Why become a member? ×

HPF + LPF

Ruck

On 01/11/2018 at 15:25, Happy Jack said:

Do you actually need both?

Yeah im a Bit Crusher abuser and sometimes need to tame the crazy fuzz settings. The HPF is the must have however. One of my pedals kicks out serious subs that need to be completely cut out. 

On 01/11/2018 at 16:13, jrixn1 said:

Depending on your exact scenario, perhaps a Zoom multi-effects unit like B1on, MS-60B, or B3n.  They have a few options for HPF (e.g. `AcBs Pre`), and one of the cab simulations could play the part of a LPF.

Which is the best for the cab sim and hpf? 

21 hours ago, Opticaleye said:

https://schalltechnik04.de/en/instructions/vong-filterung

If you're handy with a soldering iron.....

I've just bought a Broughton HPF and have to say that it's worth the money even including the import duty etc..

I have recently bought the kit for the Vong, though haven't got around to assembling it yet.  It looks well thought out though. 

10 hours ago, pete.young said:

A Micro Thumpinator would sort that out, they come up used in the For Sale forum from time to time. 

I have one :) unfortunately the 30hz hpf doesnt quite cut it. Even with the filter on my GK 1001rb engaged my Barefaced Big Twin 2 is still kicking out serious flappy lows

Edited by Ruck

On 02/11/2018 at 19:31, Ruck said:

Yeah im a Bit Crusher abuser and sometimes need to tame the crazy fuzz settings. The HPF is the must have however. One of my pedals kicks out serious subs that need to be completely cut out. 

8 hours ago, Ruck said:

I have one :) unfortunately the 30hz hpf doesnt quite cut it. Even with the filter on my GK 1001rb engaged my Barefaced Big Twin 2 is still kicking out serious flappy lows

Sounds intriguing. Which pedal are you using that is kicking out subs to out do a Thumpinator?

A DOD Meatbox? 

On 02/11/2018 at 20:07, Beer of the Bass said:

I have recently bought the kit for the Vong, though haven't got around to assembling it yet.  It looks well thought out though. 

Oh, I'd be interested to see how you like it when you build it!

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds intriguing. Which pedal are you using that is kicking out subs to out do a Thumpinator?

A DOD Meatbox? 

Iron Ether FMeron, although I reckon the Thumpinator is still doing its job. Best guess is I need something to cut around 40-80hz if I am to utilise the FMeron without long term damage to speakers and really annoying sound engineers. 

Edited by Ruck

1 minute ago, Ruck said:

Iron Ether FMeron

Oh that's really interesting. That was a pedal I had thought about getting a while back, but then got distracted and ended up with a Markbass SS and then subsequently "upgraded" to a Panda FI.

I wasn't aware that it could churn out speaker crushing lows! 

And unlike the Meatbox, it will do a ton of stuff besides. Hmmm...maybe worth my re-visiting getting one of these. (Particularly as I've very recently got a Thumpinator too :)

How are you using yours? Any clips of you using it?

35 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Oh that's really interesting. That was a pedal I had thought about getting a while back, but then got distracted and ended up with a Markbass SS and then subsequently "upgraded" to a Panda FI.

I wasn't aware that it could churn out speaker crushing lows! 

And unlike the Meatbox, it will do a ton of stuff besides. Hmmm...maybe worth my re-visiting getting one of these. (Particularly as I've very recently got a Thumpinator too :)

How are you using yours? Any clips of you using it?

Most of the demos online are using the FMeron with high FM settings and im not so much a fan of that sound. So I mostly use it with the FM control set all the way down or just before that. The other thing you will find if you get your hands on one is the triggering.  Its a little fussy, but when you've figured it out its spot on and very quick.  Unfortunately you have to feed it a signal devoid of highs and high mids if you want it to trigger reliably on a low E on a 4-string for example.  However playing a Low E or anything lower on a 5-string's B string and it appears to be much less fussy. Im using a P-Bass 4-string with thomastik infeld jazz flats with the tone rolled all the way back.

The band Im in probably wont be comfortable sharing out early material :) I will try sort out some recordings into my soundcard soon!

Edited by Ruck
  • Thanks 1

Just been looking at the Mooer Radar cab sim pedal and it has built in and, according to the manual, adjustable HP and LP filters, as well as EQ, power amp and cab sims. No details as to what the available settings are for the filters or what slope the filters have though...

Very interesting little pedal nonetheless!

Edit:from a user on that other site, HPF is adjustable from 15Hz in 5Hz steps. 5 band eq has sweepable mid points. 

Edited by Bigwan

In a mix taming the bottom end is essential - I'm about to build the Vong with this in mind - my issue is primarily with a meatball clone pedal generating a lot of low as the evelope closes.  I'd have thought the Vong with it's variable -12dB/Oct HP filter might be a bit much in terms of 'taming' probably more in the order of removing!  Low shelf EQ might be nicer - like the baxandall in an ampeg style eq?

I built the vong guy's pumpernickle compressor and I really like that, so I'm looking forward to hearing the vong!

3 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Just been looking at the Mooer Radar cab sim pedal and it has built in and, according to the manual, adjustable HP and LP filters, as well as EQ, power amp and cab sims. No details as to what the available settings are for the filters or what slope the filters have though...

Very interesting little pedal nonetheless!

Edit:from a user on that other site, HPF is adjustable from 15Hz in 5Hz steps. 5 band eq has sweepable mid points. 

Nice! and so tiny, thanks! B3n looked good but the size was going to be a slight issue.

23 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

In a mix taming the bottom end is essential - I'm about to build the Vong with this in mind - my issue is primarily with a meatball clone pedal generating a lot of low as the evelope closes.  I'd have thought the Vong with it's variable -12dB/Oct HP filter might be a bit much in terms of 'taming' probably more in the order of removing!  Low shelf EQ might be nicer - like the baxandall in an ampeg style eq?

I built the vong guy's pumpernickle compressor and I really like that, so I'm looking forward to hearing the vong!

I built the Vong - I think you're going to like it :)

They really are outstanding kits.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ahpook said:

I built the Vong - I think you're going to like it :)

They really are outstanding kits. 

Cool!  I'm half way through - just drilled the case.  I agree, great kits, but also well thought out pedals - the pumpernickle was about the only pedal I could find that ticked all my boxes in any form - clean sounding comp with enough controls to be meaningful (not just more or less squash!), AND blend.  Add the blinking lights and I'm in heaven!

• Like 1