Why become a member? ×

Utter disaster. I give up.

Bridgehouse

@Bridgehouse I defretted a G4M 5 string acoustic bass a good few years ago.

It came out so well - I was really proud of it. I then sold it to a guy who’s still gigging it with a jazz trio.

I have bucketloads of pictures and hints if you need them. I also have some rosewood which worked amazingly well for filling the slots - should you need it.

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

@Bridgehouse I defretted a G4M 5 string acoustic bass a good few years ago.

It came out so well - I was really proud of it. I then sold it to a guy who’s still gigging it with a jazz trio.

I have bucketloads of pictures and hints if you need them. I also have some rosewood which worked amazingly well for filling the slots - should you need it.

Really interested in how you approached it and what you did mate.. I am quite tempted to try a de fret and see how it works out!

2 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

So did the neck go because of the increase in tension on the neck? Had a flick through this thread but didn't see a definitive answer.

The truss rod was of an older rather odd two way design. It decided to dump its weld and split - the tension in it kicked out and cracked the back of the neck. 

The new rod can’t do this, and it actually keeps the neck a lot straighter anyway - pretty much transformed it’s playability

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

Wet rag and quick play didn't go well then?

Nah, it was fine actually. The Fishman kit in it is really good. No fuss or feedback when I plugged it in, and still has juice in the old battery!

IMG_20200504_153402800.thumb.jpg.4b3ec204ab0a8276e6ae6a606bee22b4.jpg

See, my fingers are beginning to polish up the dusty strings!

Perhaps one day, you'll give me a small P/X allowance on it, against your green '51 P... 👍

10 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Nah, it was fine actually. The Fishman kit in it is really good. No fuss or feedback when I plugged it in, and still has juice in the old battery!

IMG_20200504_153402800.thumb.jpg.4b3ec204ab0a8276e6ae6a606bee22b4.jpg

See, my fingers are beginning to polish up the dusty strings!

Perhaps one day, you'll give me a small P/X allowance on it, against your green '51 P... 👍

You got eyes for the green 51P huh?

It's currently got a one off ric-o-like single coil in it which is properly rude and naughty.. but suits it very well

5 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

You got eyes for the green 51P huh?

It's currently got a one off ric-o-like single coil in it which is properly rude and naughty.. but suits it very well

I always fancy a '51P whenever I see one. 😍

And I figured it's the fretted bass that you're more likely to get rid of... mind you, your '64 P is interesting (it happens to be my YOB. Not that I'm usually that bothered about YOB basses).

I'll have to see what you might put up for sale in the future... I have the money in the bank you know.... making a whooping 0.1% interest at the moment! 🙄

1 minute ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I always fancy a '51P whenever I see one. 😍

And I figured it's the fretted bass that you're more likely to get rid of... mind you, your '64 P is interesting (it happens to be my YOB. Not that I'm usually that bothered about YOB basses).

I'll have to see what you might put up for sale in the future... I have the money in the bank you know.... making a whooping 0.1% interest at the moment! 🙄

There is a bit of me that would actually let the 64P go and use the money to get a stupidly expensive fretless - something like a Fodera or a Wal or summit. It's just sitting here on the wall at the moment not getting played. Which is actually pretty bloody tragic. 

Edited by Bridgehouse
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, ezbass said:

I've always been a fretless fan after I was turned onto the sound by Pino with Paul Young back in the '80s. I pulled the frets out of my 2nd bass to be able to sound like that, so I've been playing fretless almost since the beginning of my affair with the low end beast. With restraint where necessary, fretless will fit in just about anywhere, you can even slap them (although not overly recommended due to potential 'board damage and the sound isn't exactly right - if memory serves a manufacturer came out with a fretless with 'slap plates' back in the day; it didn't catch on). I've only ever seen Pete Stroud, who gave a session at the at the SE Bash last year, use fretless basses live and a lot of the time you can't tell. It's not all about mwah and slides, but they are there if you want/need them. As we all know, your average punter isn't too bass savvy.

Back in early 80's i played a fretless P bass in a rock covers band doing Kansas, Magnum, Gary Moore, Saga, ELP and it was great. I ended up getting a WAL custom fretless after that but wasn't happy with the WAL and traded it for a white Rik bass. That lasted even less and bought a Fender J with maple neck. The WAL appeared to have a dead spot around the Eb on G  string but on hindsight it may well have been something silly but WAL didn't want to know. And after spending £740 on it in early 80's i wasn't a happy chappie with them. 

RANT over i think if you put the effort in you can indeed play in most styles but it does take work to get there. I kinda lost the notion for fetless after the WAL incident and stuck with fretted until 2010 when i bought my Overwater 6er custom Fretless more for a challenge and to push me a bit plus i wanted something special for my 50th. Wife's idea to get the bass so can't complain. 

Some pics of my WAL, Shergold twin 4&8 (their first 8 string bass built using their 6 string bass) and my Fender P bass. (back in the days when i was a skinny 9.5st) :D

Dave

Bass Pics.jpg

old photos_0003_NEW (2).jpg

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...

I thought I’d revisit this topic as it seemed apt. 

Some of you will know already, but last Tuesday I had a heart attack. I’m on the mend now, and during conversations with the doc he suggested I needed to exercise my right hand to stop stiffness after the angioplasty and the cardio catheter. Apparently my session was a bit more brutal than usual. 

I asked him if playing bass would suffice, and after a bit more chat he thought it would be ideal. 

Anyway, got home from hospital yesterday, and decided I might as well have a go. They give you lots of stern warnings about depression and suggest that doing stuff not too strenuous is a good idea. 

Picked up the Shuker and realised it’s a bit like me. Has had an incident involving major surgery but is actually the better for it afterwards. 

Yep, I’m pretty much stuck with it now given that link.. so I had an enjoyable hour getting back to it and despite a bit of wrist discomfort it actually wasn’t so bad at all. 

Nice to be home, in more ways than one. 

494C3C3A-9C42-48F2-A843-2F5F78BECC1E.jpeg

189D5207-BA20-4ACB-84D2-538BECF3B477.jpeg

• Like 32

5 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I asked him if playing bass would suffice, and after a bit more chat he thought it would be ideal. 

He wanted a quick rig rundown before he gave the OK.

If you told him you played a Rik he'd have put you in an induced coma forever

• Haha 14

1 hour ago, ped said:

He wanted a quick rig rundown before he gave the OK.

If you told him you played a Rik he'd have put you in an induced coma forever

Apparently acceptable Basses for post-HA care include P, J, Stingray, Fretless and a limited amount of Bass VI.

However, PJ is unadvisable, anything too active is discouraged and as you rightly say anything by Rik would result in a referral, a big syringe of sedative and a rather discouraging frown.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3