Why become a member? ×

Utter disaster. I give up.

Bridgehouse

6 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I’ve not tried him yet. I’ll leave it for a bit and drop him a line later in the month. I think it is fixable (from when I dropped it off) and I guess I will see what the cost is etc. 

However, whether I keep it when it’s back here is up in the air. I’m sure it will be totally strong as a fix and perfect - but, you know, when the confidence goes, it’s difficult to get back

Fair enough mate, and I totally understand why you would lose confidence in it. I guess you'll just have to see what happens then.
At least you've got a nice new ACG to look forward to, to keep your spirits up 😎 (I've got another one in the pipe now too...)

Eude

14 minutes ago, eude said:

Fair enough mate, and I totally understand why you would lose confidence in it. I guess you'll just have to see what happens then.
At least you've got a nice new ACG to look forward to, to keep your spirits up 😎 (I've got another one in the pipe now too...)

Eude

Yes, the ACG will be a great thing to have! And I’m not convinced I’ll need 2 fretless basses - I’m using the ACG 5 more and more now, and it may well be that I stick to mostly using 2 ACG 5’s - one fretted one fretless

Which does leave me wondering whether it’s worthwhile holding on to the Shuker.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I’ve not tried him yet. I’ll leave it for a bit and drop him a line later in the month. I think it is fixable (from when I dropped it off) and I guess I will see what the cost is etc. 

However, whether I keep it when it’s back here is up in the air. I’m sure it will be totally strong as a fix and perfect - but, you know, when the confidence goes, it’s difficult to get back

I know what you mean about the losing confidence thing. But I really think that repair might actually come out stronger than before. And it's such a nice instrument. 

But if you do move it on, then it's understandable.

On another note I know people are busy with other things, Jon will have a lot on I'm sure. But it shouldn't take months to get a repair done. Im not having a go at anyone btw. Hopefully it will be back with you soon. 

2 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Yes, the ACG will be a great thing to have! And I’m not convinced I’ll need 2 fretless basses - I’m using the ACG 5 more and more now, and it may well be that I stick to mostly using 2 ACG 5’s - one fretted one fretless

Which does leave me wondering whether it’s worthwhile holding on to the Shuker.

I would certainly see if it is repairable, and affordable to do so before committing to a decision.

You'd be able to sell it on hopefully without losing too much with it fixed, rather than in pieces at least, so the cost of repair may be worth it in the long run.

Why stop at 2 ACGs? I've got 4 with a 5th underway 😁

Eude

• 5 weeks later...

I’ve heard from Jon. 

It’s a full board off, new rod, neck repair then board back on job. He’s trying to fit it in around builds and courses when he gets spare mins. Fair enough. 

You know what’s really sad tho? I’m not missing it. 😞 Which to me means it’s going to be a sell and get rid job. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, bassfan said:

I’m sure if you really don’t love it when you get it back you’ll have no shortage of buyers!

Did Jon say what the cause was?

Truss rod failed. Looks like it just split under pressure and bent out popping through the back of the neck. 

As it happens the neck repair is minor and will be easy. The issue was getting the fretboard off. New truss rod will be a different design and make so no chance of a repeat.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Well it's kinda interesting - you know what they say: "no such thing as bad publicity".

Never really thought about Shuker basses much before this thread and now they're definitely on my radar! 

Trust me, there is such a thing as bad publicity, for someone who did have them very much on the radar!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Chris2112 said:

What became of this bass? It was a beauty. Was it fixed?

Yes, interested to know what became of said instrument.  Did Jon finish the repair work , hopefully he did by now!!  Assuming he did how was the neck post repair, did you keep or sell it on?

I always do my own and as lng as its not tight and you only use small adjustments at any one time and wait for neck to settle there really shouldn't be any great issues.

If the truss is tight then leave well alone and seek professional help.

Nothing worse than a tight truss Matron. :laugh1:

I never touch nut or frets to be honest and would rather get a professional to do that.

Dave

• Like 3