Why become a member? ×

Anybody know what this used to be?

3 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

The woodworking required to build a through neck bass from scratch doesn't quite tally with the hack job that is the rest of it though, if it is hand built I would be surprised if the same person did the botched 8 string conversion.

I think that's the oddest thing about it though. Enough skill's gone into the cutting, shaping & laminating of the neck/body so that it does, on first glance, look like a modded & abused factory-built bass. You see plenty of have-a-go home made instruments that are instantly identifiable by wonky/queasy body shapes, bodged joins & splintery, misaligned routing - this doesn't have too much of that.

It does seem to have been quite meticulously copied from the Hohner Jack/B Bass body shape, with a bang-on Gibson Grabber headstock. Where it all goes wrong is the use of cheap pine planks for body wings, and "fretwork" evidently carried out during a power cut.

So, I wonder if it was originally a fretless 4, and the fret job & 8-string conversion/perversion was inflicted on it by a subsequent owner.

4 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

The neck is cracked below the nut though, still fixable but turns it into a more complicated job.

This is the type of project I find most interesting though, lets face it if you're nearby and could collect it would be worth sticking a tenner on just for fun.

Possibly.

That’s what I meant by losing a fret, chop it below the break.  Short short scale?

Oh, and defret it.

Ditto on the type of project.

Edit:  wonder if the neck's even straight......Was thinking about a punt, but don’t think I’ll bother after all.

Edited by Baxlin

36 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Well it's up to £30 with £10 postage so someone out there likes it. 

I need one of these old treble side Schallers (stamped Made in West Germany!), and was tempted to bid but I think I'll pass now.

• 2 weeks later...