Why become a member? ×

Shuker J Basses.

bubinga5

Jon is an incredible Luthier. He has an attention to detail that is revered amongst his peers. His basses are beautiful and you aren’t alone with the dribbling that’s for sure. The Bass Players United page went in to overdrive when one of Jon’s Fretless Uberhorn basses was posted. Thousands upon thousands of likes and every single comment a positive one. Crazy!

Anyway, from experience of lots of Jon’s basses, I’m afraid I have to tell you that you need to follow your heart, otherwise you’ll always wonder if....if....

Shuker is my bass brand of choice.

• Like 5

I have to say @Dood, your purple headless 6 string elicits pure jealousy from me. Just outrageously stunning! Having engaged in email discussion with Jon about some upcoming mods I have planned, he seems to be a really nice guy - always a bonus when parting with one’s hard earned cash.

I’m actually considering doing one of Jon’s bass building courses at some point!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CameronJ said:

I have to say @Dood, your purple headless 6 string elicits pure jealousy from me. Just outrageously stunning! Having engaged in email discussion with Jon about some upcoming mods I have planned, he seems to be a really nice guy - always a bonus when parting with one’s hard earned cash.

I’m actually considering doing one of Jon’s bass building courses at some point!

Awww! Thank you! The original flip finish was pretty amazing, but when it went back for it's service (after 8 or 9 years active use!) it came back with the new crackled chameleon flip paint finish - and whatever he did it plays and sounds better than ever! My 7 string I think will be next for a service but no need just yet. Still going strong in to it's 10th year. Maybe nearer 11 I forget. 

Jon is a really nice guy; an understanding engineer who really knows his wood choices. I can't think of a better way to understand more about our basses, so I would recommend the course. Jon is a great teacher.

Thing is though, now I know what he is capable of, my next two basses have already been planned... on paper at least! 

• Like 3

What @Dood says. My P is probably one of Jon's plainest builds (exactly what I wanted) but I've never for a split second thought of parting with it. 

Also, I emailed Jon this week for an insurance valuation (he built the bass in 2011). Jon responded within hours. Pretty good service considering I last bought from him 7 years ago!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

What @Dood says. My P is probably one of Jon's plainest builds (exactly what I wanted) but I've never for a split second thought of parting with it. 

Also, I emailed Jon this week for an insurance valuation (he built the bass in 2011). Jon responded within hours. Pretty good service considering I last bought from him 7 years ago!

For a brief time when things were really bad, I actually put my 7 string (Doodle as it is known) up for sale. I still thank so many who sent messages telling me not to do it.  Who needs kidneys anyway, I have my flip-paint beauty still!

(I don't look like that now lol)

DanVeallDoodleShuker.jpg

DanVeallShukerDoodle7String.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Dood said:

For a brief time when things were really bad, I actually put my 7 string (Doodle as it is known) up for sale.

I know how that feels bro. At one time and in desperate straits, I was a mouse-click away from putting my beloved Wal up for sale. Thank god we never did it, eh?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

and mine...

customm4.jpg

dtwo21.jpg.69576b6bb2e1c28fbb808fa728da1ec8.jpgdtwo23.jpg.86b187e205e6804618653d126e852e82.jpg

I can't help but to get a little giddy with excitement over Jon's headless basses!

I think you are quite right to say you have your own template! I think your two have the most identifiable outline in the range surely!? (Don't change it for the next one, ok?)

Edited by Dood
  • Like 3

Funnily enough I’ve had basses built by both Martin at Sei and Jon at Shuker and both were fantastic experiences. If I had to choose though,  Jon was the more approachable and much more open to working with me on my design and build. Both very high quality builders though & all fantastic basses.

Proof of the pudding is I now own 2 Shuker Jazz basses (both shown on the Shuker web page you’ve linked to) and no Sei Jazz basses. 

• Like 2

There’s always two sides to every story I suppose, I sold my Shuker jazz as although it sounded OK, it weighed as much as a small planet (and I have a Sandberg PM5 which is lighter and that’s saying something), the pots and jack were of a poor quality (I swapped from a vol/balance/tone to a vol/vol/tone setup from KiOgon as the volume drop either side of the balance control centre was really noticeable), the body matching headstock paint was roughly done at the edges in a couple of places, some paint fell off in front of the bridge after a couple of years with no provocation etc  

Nothing major in the grand scheme of things I suppose -  maybe I just got a duff one.  It’s a pity because all the others look amazing. 

16 hours ago, Rich said:

I love this bass. The drop tuning arrangement is brilliant. 

why thank you. The drop tuning via extended fret board is nothing new in the classical world, but the more modern design is influenced by Phil Kubicki. Putting a bend well next to just seemed an obvious use of the space.

I genuinely wish I hadn't started reading this thread....... I went on the Shuker site and starting looking at the P basses. Crikey, I saw this one and fell in love with the body wood. I'd love this as a 5 string with the addition of a  J PUP plus 21 fret and with a maple board (not a rosewood type). Awwwww man, why me? 🙄😂

shuker.png

• Like 1