Why become a member? ×

Utter disaster. I give up.

Bridgehouse

10 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Lol - that’s a generous offer but I think I’ll decline :D

Of course updates will come as I get them

I could collect to. 😂😂

I’m sure Jon will have it back to you better than new in no time and you’ll be lovin’ it! 

Edited by bassfan

It’s at the hospital. 

Dropped it off with Jon today. He had a good look at it, scratched his head and couldn’t work out why it had happened. There was not a lot of tension in the rod, and it bizarrely still worked (!) - but it has definitely bent and tried to break through the back. All quite bizarre but definitely nothing I’d done. 

Neck break is fixable. However, truss won’t slide out so it’s fingerboard off and new rod along with glue neck, clamp and relacquer. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bridgehouse said:

Ouch - I’ll have the taste police after me! :D

No, you will be enhancing an already beautiful thing. The only time I ever comissioned an instrument I had promised myself not to have LEDs. I caved within 5 seconds of having the option put to me. Side dots. They were superb. I still miss them. If I had a fingerboard off any of my basses I would be LEDing faster than you could say knife. 

• Like 1

Just now, owen said:

No, you will be enhancing an already beautiful thing. The only time I ever comissioned an instrument I had promised myself not to have LEDs. I caved within 5 seconds of having the option put to me. Side dots. They were superb. I still miss them. If I had a fingerboard off any of my basses I would be LEDing faster than you could say knife. 

I just couldn’t do it... 

• 3 weeks later...

What a fantastic looking instrument!

Looking at the break once it's repaired I don't think it will give any problems, looks clean and lots of surface area. So don't be afraid of it going once repaired, although nothing is 100%. As others have said it's likely to be stronger after the repair. 

As for why it happened, it's hard to tell. Did the truss rod bend first and crack the wood or did the wood crack and truss rod bend after. 

Hopefully soon the bass will be back with you. 

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Mentally, it’s already there...

Oh dear.
Are you waiting to see if it CAN be fixed, and if so, how much, or have you given Jon the go ahead to just get cracking?
He's certainly a busy man, and his communication is a little lacking during extra busy spells, but he always answers the phone...

Eude

8 hours ago, eude said:

Oh dear.
Are you waiting to see if it CAN be fixed, and if so, how much, or have you given Jon the go ahead to just get cracking?
He's certainly a busy man, and his communication is a little lacking during extra busy spells, but he always answers the phone...

Eude

I’ve not tried him yet. I’ll leave it for a bit and drop him a line later in the month. I think it is fixable (from when I dropped it off) and I guess I will see what the cost is etc. 

However, whether I keep it when it’s back here is up in the air. I’m sure it will be totally strong as a fix and perfect - but, you know, when the confidence goes, it’s difficult to get back

• Sad 3