Why become a member? ×

Not A Word About The Queen Movie Bohemian Rhapsody?

Bluewine

Great piece of entertainment and some great performances, but certainly not factual. Perhaps there's a tendency to expect movies to be too much of the latter these days. I remember watching The Last Waltz as a documentary, and then on reading Levon Helm's biography realising that it was probably far from it, so I guess this is nothing new :)

On 09/11/2018 at 07:01, Beedster said:

remember watching The Last Waltz as a documentary, and then on reading Levon Helm's biography realising that it was probably far from it, so I guess this is nothing new :)

An exact snap here. Used to love the Last Waltz but  then read 'This Wheel's On Fire', which is great, but could never see "the last waltz" in the same way again. What a twunt Robbie Robinson was.

On the plus side, the book made the political/a-r-s-e-h-o-l-e problems in my then band look fairly minor.

Edited by Count Bassy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/11/2018 at 16:03, mcnach said:

I didn't realise Freddie knew about his illness so early on (1985). I always had thought that he found out much later, closer to his death.

They changed a lot of stuff around in the film. In reality, Freddie was diagnosed in 1987 and didn't officially tell his band mates until 1989.

Another thing they really took huge liberties with in the film was the story of how Freddie met Brian and Roger. In real life he'd known them for a long time before he joined the band - indeed I believed they even lived together for a while!

S.P.

• Thanks 1

It was entertaining. Haven't been to the cinema for years and it was a good film for the big screen and surround sound. I don't know the biography of Queen so I wasn't aware of the exact liberties taken with the timelines etc. So for me it was very enjoyable and a great reminder of what a unique and formidable group they were 

• Like 1

I must admit, I did see the film and enjoyed it. But then again I'm not the biggest fan of Queen, and only really know the big hits, which is what the film is based on.

When asked my opinion the next day at work, I said it was "Mamma Mia" for blokes.

Incidentally my daughter has just asked for Mamma Mia II for Christmas, which is fine, but she wants the two disc set, which contains the film, along with a singalong DVD. I got looked at with quite the disdain when I suggested to my wife that la daughter could simply put on the Abba Greatest Hits album and singalong to that!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/11/2018 at 02:47, Jus Lukin said:

Actually, one big flaw for me was that I was very aware of the wigs and makeup all the way through.

I know that late 70's and 80's hair could be fairly unnatural looking as it was, but that particular element had a made-for-TV-movie sort of feel to it for me.

Agreed I thought the drummer and some of the early FM wigs were pretty bad. 

Blue

I liked the movie. I think it's hard to make a major movie about a rock band. Are the stories interesting enough for a movie considering most who go see it are not musicians.

I'll make my " old guy" comment now.

Best rock movie ever, " A Hard Days Night" The Beatles.

Blue

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I liked the movie. I think it's hard to make a major movie about a rock band. Are the stories interesting enough for a movie considering most who go see it are not musicians.

Blue

Beatles? Never heard of ‘em... 

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Blue

Spinal Tap for me Bluewine. 

Another great band movie was Still Crazy with Jimmy Nail, Billy Connolly, Bill Nighy and Timothy Spall.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

• 1 month later...

We watched it last night. Superb movie. I'm not a huge Queen fan but enjoyed it immensely. I realise a lot of the facts are substituted for artistic licence, but again, it was superb and Rami deserves an Oscar!

• Like 1

On 06/12/2018 at 11:59, Stylon Pilson said:

Oooh, has this turned into a "best rock movie" thread? Okay, I'll bite. The following are all, in my opinion, essential viewing:

• Spinal Tap
  • The Last Waltz
  • Stop Making Sense
  • Anvil! The Story Of Anvil
  • Searching For Sugar Man

S.P.

The story of Anvil was a great movie!

• 8 months later...

A bit late to the party, but I watched it last night. Yes the timeline was ar5e backwards at times, but if you don’t know their history well, it didn’t detract from being rather entertaining  IMO. I thought John Deacon’s portrayal was very well observed and the bass level and tone in the mix was very pleasing. All the main characters were pretty well done, although Roger’s portrayal seemed less so than the others and those playing the minders and management were a bit 2 dimensional. During the film I was reminded that I really like the first 3 albums, it’s the later,  more overblown stuff that I could live without (still musically solid, just not my cup of tea). If you haven’t seen it, give it a whirl.

• Like 1

I watched it in July on a 787 Dreamliner over the Atlantic to the Dominican Republic (honeymoon!). 

I had over 8 hours to pass and this film helped a great degree. I realised there was some artistic licensing being applied but I didn't like the Stingray making an appearance. 

Edited by Machines

17 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I enjoyed it. I saw it as a movie based on Queen's story and a tribute to Freddy, not a documentary.

I think it balanced a lot of potentially difficult content with making it a movie for a wide audience well without bowdlerising anything.

Exactly this. 

Only downside for me was that I think the cinema I saw it in had a lot of dust in the air, because towards the end my eyes kept watering. It must've been in the air because my wife's eyes were also watering a lot. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1