Why become a member? ×

Utter disaster. I give up.

Bridgehouse

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

I had no idea sir. Hopefully you'll be back to form in no time. 

Wishing a speedy recovery and if you need someone to look after that gorgeous bass until you are truly back to full strength i'm only happy to help...........honest. :hi:

All the very best @Bridgehouse.

Dave

That's a very kind offer, Dave - and believe me I spent a good few seconds considering it.. however, I feel I have to bite the bullet and look after it myself (sadly)

:crazy:

• Haha 1

Well thanks all for your kind words and thoughts.

I fear I may be going a bit mad now though. I’ve realised that I really like the tone I’m getting from the Shuker’s piezos. I’ve always thought they were decent, but revisiting it now I actually prefer the wider range and more detailed lows and highs compared to a P bass. 

Now I’ve always been a P bass chap, and this revelation has come as something of a shock. The under-board jazz pickup is meant to provide upper mids which can be dialled in where needed to focus the sound but I’m finding I’m not dialling it in much at all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Well thanks all for your kind words and thoughts.

I fear I may be going a bit mad now though. I’ve realised that I really like the tone I’m getting from the Shuker’s piezos. I’ve always thought they were decent, but revisiting it now I actually prefer the wider range and more detailed lows and highs compared to a P bass. 

Now I’ve always been a P bass chap, and this revelation has come as something of a shock. The under-board jazz pickup is meant to provide upper mids which can be dialled in where needed to focus the sound but I’m finding I’m not dialling it in much at all.

We need some sound clips if that's an option. 

Dave

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

We need some sound clips if that's an option. 

Dave

OK, I've popped a bass line on an old band track.. I had the master without bass and it lets me pop bass on easily so I thought I'd do that for context. The original track was a P bass. 

This is recorded in Logic, with the bass L/R coming from a Helix with a MESA amp/speaker model but nothing else. It's pumped right up in the mix so you can hear what's going on, so far too high, no compression, no fiddling or nothing, pretty much the original track with the raw bass tracks on it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's a simple track and a simple bassline, but I'm not doing anything particularly complex with the state of my arm at the moment so this was a nice track to give a sample of the general kinda tone etc. (And yeah, I know it isn't very fretless either.. )

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

I’m not sure about that quite yet - but yeah, I reckon I can provide at some point.

Whenever you feel ready. Its a gorgeous looking bass and i'm intrigued by the pick ups fitted and how they sound but only when you feel up to it.

Dave

3 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

It's a simple track and a simple bassline, but I'm not doing anything particularly complex with the state of my arm at the moment so this was a nice track to give a sample of the general kinda tone etc. (And yeah, I know it isn't very fretless either.. )

I really enjoyed that. Bass sounds modern but warm. It seems to have a nice little click to the notes almost like a pick being used. (I say that as most fretless players use fingerstyle)

Once you get back up to speed i'd really like to hear more of the bass on its own but no rush.

Was just a nice wee song.

Dave

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I really enjoyed that. Bass sounds modern but warm. It seems to have a nice little click to the notes almost like a pick being used. (I say that as most fretless players use fingerstyle)

Once you get back up to speed i'd really like to hear more of the bass on its own but no rush.

Was just a nice wee song.

Dave

I’m playing finger style - those clicks are the high end of the piezo picking up my nails as they dig into the strings a bit - mostly on purpose but sometimes due to lack of practise :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

If you dial back the treble on the East preamp and reduce the sweep you can remove those clicks completely

I like to hear the clicks. I had a WAL bass back in 80's and you could pull the vol pot out to produce a high end boost that was similar to what i hear in your clip.

Nice. I like it.

Dave

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I like to hear the clicks. I had a WAL bass back in 80's and you could pull the vol pot out to produce a high end boost that was similar to what i hear in your clip.

Nice. I like it.

Dave

It’s very controllable - there’s a boost on the preamp as well which can emphasise it. 

If you dial in the under board jazz pickup you get a pronounced upper mids boost. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

It’s very controllable - there’s a boost on the preamp as well which can emphasise it. 

If you dial in the under board jazz pickup you get a pronounced upper mids boost. 

Was this the bass that had the truss come thru the fretboard ? 

Dave

35 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Was this the bass that had the truss come thru the fretboard ? 

Dave

Yep. It’s had some serious work over the years now. It’s been back to Jon and basically rebuild, and all the electronics have been stripped and replaced. 

The under saddle piezos are original, but there’s a nordstrand jazz pickup along will a full set of East preamps and stuff in there as well. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

Hope you're on the mend.

A quick question:
I don't want to know how much the repairs came to, but looking at the list, it looked expensive.
Just curious - did the bill make you think of parting with the bass at any point?

Glad you're back in love with it.

Jon decided not to charge me. I was floored by that alone.

• Like 12