Why become a member? ×

Utter disaster. I give up.

Bridgehouse

3 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

You definitely still need a p bass with a fretless. It’s like the antidote for when you need something other than mwah. 

You know, much as the mwah is there in spades, when you whack up the piezo and play very regimented it really does do a great impression of a normal fretted bass - almost P like in tone. 

I’m very much sold on under saddle piezos for a very rounded deep sound

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

You know, much as the mwah is there in spades, when you whack up the piezo and play very regimented it really does do a great impression of a normal fretted bass - almost P like in tone. 

I’m very much sold on under saddle piezos for a very rounded deep sound

I’ve never played a piezo PU before but for some reason I always presumed they would be tinny in sound rather than deep. I’m never going to sell my P but that’s an interesting option on the fretless. 

18 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

I’ve never played a piezo PU before but for some reason I always presumed they would be tinny in sound rather than deep. I’m never going to sell my P but that’s an interesting option on the fretless. 

Definitely the opposite of tinny.

It has an expensive Nordstrand split Jazz under the board which sounds like a Jazz.. so I know it’s not the unique board or bridge. The piezo has bucket loads of lows and low mids and plenty of top end. When you blend in some of the upper mid heavy jazz you get this really broad lush deep rounded sound. 

In fact, the Jazz on its own sounds a bit thin tbh...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

I have even looked at the 64 Precision and thought “I should probably sell you”. I know, right?

OR............let me keep it for you in a nice safe environment free of charge and i'll even pick it up directly from your house. I won't charge for fuel. :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

OR............let me keep it for you in a nice safe environment free of charge and i'll even pick it up directly from your house. I won't charge for fuel. :laugh1:

Dave

Now that’s the true BC spirit. 😂

• Haha 2

Well I had a bit of a play with the other basses last night. 
Started with the hollowbody 51P - yeah, it was okay. Not bad. Decent handwound pickup so should have been.

Moved on to the solid body 51P with custom one off Ric style single coil - better.. bit better.

Then on to the ACG Finn 4 - a step up again, rounder, more complex..

And then onto the 64P - yet another significant step up - really good as I remembered (haven’t played it for a couple of months or so)

Then back to the Shuker. Yeah. After 5 mins I didn’t want to go back to any of the others. Still felt better, still sounded more complex and detailed and more pleasing. Still much preferred it. 

Well there you go.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bassfan said:

Now that’s the true BC spirit. 😂

I'm a nice guy just trying to help a fellow BC'er escape from his dilemma.

No-one wants to see him suffer like this any more than he needs to. Sure you would do the same. :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 1

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

I'm a nice guy just trying to help a fellow BC'er escape from his dilemma.

No-one wants to see him suffer like this any more than he needs to. Sure you would do the same. :laugh1:

Dave

Indeed I would, you beat me to it though... 😂 maybe a 6 month stint each for a few years. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

You guys need to watch out for the “Free to a good home - 1964 Precision” thread then.

I’m not falling for that old chestnut. Glad you are loving the Shuker. I love mine. 😍

• Like 1

Just now, Bridgehouse said:

You guys need to watch out for the “Free to a good home - 1964 Precision” thread then.

I'm in. I have it on a word search now. I'll get a notification as soon as it appears or maybe even before its written. 

Dave

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

There’s a packing surcharge of £5000 per bass

🤔 I’m sensing that maybe you aren’t fully committed to this.... 😂😂

Edited by bassfan

2 minutes ago, bassfan said:

🤔 I’m sensing that maybe you aren’t fully committed to this.... 😂😂

I’m still considering. Pondering you might call it. 

My worry is getting rid of the fretted basses might lead to a run on buying fretless basses I don’t need...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I have some fretless basses you don't need, if that can help.

That said, go fretless only, you won't regret it. There's so much more of everything !

Oh, what fretless basses do you have that I don’t need? 

*Intrigued*

42 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Yeah, I might go fretless only and give all my fretted basses away to good homes. 

I’m often in a similar mood, but I won’t be giving anything away except in exchange for money.

Edited by ezbass

1 minute ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Think I need a fretless. I've never even played on one since I had a predictably unplayable horrible Marlin P copy, sans frets, when I was a kid about 40 years ago.

I think it depends on your playing style. If you are prepared to put the hours in to build muscle memory and technique then I actually find it more of an expressive and pliable instrument. 

I’m not a fan of the traditional “mwah” fretless sound per se - I just find it far more flexible as an instrument for expression and dynamics - slides, embellishment, vibrato, tone - makes it a bit of a different instrument tbh

• Like 2