Why become a member? ×

Not A Word About The Queen Movie Bohemian Rhapsody?

Bluewine

I really enjoyed it, I wish it’d gone on a bit longer. 

I loved the Brian May version of the 20th Century Fox music, I did a geeky guffaw at the start.

It seemed Rami Malek settled into the role more as the film went on, assuming it was filmed in sequence...the bit with the Cap and sunglasses he was so like the real deal.

But the chaps playing Brian May and John Deacon were unbelievable - sounded, acted and looked just like them. 

Minor quibble is some dodgy hand mining, but you can’t win it all.

And on the whole, instrument choice was Bob on. Apart from a shiny stingray classic being in place of a pre EB, but was much better than the ch5 documentary where BM was playing and Epiphone SG 😂

• Like 2

Just been to see it at the cinema. A rather uneven movie, at times completely unconvincing and at other times strangely moving. Lots of liberties with the sequencing of events and songs, which irritated me a bit. I thought that the music bits were pretty good. 

8 hours ago, peteb said:

Just been to see it at the cinema. A rather uneven movie, at times completely unconvincing and at other times strangely moving. Lots of liberties with the sequencing of events and songs, which irritated me a bit. I thought that the music bits were pretty good. 

I was not sure about it when I went to watch it, but reasoned "well, I can always just close my eyes and listen to the music and nothing else" :)

Of course, you need to like Queen for that.

I've watched it twice now (Unlimited Cineworld card, accompanying different people)... still enjoyable. But I'm getting to the point where I need a break from certain songs :D

8 hours ago, peteb said:

Please can you tell folks here who know less than you, what was out of sequence?

Just a thought here: Is it possible that liberties had to be taken to keep the time down to 2 hours?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

And on the whole, instrument choice was Bob on. Apart from a shiny stingray classic being in place of a pre EB, but was much better than the ch5 documentary where BM was playing and Epiphone SG 😂

I noticed the Stingray too but wasn’t 100% certain as to post;  my wife thought I was a geek. Anyhow I loved the film although my Queen mad friend informed me of a few minor inaccuracies ....but still a great film. 

2 hours ago, Grangur said:

Please can you tell folks here who know less than you, what was out of sequence?

Just a thought here: Is it possible that liberties had to be taken to keep the time down to 2 hours?

Freddie wasn't diagnosed with Aids until well after Live Aid - that's the big one. It wasn't the big emotional reason for Live Aid performance being so epic...

Edited by cetera
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cetera said:

Freddie was diagnosed with Aids until well after Live Aid - that's the big one. It wasn't the big emotional reason for Live Aid performance being so epic...

Diagnosed or announced? Isn't it possible the band knew, but kept under-wraps - as was said in the film?
But agreed, for the film it makes the Band-Aid scene so much more emotional.

22 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Diagnosed or announced? Isn't it possible the band knew, but kept under-wraps - as was said in the film?
But agreed, for the film it makes the Band-Aid scene so much more emotional.

Apparently not. It was a couple of years before any diagnosis occurred.

Other mistakes include how Freddie met Mary Austin and the band, Freddie having a moustache at the time of writing 'We Will Rock You' and timeline/factual issues around Freddie's solo album/supposedly the band breaking up etc etc
The Mike Myers character (Ray Foster) is fictitious too....

I spotted them at the time but chose to enjoy the film as 'entertainment' rather than a factual record.

Here's some more info I've just discovered: https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1041132/Bohemian-Rhapsody-movie-true-story-how-accurate-Freddie-Mercury-fact

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grangur said:

Yes, there's always a part of true historical sequence that doesn't work in a feature film. 

I think they changed and condenced how Mercury met and joined the band in order to focus more on the bands years as a group as oposed to the build up.I think Mercury went to school with the original singer from Smile and it was the original singer that introduced Mercury to the band.

I also think Mercury was still wearing long hair when they performed We Will Rock You in 1977 at Madison Square Garden. It wasn't till later that he changed his look with the short hair and mustache.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I also think Mercury was still wearing long hair when they performed We Will Rock You in 1977 at Madison Square Garden. It wasn't till later that he changed his look with the short hair and mustache.

There's a really good documentary on the BBC iPlayer about the recording of the News Of The World album and subsequent US tour. Freddie Mercury has shorter hair than he did at the time of Bohemian Rhapsody but still not as short as his later "clone" look.

• Like 1

I'm not and never was that much of a fan that i'd have noticed those items. I have always thought they were a fantastic powerful live band that knew how to entertain an audience. The Live Aid gig chnaged my perception of them to be fair. I bought their greatest hits 3 CD album many years after Freddie passed away because they had some great songs but i thought they had some pretty aweful songs that i just didn't like and some of them were huge hits for the band so what do i know :laugh1:

I'm still gonna buy the DVD when it comes out tho. For posterity of course.

Dave 

11 hours ago, Grangur said:

The obvious musical one is playing Fat Bottomed Girls on what seems to be the Sheer Heart Attack tour. Most of the factual ones seem covered by that video clip above. I always understood that Freddie was friends with Smile long before he joined, and I had heard that he had even worked with Roger Taylor on his clothes stall in Kensington market before he was ever in the band.

Also, I thought that FM re-joining the band, agreeing to do Live Aid and being diagnosed with AIDS in the space of one week was pushing it a bit. This is not to mention tracking down his future partner and introducing him to his parents (whilst coming out in the process) on the way to Wembley Stadium! The story I heard was that Freddie didn’t want to do Live Aid as he wanted a break after being out on tour, but was persuaded by the size of the potential worldwide audience he could reach with one show…

• Like 1

On 06/11/2018 at 12:58, cetera said:

Apparently not. It was a couple of years before any diagnosis occurred.

Other mistakes include how Freddie met Mary Austin and the band, Freddie having a moustache at the time of writing 'We Will Rock You' and timeline/factual issues around Freddie's solo album/supposedly the band breaking up etc etc
The Mike Myers character (Ray Foster) is fictitious too....

I spotted them at the time but chose to enjoy the film as 'entertainment' rather than a factual record.

Here's some more info I've just discovered: https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1041132/Bohemian-Rhapsody-movie-true-story-how-accurate-Freddie-Mercury-fact

The Ray Foster character may be fictitious... but it's clearly based on (loosely) on Norman Sheffield. "Death on Two Legs (Dedicated to...)", the first track on "A night at the Opera" was composed with him in mind, which fits. And he looked like this:

Norman_Sheffield_2013.jpg

I liked Bob Geldof and the hilarious David Hepworth next to him in the "Giz yer feckin money" scene. 

And spotting who's who at Live Aid - eg a mostly hidden David Bowie very early on, Dire Straits finishing Sultans Of Swing as Queen silly billy around in their caravan, and apparently the U2 drummer somewhere to be seen as well.

As others have said the Live Aid sequence is goose-pimple good. 

On 06/11/2018 at 20:56, peteb said:

Also, I thought that FM re-joining the band, agreeing to do Live Aid and being diagnosed with AIDS in the space of one week was pushing it a bit. 

I've not watched the video above, but this has got some good fact vs fiction info as well - https://www.movienco.co.uk/news/bohemian-rhapsody-the-real-story-vs-the-film/ and also https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/freddie-mercury-queen-biopic-bohemian-rhapsody-movie-fact-check-746195/

....Mostly regarding that the band didn't split up, Live Aid wasn't a reunion, etc etc.

8 hours ago, simes said:

What I would like to know is: did they use Brian's actual guitar or a copy.

Who knows?

Brian seemed very hands on. I saw a clip of Brian adjusting the actors wig to make it look as close to what Brian's hair looked like when Brian was in his 20s.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine