Why become a member? ×

Can I bring a new or second hand bass back from US?

BassYerbouti

From the UK Customs web page ...

Bringing goods into the UK ...

Allowance for other goods...
You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 (or up to £270 if you arrive by private plane or boat).

If a single item’s worth more than your allowance you pay any duty or tax on its full value, not just the value above the allowance.
Declare any goods over your allowance. Your goods could be seized if you don’t declare them.

On 05/11/2018 at 17:10, Dad3353 said:

From the UK Customs web page ...

Bringing goods into the UK ...

Allowance for other goods...
You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 (or up to £270 if you arrive by private plane or boat).

If a single item’s worth more than your allowance you pay any duty or tax on its full value, not just the value above the allowance.
Declare any goods over your allowance. Your goods could be seized if you don’t declare them.

I'm going to the states next week. Remarkably the Quilter Bass Block I am interested in (that is over the allowance anyway) is cheaper from Thoman in Germany than it is in the USA even if it was duty free! 

At 1.30 dollars to the pound I am not sure I am going to bringing much back....... 

Someone I know bought a bass in the UK and shipped it out when he was living overseas and claimed the VAT back.  His overseas stay was cut short and he brought it back a few months later.  No one stopped him at the airport, 20% saving. The same fella also bought a new bass in the States and wasn't challenged when he brought it into the UK despite the case looking like it had just left the factory. 

Beware planning a purchase in the states though - sales taxes are generally in addition to advertised prices and may make the purchase seem less attractive, especially if you import offiially and pay duty.  In addition many manufacturers warranties wont apply if you export the bass yourself - ie you can't register a Fender bass with a serial number which they supplied for US sale on the Fender website from the UK.