Why become a member? ×

Utter disaster. I give up.

Bridgehouse

4 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I think it depends on your playing style. If you are prepared to put the hours in to build muscle memory and technique then I actually find it more of an expressive and pliable instrument. 

I’m not a fan of the traditional “mwah” fretless sound per se - I just find it far more flexible as an instrument for expression and dynamics - slides, embellishment, vibrato, tone - makes it a bit of a different instrument tbh

Think that's the rub for most that they aren't prepared to put the additional effort in. I go thru stages of having fetless basses cause i love the sound you get from them but they don't really suit the bands i play in  so i never seem to have the time to be fully committed to them. Its usually in between bands i get into fretless mode. 

I'm now back to my one Overwater 6er custom fretless mainly because i wasn't playing the others i've had over the years.

Dave

22 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Think I need a fretless. I've never even played on one since I had a predictably unplayable horrible Marlin P copy, sans frets, when I was a kid about 400 years ago.

Fixed.

clown.gif.0a3dd1689410e9eb84918650aaa2d451.gif

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Think that's the rub for most that they aren't prepared to put the additional effort in. I go thru stages of having fetless basses cause i love the sound you get from them but they don't really suit the bands i play in  so i never seem to have the time to be fully committed to them. Its usually in between bands i get into fretless mode. 

I'm now back to my one Overwater 6er custom fretless mainly because i wasn't playing the others i've had over the years.

Dave

I didn't think it would fit into a lot of musical styles - but having taken it to a jam day where all sorts of stuff got played I can confidently say if you are accurate enough it will do most things well, some things very well and a small number of things extremely well

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Five grand doesn't sound a bad price for a '64 P bass, so long as it's not sunburst... oh wait... 😬

It's 100% genuine original tasteless fender paint - course it's worth more than 5 grand...

Oh gawd,

I've just spent half an hour on fleabay eyeing up cheap fretless projects to give me something to fettle during lockdown.

Nowt of any interest at all. There was this Encore fretless.. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fretless-bass-guitar/303553043225?hash=item46ad2bdb19:g:G-4AAOSwpeFeqAfj

But apparently the mower is not included so that's a no no. Oh, and it's an Encore..

Come on Basschat, you can do better than this... after all my pain with the Shuker surely someone's got a crap old bass in a cupboard they can let me fettle?

3 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Oh gawd,

I've just spent half an hour on fleabay eyeing up cheap fretless projects to give me something to fettle during lockdown.

Nowt of any interest at all. There was this Encore fretless.. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fretless-bass-guitar/303553043225?hash=item46ad2bdb19:g:G-4AAOSwpeFeqAfj

But apparently the mower is not included so that's a no no. Oh, and it's an Encore..

Come on Basschat, you can do better than this... after all my pain with the Shuker surely someone's got a crap old bass in a cupboard they can let me fettle?

Put a wanted add up someone will have one 👍🏻👍🏻

3 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I have a Fender acoustic bass I don't want. You could take the frets out and finish the fret board with yacht varnish... you know, like a Jaco kind of experience. :)

Epifanes? I think I have a pot of that in the garage. Not that I have a yacht of course...

Why don't you want it?

44 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

I've always been a fretless fan after I was turned onto the sound by Pino with Paul Young back in the '80s. I pulled the frets out of my 2nd bass to be able to sound like that, so I've been playing fretless almost since the beginning of my affair with the low end beast. With restraint where necessary, fretless will fit in just about anywhere, you can even slap them (although not overly recommended due to potential 'board damage and the sound isn't exactly right - if memory serves a manufacturer came out with a fretless with 'slap plates' back in the day; it didn't catch on). I've only ever seen Pete Stroud, who gave a session at the at the SE Bash last year, use fretless basses live and a lot of the time you can't tell. It's not all about mwah and slides, but they are there if you want/need them. As we all know, your average punter isn't too bass savvy.

4 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

You’ll get decent cash for that! Quick wet cloth round it and it’ll sell. Looks too nice to de fret and stick yacht paint on!!

Thank you. Around 5 years ago, the wife and I bought each other instruments for xmas. 😗 I picked the acoustic bass, she had a keyboard. I always fancied the idea of a bass with no cables, but I've hardly ever played it... still has the original bronze strings on... I'll get a damp rag and have a go on it now in a minute... 😃

6 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Thank you. Around 5 years ago, the wife and I bought each other instruments for xmas. 😗 I picked the acoustic bass, she had a keyboard. I always fancied the idea of a bass with no cables, but I've hardly ever played it... still has the original bronze strings on... I'll get a damp rag and have a go on it now in a minute... 😃

Good on you! I’m looking for a fretless shed I can fettle not a decent acoustic to butcher :)