Why become a member? ×

Power Supply & Pedals Query

NickD

I apologise if this is a massively dumb question, but...

Do pedals draw their full stated current when disengaged?

The situation is this. To use everything I want  would be 50mA over my 500mA 9v output capacity (TRex Fuel Tank Classic), but 200mA of this is the EHX Freeze, which would be mostly off, just used for the odd drone. Also has anyone experienced the consequences of running slightly over, should I just do the sensible thing and change my kit, or is it a relatively reasonable risk?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Jack said:

They probably don't even draw their full rated current even when they're on. Chances are you'll be fine.

Thanks!

I've been reading a little since I posted. I had wondered why the hell they would put 9 outputs on a section with 500mA overall, I think my lowest pedal is rated 150mA alone. I'm guessing that a trial and error approach is the way forward.

3 minutes ago, NickD said:

I had wondered why the hell they would put 9 outputs on a section with 500mA overall, I think my lowest pedal is rated 150mA alone.

Depends, a simple analogue overdrive or similar can be less than 10mA or even less than 5mA. There's a realistic power draw list here, it's got more guitar stuff than bass on it, but it makes a good reference.

• Like 1