Why become a member? ×

Not A Word About The Queen Movie Bohemian Rhapsody?

Bluewine

13 minutes ago, discreet said:

I was a fan as a kid, but not now. Would a non-fan bother going to see it?  Queen were a little bit successful and quite famous, so I'm guessing there are still enough fanatics around to support the film...

Never been a huge fan, but i do like a lot of their songs. I do get bored with their sound if i listen for too long.  I find it very 'samey', although i do appreciate their talent.

Edited by dave_bass5

19 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Never been a huge fan, but i do like a lot of their songs. I do get bored with their sound if i listen for too long.  I find it very 'samey', although i do appreciate their talent.

Absolutely, you can't argue with that. They're old school, from a time when pop music wasn't all written by the same two people... yes there was Chinnichap and later SAW, but you know what I mean...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, discreet said:

Absolutely, you can't argue with that. They're old school, from a time when pop music wasn't all written by the same two people... yes there was Chinnichap and later SAW, but you know what I mean...

For me its more the guitar tone and vocal lines that bore me after a while. Again, i do like them but i just cant listen to them too ling in one sitting.  

7 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

For me its more the guitar tone and vocal lines that bore me after a while. Again, i do like them but i just cant listen to them too ling in one sitting.  

Their super-lush multi-track overdub techniques are impressive, but can certainly get a bit wearing after a while. I preferred their live work, they made an incredibly huge racket for what was essentially a rock trio with a singer.

• Like 2

Just now, discreet said:

Their super-lush multi-track overdub techniques are impressive, but can certainly get a bit wearing after a while. I preferred their live work, they made an incredibly huge racket for what was essentially a rock trio with a singer.

oh yes, a very powerful live band. i saw them on the Live Killers (or whatever it was billed as back then)tour, never heard a live band fill out a venue with so much coming from so little since.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Them and a few other were parts of peoples lives without trying Quo,Lizzy,Queen etc chucking singles out that jumped into our living rooms ,Totp,tv shows ,guests on this and that.You felt you knew them so you have a big lump of people who are casual fans .Just part of my early years without buying a record

• Like 1

19 hours ago, discreet said:

It might be pretty good, then. Back in the day when people read reviews in Time Out before going anywhere in London, you could be sure of a good time if you exclusively went to things that the Time Out journos didn't like... but generally if the public like something, then I won't. Viz: Strictly, BGT, EastEnders, any currently-successful pop act, pizza, burgers, painted-on eyebrows, the Ford Mondeo, artificially-enhanced buttocks, and on and on.

Actually, the Mondeo is a good car. But you get my drift.

I'm so cool, I don't like anything you like!

On 02/11/2018 at 09:25, ezbass said:

They’re very complementary about it on Planet Rock, saying that the performances are spot on. I’ve heard from a friend (who enjoyed it) that they sometimes play fast and loose with the timeline, but if you can overlook that, it’s rather good.

Saw it last night, I’d agree with this. I liked it, the missus was unsure...

4 minutes ago, King Tut said:

First gig I ever went to was the Hyde Park show in 76. Saw them loads of times. Watched the film last night and loved it. The audience loved it. Loads of laughing out loud and for me, tears!! What a big girl, but music can get me like that!

Well that's good to hear amongst some of the more negative comments!! I'm not a great fan of Queen - but like some of their stuff but went to the musical with an open mind (as I did with a famous Andrew Lloyd Webber one - and I disliked his music) and like millions of others, thoroughly enjoyed it (liked the ALW one as well). I shall probably try and get to see the film as well. 

Now if someone made a film about Morrissey or Paul Weller...... even then I might go out of curiosity!! 😧

I went with the family on Wednesday night (to avoid the darned Halloween trick or treaters). A very enjoyable film we all thought. They kept it light, a celebration of Queen - there is a lot of potential for a much darker and gritty portrayal of Mercury's life that I'm glad they resisted temptation and glossed over. Of course it's mainly about Freddie, as he was the one with a personality :) I thought Malek did a good job. It's tough to emulate Freddie, especially with prosthetic teeth (yes, he did look like he had a couple of Werthers originals tucked in his cheeks). I'd have liked a little more from the 70s as it seemed a bit of a rush to Live Aid. However the couple of hours or so flew by, some good humorous moments, and the film left enough of an impression that we spent the following evening watching Queen videos on YouTube 

• Like 1

On 02/11/2018 at 05:58, Chiliwailer said:

My friend worked on it and said that Sasha Baron Cohen left the project because the script was changed to leave out all the ‘finer details’ and to not offend Freddies family, so they went for a more bubble gum friendly film, leaving out the raw details. 

Sure it’ll still be fun to watch though. 

I think it was pretty well balanced. It more than hinted at certain other aspects of his life that tabloids would love to write about but were unnecessary to expand on in the film, in my opinion. 

On 02/11/2018 at 11:07, 12stringbassist said:

I'm looking forward to seeing it myself. The backlash in the press about it seems a bit ridiculous.
What do people want?

"people" want dirt... so those "people" are disappointed (people with quotation marks to indicate that's people as defined by certain press)

3 hours ago, mcnach said:

I think it was pretty well balanced. It more than hinted at certain other aspects of his life that tabloids would love to write about but were unnecessary to expand on in the film, in my opinion. 

Sure, the context of my post was that it was meant to be a portrayal of Feddys life, but the film took a turn and moved away from that. The consensus on the set was that  the film was watered down. 

Personally, I’m not convinced its ok to spill the beans on someone’s life if they haven’t said it’s ok, so either way I don’t have an opinion. 

1 hour ago, Chiliwailer said:

Sure, the context of my post was that it was meant to be a portrayal of Feddys life, but the film took a turn and moved away from that. The consensus on the set was that  the film was watered down. 

Personally, I’m not convinced its ok to spill the beans on someone’s life if they haven’t said it’s ok, so either way I don’t have an opinion. 

That's what would make me uncomfortable about the movie if it went too much into his personal life: the fact that they kept a lot of it under wraps while it was going on means that he/they did not particularly want to make it all public. So out of respect I'd rather it stays that way.

I didn't realise Freddie knew about his illness so early on (1985). I always had thought that he found out much later, closer to his death. I like how the band kept things private, and despite the obvious falling out when he went solo, they still respected each other. I think that's something that says a lot about them as human beings, and it would be wrong to break it now in order to make a movie a little more... 'sensational'. In my opinion, of course.

• Like 4

I saw it today.

I loved it. It was a really good rock movie.

Keep in mind I'm not real picky or critical about this kind of stuff. I went to the theater to be entertained and I was.

Was it me or did the bass player Joseph Mazello  look a lot like John Deacon?

Blue

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We went last night. We like their music but we're not dedicates fans as such. So can't comment on time lines.

IMHO they did enough on Freddie's private life. His family struggled with it then and there's no need to drag it out any further. 

As @blue says, John Deacon was an amazingly good look a like, and acted pretty well too.

We'll probably go again,  as we have Cineworld Unlimited. 

• Like 5

Saw it last night. I'm not a Queen 'fan' but enjoy their music so went with an open mind to watch an entertaining film, not a documentary. 

I really enjoyed it, everything musically was realistic enough, more so than a lot of films with actors playing musicians. 

I found it quite emotional in places (glad it was dark in there) and uplifting and joyous in others. It said enough about Freddies life without going into unnecessary gory details and of course the film centres on Freddie, he was the star in Queen so was the the star in the film. All in all I think it's a great film. 

I liked the nod from Mike Myers towards the Wayne's World scene which was slipped in. 

• Like 5