Why become a member? ×

Not A Word About The Queen Movie Bohemian Rhapsody?

Bluewine

My friend worked on it and said that Sasha Baron Cohen left the project because the script was changed to leave out all the ‘finer details’ and to not offend Freddies family, so they went for a more bubble gum friendly film, leaving out the raw details. 

Sure it’ll still be fun to watch though. 

• Like 3

They’re very complementary about it on Planet Rock, saying that the performances are spot on. I’ve heard from a friend (who enjoyed it) that they sometimes play fast and loose with the timeline, but if you can overlook that, it’s rather good.

Edited by ezbass

trouble with films like this is if they put the grittier stuff in they're accused of sensationalising it, leave it out and and they're accused of being 'bubble gum friendly'

I won't be going, not a big Queen fan, my partner is though, I'm sure she'll like it, as always, if you really like Queen you'll love the film.

I'll watch it when it comes on TV

58 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

The backlash in the press about it seems a bit ridiculous.

It might be pretty good, then. Back in the day when people read reviews in Time Out before going anywhere in London, you could be sure of a good time if you exclusively went to things that the Time Out journos didn't like... but generally if the public like something, then I won't. Viz: Strictly, BGT, EastEnders, any currently-successful pop act, pizza, burgers, painted-on eyebrows, the Ford Mondeo, artificially-enhanced buttocks, and on and on.

Actually, the Mondeo is a good car. But you get my drift.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, discreet said:

but generally if the public like something, then I won't. Viz: Strictly, BGT, EastEnders, any currently-successful pop act, pizza, burgers, painted-on eyebrows, the Ford Mondeo, artificially-enhanced buttocks, and on and on.

I was going to say that I had you down as a bit of a Viz fan, but then I realised you were using the word and not talking about the magazine!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, discreet said:

It might be pretty good, then. Back in the day when people read reviews in Time Out before going anywhere in London, you could be sure of a good time if you exclusively went to things that the Time Out journos didn't like... but generally if the public like something, then I won't. Viz: Strictly, BGT, EastEnders, any currently-successful pop act, pizza, burgers, painted-on eyebrows, the Ford Mondeo, artificially-enhanced buttocks, and on and on.

Actually, the Mondeo is a good car. But you get my drift.

Agree with you mostly  but there is a case for artificially enhanced buttocks. 👍 Not all are blessed with great posteriors 😥. Some I've seen look like sacks of spanners or are even cheek-less!😱 .

As for the Queen film I'll be giving it the same wide swerve that I've given to their musical. If I'm gonna be shelling out a tenner plus for the privilege of risking DVT I'll save my dosh for Sharknado VIII ☺️

20 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Agree with you mostly  but there is a case for artificially enhanced buttocks. 👍 Not all are blessed with great posteriors 😥. Some I've seen look like sacks of spanners or are even cheek-less!😱 .

As for the Queen film I'll be giving it the same wide swerve that I've given to their musical. If I'm gonna be shelling out a tenner plus for the privilege of risking DVT I'll save my dosh for Sharknado VIII ☺️

Nah, for me it's 'real bum or no bum'. Sharknado! Now you're talking! Never fails to deliver.

For me the movie was disapointing. It seems that there was more of an emphasis on making sure the band members would win first prize at a look a like contest, than on performance acting which was poor IMO,

Malik's performance just lacked conviction and he looked like he was sucking on marbles in his attempt to replicate Mercury's gob. 

Why bother recreating the live aid performance?.It was nothing more than an effort at high end mimicry IMO. The real thing is on youtube for all to see.

The movie needed a skilled actor to grab it by the scruff of the neck and get it over the line and unfortanately Malik was not the man IMO. 

Just my 2 cents worth.

15 minutes ago, leroydiamond said:

For me the movie was disapointing. It seems that there was more of an emphasis on making sure the band members would win first prize at a look a like contest, than on performance acting which was poor IMO,

Malik's performance just lacked conviction and he looked like he was sucking on marbles in his attempt to replicate Mercury's gob. 

Why bother recreating the live aid performance?.It was nothing more than an effort at high end mimicry IMO. The real thing is on youtube for all to see.

The movie needed a skilled actor to grab it by the scruff of the neck and get it over the line and unfortanately Malik was not the man IMO. 

Just my 2 cents worth.

There's a massve lump of people on the planet have never seen Live aid or most of what they did ,wether they would go to see it ,who knows .The test is wether its watchable not being a big Queen fan

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Cant find any way to delete this post.

You could edit it. Change it to something like, 'Wow, I'm definitely going to see this! I loved Freddie Mercury me, and fantasised about being his boyfriend!'

Or, a paragraph or two more in keeping with your own proclivities. You know, something appropriate... :biggrin:

1 hour ago, jazzmanb said:

There's a massve lump of people on the planet have never seen Live aid or most of what they did ,wether they would go to see it ,who knows .The test is wether its watchable not being a big Queen fan

I am not a big Queen fan, though love their first album and full marks for their live aid performance. However, to put it mildly, I was underwhelmed by the movie. 

Edited by leroydiamond

20 minutes ago, discreet said:

You could edit it. Change it to something like, 'Wow, I'm definitely going to see this! I loved Freddie Mercury me, and fantasised about being his boyfriend!'

Or, a paragraph or two more in keeping with your own proclivities. You know, something appropriate... :biggrin:

I was going to edit to say 'cant wait to download this one',  but i felt it better to come clean and admit i didn't read every post 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jazzmanb said:

The test is wether its watchable not being a big Queen fan

I was a fan as a kid, but not now. Would a non-fan bother going to see it?  Queen were a little bit successful and quite famous, so I'm guessing there are still enough fanatics around to support the film...