking at some John's J basses. Wondering wether to sell the Sei to get one. This is GAS in its purest form. The grass is always greener. But WOW http://shukerguitars.co.uk/j-bass/

Firstly, I thought you loved your Sei? The grass isn't always greener, and you may regret getting rid of it. Secondly, to counter many of the other opinions here, I've played several Shukers and haven't liked any of them. I don't mean haven't been blown away by, I mean actually haven't liked, although I'm aware that Jon will build most things so it's perfectly possible he could build something that I really like. On the other hand, I've had 5 Seis (I think it's 5) and have played loads more, and there are very few I haven't thought were really, really nice. Of course Martin will only generally build variations on existing models, but as you're looking at Js and already have one anyway, that's not an issue. If I had to choose between the 2 based on all the basses I've played, I'd choose Sei every time. Of course YMMV.

• Like 1

I acquired a Shuker this year. It’s a custom build, but essentially a jazz shape (with a lane poor pup)I have to say it’s amazing, the neck on it is gorgeous, ergonomics are better than most jazzes I’ve played, it’s just so playable. In fact since I picked it up I’ve not gigged anything else  

BBD951F3-09E9-48F4-A887-D64AA918726C.jpeg

4182BB83-4AE8-43C8-B105-2C8A344410B5.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

Firstly, I thought you loved your Sei? The grass isn't always greener, and you may regret getting rid of it. Secondly, to counter many of the other opinions here, I've played several Shukers and haven't liked any of them. I don't mean haven't been blown away by, I mean actually haven't liked, although I'm aware that Jon will build most things so it's perfectly possible he could build something that I really like. On the other hand, I've had 5 Seis (I think it's 5) and have played loads more, and there are very few I haven't thought were really, really nice. Of course Martin will only generally build variations on existing models, but as you're looking at Js and already have one anyway, that's not an issue. If I had to choose between the 2 based on all the basses I've played, I'd choose Sei every time. Of course YMMV.

Its just GAS. I love the Sei, But the Shuker's look lovely. Holy Moly. 

29342513_1529213213844746_6315350449255874560_n-1.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Simon. said:

Please guys! Stop posting this stuff!

My bank balance does not appreciate it... 🤤

andydye - those are three beauties, but the PJ is awesome. Wow.

3 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Andy.... that is a lovely collection, without wishing to hijack the thread, can you put up some more pics of the PJ, unless you have a post elsewhere. Is that a matching headstock? 

The fretless PJ really is a special one, thanks guys :)  I'll concoct a post with a few more pics of it 

On 03/11/2018 at 22:45, Dood said:

Jon is an incredible Luthier. He has an attention to detail that is revered amongst his peers. His basses are beautiful and you aren’t alone with the dribbling that’s for sure. The Bass Players United page went in to overdrive when one of Jon’s Fretless Uberhorn basses was posted. Thousands upon thousands of likes and every single comment a positive one. Crazy!

Anyway, from experience of lots of Jon’s basses, I’m afraid I have to tell you that you need to follow your heart, otherwise you’ll always wonder if....if....

Shuker is my bass brand of choice.

This. I have three, and I've owned three more.

Given the choice of literally any bass, I'd take its equivalent budget to Jon instead.

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

A Shuker is a great bass, so is your Sei.

You don't need to own great looking basses. Print pictures of them, put them in an album and ogle them at your leisure.

This. It's so easy to be seduced by a good-looking instrument, but although that is important, it's not the be-all and end-all. And let's face it, you could never afford to buy every great looking bass you see. You'd be buying one every day!  ;-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

This. It's so easy to be seduced by a good-looking instrument, but although that is important, it's not the be-all and end-all. And let's face it, you could never afford to buy every great looking bass you see. You'd be buying one every day!  😉

Absolutely, but, buying a bass a day could be a very pleasant way to spend a few days? 😏