Why become a member? ×

Adjustable Bridges

therealting

I’ve put up with the badly-butchered bridge on my acoustic double bass for too long, so I’m thinking of replacing it with an adjustable one.

Is there a huge difference between different ones? Is it worth the almost £200 difference between the most and least expensive ones on Amazon for example (the cheapest and most popular is £25)? The impression I get is that it’s the fitting that makes the biggest difference.

My bass is a carved solid top Zeller 3/4 flat back. 

D3976A9B-CDB6-4AD4-AE98-06B94027C481.jpeg

Edited by therealting
Added photo of horrible slotting

When I bought my bass new it had a fixed bridge, so when I went for a setup at Bassbags with an adjustable bridge they simply converted the existing one. Presumably any luthier could do the same, but I'm no expert. Maybe they could shave it down to remove the deep notches at the same time?

Edited by petebassist

I would definitely go to your local luthier. He will insert the adjusters in the existing bridge and meanwhile adjust the action to your requirements by shaving off the deep notches at the top. That is providing he/she feels you’ll be left with a reasonable-enough amount of wood above the heart. All the best.

Edited by Rabbie
Added info

• 2 months later...

Get your bass to a expert 

Martyn Baily in Essex carries  aaa grade bridges in stock and will make it with adjusters I have two of them they are smoth as silk on adjustment under tension .they are not cheap but you get what you pay for 

• 1 month later...

An adjustable bridge will save you the cost of several non-adjustable bridges. It's a no-brainer imo, if you're playing a lot you can wear a good 3 or 4 mm off the action in under year, more if you're a slapper I imagine. Just keep raising the bridge to compensate (and have a luthier take off the excess above the strings, or do it yourself) and you'll be set for years. Hundreds of pounds saved and a consistent action that will benefit your playing.

Point being, get a new, high quality adjustable, have it set up by a qualified professional, and it will pay for itself.

Edited by Cathode_Follower
  • Like 1