Why become a member? ×

Beatles White Album Remix

Hobbayne

This is the new 2018 mix of While My Guitar Gently weeps.

I must say,  Eric Claptons lead guitar overdub sounds much more clearer.

While for the first time in many years, Maccas double stops on the bass (6string?) finally are audible.

Opinions from Beatles fans?

Edited by Hobbayne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a Beatles fan and can't really compare, but the whole thing does sound very crisp and clear. It's good to be able to hear the detail in the bassline. 

Ironically this was the song that most inspired me to play a fretless bass! I was in a regular duo with a rhythm guitar player - great voice, slightly flat guitar - and got a silvery shimmery sound playing slide on a fretless with flats that worked perfectly. If I had tried to play anything like the original bassline on my bass the combination would not have worked. 

• Like 1

Big Beatles fan and I have no interest in re mixes. The original recording of almost any music is a snapshot of a moment in time, an era. I have no problem with the original recordings of any of the Beatles albums. The ones recorded in Mono still sound better in Mono than the faux stereo versions.

• Like 3

Love the tone on this & the bass line. For me being able to hear better adds to the character.

My favourite bass line of Macca's is I want you from Abbey Road and the only track I know with a glissando in the bass line. Lots of isolated bass tracks on YT but I love this version on a Rick 4001. I want one!

14 hours ago, Hobbayne said:

This is the new 2018 mix of While My Guitar Gently weeps.

I must say,  Eric Claptons lead guitar overdub sounds much more clearer.

While for the first time in many years, Maccas double stops on the bass (6string?) finally are audible.

Opinions from Beatles fans?

Its very interesting and it's great to hear the detail of the bass line. However I'd never realised the similarities with Jack Bruce on White Room by Cream - especially in the areas where the chord sequence turns round. The style is very similar.

The only modern sound here is the separation between the instruments and it is unusual to have such quiet drums and relatively loud bass. The bass guitar itself sounds like his bass sound generally from that era. 

I am also of the feeling that the original, for me, is better. 

It's been a very long time since I heard the White album properly so it's hard for me to comment on the mix or remastering. What I'm hearing sounds pretty nice.

I really enjoyed the 2009 remasters (mono ones, bit of a purist in that regard). Let's face it, the original 1987 CD presses were a victim of the format's limitations at the time. Typical flat mastering of early CDs. I remember hearing the remastered Beatles for Sale and it was like someone lifted a rug off the speakers that'd been there my whole life. Details I never heard before.

Totally agree with the comments about the relative volume of bass & drums. If you say that Macca was playing double stops then I believe you ... but I still can't hear it myself.

Am I the only one who found Clapton's guitar is now too loud and too harsh?

• Like 1

wonder how many remixes we'll get of the Beatles back catalogue? Reminds of an Ozzy Osbourne quote after yet another Black Sabbath greatest hits, "it's like they're digging up a dead prostitute for one last fu*k".

Back to the White Album, according to George Martin it would have made a great single album, can't really argue.

• Like 1

The mono mixes will always sound better, they were the ones that had the most time spent on them. The stereo versions were generally dashed off in an afternoon afterwards.

Besides there won't be that much to make stereo from a four track recording where all the bounces were to a single track.

57 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

If you buy the new version you'll have it to keep forever just like those that bought it on vinyl, 8 track, cassette, VHS with some nonsense backing video, CD, remixed CD, iTunes and download etc. They probably need the money. 

I had a ripoff 1/4 inch  mono tape copy. No money for the vinyl back them. Threw it out eventually. However nice to hear it for the first time with cans on.

In one Beatle book I read (can't remember which one ) two basses were used for some songs with George playing almost the same thing as Paul. On the original White Album it sounded like a raspy bass picked with the rough edge dragged across the string. -Possibly notches cut into the plectrum. This through a distorted amp. Another bass sound is a deep, clean sound . Maybe the Jazz Bass bought for Paul and the Bass VI together ?? 

17 hours ago, rodney72a said:

Neither. He plays the minor third (A) on the downbeat of the F#m chord. Nice choice!

Macca never makes a mistake

But have a listen to Lennon playing bass on Long and Winding Road. He's all over the place.

Edited by gjones

On 01/11/2018 at 08:34, Marvin said:

I prefer the original recordings. The remixes and remasters make the songs sound like they were recorded now, so for me they lose a bit of character.

I'd like to add a caveat to this post. I've just been listening to the Let It Be - Naked remastered album. Now, that one sounds substantially better than the overblown tat and nonsense that Phil Spector produced. Right, as you were.

• Like 1