Why become a member? ×

Duffer's guide to writing lyrics....

solo4652

Doesn't matter whether you're a novelist or a songwriter, you always start with vaguely autobiographical stuff.

This is a bit like singing and playing bass at the same time. Get the bassline sorted first, then worry about singing.

Write about what you know until you're comfortable with writing. Once you're happy with the writing bit, engage your imagination and make things up.

• Like 2

Less facetiously, Jack is spot on about going with what you know... stuff from you, and what I've found really useful (seriously), when I know what I want to say but not quite how to complete a phrase, is googling 'what rhymes with (insert last word of previous line here)'. There's usually something that fits the bill. 

• Sad 1

I have been writing poetry on and off for many years, and could probably raid my "back catalogue" *cough* for start-point phrases and ideas. For all I know, some of my poems may even work as lyrics. Trouble is, my musical knowledge and theory is pretty scant. To what extent would that impact upon writing song lyrics? Also, to what extent do you consciously write a hook into lyrics? Or do you concentrate on the meaning and poetry first, and then maybe attempt to fit some rhythm/tune around that? I feel I could do the former, but not the latter.

Like MacDaddy says, don't overthink it.

Write a whole bunch of stuff, and you'll realise that there are lyrical hooks there if you look for them.

Musical theory? What's that got to do with the lyrics? Caesar's Palace, Morning Glory, silly human race.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Write a whole bunch of stuff, and you'll realise that there are lyrical hooks there if you look for them.

Also bear in mind that you don't have to share your early drafts with anyone. Be prepared to prune, revamp and redraft, ideally in a highly flammable notebook.

And if you're ever feeling self-conscious about your lyrics, put a Human League record on and reassure yourself that some people really do get away with any old Jackson Pollocks.

• Like 1

the lyrics to some of my favourite songs are complete gibberish - I don;t think Ronnie James Dio wrote anything that makes the slightest bit if sense. Chris Cornell is another one.  Doesn't mean they don't work brilliantly in the songs, and create a mood rather than a clear narrative

so, don't lose any sleep over it, just crack on

or search "how to write song lyrics" in Amazon...

After a quick google search it seems there aren't many books solely about lyric writing but there are scrillions about general songwriting which have sections on writing lyrics. And it doesn't necessarily need to cost a fortune to get hold of some of them. I just searched my County libraries website for songwriting and it pulled up three or four of the books that get a good rating on Amazon, also the book 'Writing better lyrics : the essential guide to powerful songwriting' by Pat Pattison which seems to be one of the few recently published lyric-specific books out there. So try the library.

Frankly, I'd dive into a few of those books, compare / contrast, make some notes then start writing. The more you write the better you'll get.

I don't know about anyone else but my approach is usually (but not always): decide on genre > think about a 'situation' > come up with a lyrical hook > find a comfortable rhythm and tempo that fits under the line > structure a chorus > write the verses > write a bridge (if necessary) > kick it around in a basic form for while > structure an arrangement > record demo > take to band > encounter utter indifference > rinse and repeat.

Edited by skankdelvar

10 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

The trick about writing good lyrics
Is to just use your sense of empirics
When you come to use 'Orange'
You'll just have to write 'Sporange'
You'll have everyone in hysterics.

if the cat

can sit on the mat

on the floor by the door

then the hinge

can be orange

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, solo4652 said:

Any suggestions, please? I've done a quick web search, but I'd welcome any and all suggestions.

I've been reading a book called 10 Steps to Effective Storytelling, by Andrea Stolpe.

It looks at useful stuff like how to come up with content for songs, how and where to use that for the best to make things sound good.

Worth the £12 it costs on Amazon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

the lyrics to some of my favourite songs are complete gibberish - I don;t think Ronnie James Dio wrote anything that makes the slightest bit if sense. Chris Cornell is another one.  Doesn't mean they don't work brilliantly in the songs, and create a mood rather than a clear narrative

so, don't lose any sleep over it, just crack on

or search "how to write song lyrics" in Amazon...

Now that hadn't occurred to me! However, for me, lyrics should be meaningful. Also, they should rhythm, and they scan. Maybe this is where I'm going wrong - trying too hard. Here's an example. I've just been to the barbers. While waiting, I jotted down a few lines. Bear with me. Please be gentle with this heart of mine.

Most of my women inhabit my past,

and all of those women took me to task.

Never so lonely, now ever so clear

that fear of short-falling should stay in my past.

More verses would tell of moving on, recovery, growing, optimism, being cherished for the first time ever. I'd re-work the last line of that first verse for the last line of each verse. Title = Future past.

Too deep for song lyrics? Trying too hard? 

3 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I go back to lyrics I've written after about a week, it's surprising how 'the best thing you've ever written' are absolute rubbish when the initial enthusiasm has worn off

Exactly the same with my over-wrought hand-wringing "poetry"! Awful.

23 minutes ago, solo4652 said:

Most of my women inhabit my past,

and all of those women took me to task.

Never so lonely, now ever so clear

that fear of short-falling should stay in my past.

All my ex-floozies

Did me down low

But now I see clearly

I'm past that, and how..!