Why become a member? ×

Utter disaster. I give up.

Bridgehouse

Just now, discreet said:

In all seriousness, yes. It's very difficult to physically break a neck in that way, regardless of cack-handedness. :)

Unless your truss rod has an attack of the suicidals which mine seems to have done!

Then again, maybe my bass committed self destruction to stop my cack-handed playing - sort of like the ultimate act of an instrument trying to avoid being tortured

9 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Unless your truss rod has an attack of the suicidals which mine seems to have done!

Then again, maybe my bass committed self destruction to stop my cack-handed playing - sort of like the ultimate act of an instrument trying to avoid being tortured

It sounds like the best course of action would be to let someone else look after it - I'm happy to step up. I'm generous like that. 

7 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

It sounds like the best course of action would be to let someone else look after it - I'm happy to step up. I'm generous like that. 

I wouldn’t want you to be subject to the almighty cracking noise I heard last night. 

It was the most terrifying noise I’ve heard..

What gauge were the Chromes? If they were .105 or above, that's a hell of a tension change from TIs. 

EDIT: You state in your first post you gave the truss rod more tension? Wouldn't you give more relief since the Chromes are putting more tension on the neck? 

Edited by The59Sound

4 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

What gauge were the Chromes? If they were .105 or above, that's a hell of a tension change from TIs. 

EDIT: You state in your first post you gave the truss rod more tension? Wouldn't you give more relief since the Chromes are putting more tension on the neck? 

If you tighten the truss rod you are removing relief and counteracting the increased tension of the strings. 

Chromes aren’t a huge tension change from TIs in reality - after installing the action had increased by no more than a mm (after having time to settle) Adding a bit of tension to the rod to remove the added relief from the new strings should have been fine: 

Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

The string action did indeed come done by about a mm - but 15/20 mins later, massive cracking noise and there you go..

Funnily enough the action hasn’t changed a jot..

4 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

If you tighten the truss rod you are removing relief and counteracting the increased tension of the strings. 

Correct :)

It's definitely not something you have done wrong. 

Edit - and to have tightened it enough to have snapped the neck you would have had to really force it.

Edited by BreadBin

4 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

+1. Speaking as another recent victim to a complete truss rod failure, I probably adjusted mine about the same as Bridgehouse and came down the following morning to this....

My new neck is on it’s way from Mexico apparently.

DD49E285-4605-4414-A07C-3C5BEC32030A.jpeg

I know players who like their action like that - I reckon you could shift that one on.. 

Sadly I don’t know any players that like splinters after a gig...

• Like 1

Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That wasn't even up the dusty end. I should have taken a photo of the height near the body. Certainly unplayable by my standards and the neck had a lovely loud 'truss rod disengaged' rattle about it. 

You could probably get a hoover nozzle under the dusty end to give it a good clear out then 🤣

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Not a great thing to happen. Would love an uberhorn, but maybe not so much now!

I have an Uberhorn. It is very lovely. It is rock solid. I would not suspect that this is anything other than sad times for one specific instrument. Absolutely gutting for the OP, obviously

Just now, owen said:

I have an Uberhorn. It is very lovely. It is rock solid. I would not suspect that this is anything other than sad times for one specific instrument. Absolutely gutting for the OP, obviously

Agreed - don’t let this put you off a Shuker - they are sublime instruments. I’m just unlucky with this one and a rather naughty truss rod

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Difficult I know, but once he's had a look at it, he might be able to offer an explanation as to why it did what it did and that might allay your fears.

Haha I suspect it will be 

“Ah, yes, you are a cack-handed idiot”