Why become a member? ×

need a new mic, budget £100

skidder652003

935s are a great mic but over yourr budget... but would be my go to recommendation, Ive never really dug on Shure 58s in both beta and non beta variants. The 58 is an old design - trusted maybe, but tech has moved on to far superior products.

If you want to lower the budget from that a bit and get closer to the £100, I'd look at Heil PR22UT, if not PR20UT. The only other mic I would really consider under the £100 mark is the Audix OM2 and the AKG D5 (which is an absolutely boss mic despite it's low pricetag).

Edited by EBS_freak

Having used them at an outdoor gig earlier this year I’ve just bought some E935’s to replace my SM58’s and they were the bargain price of £83 each with free shipping from Sennheiser UK.  Just checked and the price there has gone back to £149 however a couple of stores still list them at £83. Andtertons for example.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/sennheiser-e935-dynamic-microphone-e935?LGWCODE=E935;56375;6335&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjrj7wP243gIViOF3Ch1y2QiDEAQYAiABEgIfAPD_BwE 

for that price you just can’t go wrong.

Edited by xzodar
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I was gonna suggest Behringer XM8500s - get a couple for under £50, and seriously good mics they are too.

Ive seen them at £14 each!

Surely they can't be much cop at that price?!

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/behringer-xm-8500/1062?gclid=CjwKCAjwsfreBRB9EiwAikSUHYM7kkkTn25o-Vd68oVbwMwEUvjLOpeNK2gkA4fDvxmECEdD94GMSxoCLVAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've read a few reviews, similar to an SM58, not what I need for lead vocals but thanks for the suggestion ;)

Edited by skidder652003

4 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

Surely they can't be much cop at that price?!

They're brilliant. I've got two that I've used for years for vox and kick drum. Better feedback resistance than a 58 and sound 'crisper' to my ears, better high miss, which suit my voice well.

• Like 1

Another option: the Røde M2, which is a condenser mic in an SM58-style body with a locking mute switch, currently £68 on Amazon. I've never really got on with the SM58's weird frequency response for my vocals so I bought the M2 to use with the band last year - I've been pretty impressed with it in terms of sound and build quality.

(Echoing comments above, I also have an XM8500 in my gig box for emergencies - and I keep the M2 in the nice padded box that came with the XM8500!)

Edit: after today's gig, I can also confirm that the M2 works well as an instrument mic for a zheng (Chinese harp).

Edited by atsampson
  • Like 2

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 22:37, skidder652003 said:

thanks chaps, ordered 2 x  935's for £186, will let you know what I think of them!

Steve we are living parallel lives.  Sennheiser 935's and AKG D5's are what I've ended up with. I think you'll like the 935's. They are actually similar sounding to the AKG D5's but the D5's are incredibly directional and I can't keep my head still enough when I'm playing bass, great sounding for the money though. That's a great price for the Sennie's too, way less than I paid a couple of years ago. The only alternative I'd have recommended without going to silly money would be the D5C's, AKG have bought out a cardioid version of the D5 which wasn't available when I bought my 935. Haven't had a chance to try one yet but I love the sound of the D5 so if it provided that sound but was more tolerant of a hyperactive bass player it would be very interesting. My other mic? An EV 757

PS for anyone looking at the Behringer, it's OK we did an A/B with an sm58 years ago and it possibly sounds better (but not by much) but it's supercardioid and has worse handling noise, ours needed a wire resoldering which had been cut too short in the factory straining the soldered connection but otherwise it seemed pretty solid. 

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Steve we are living parallel lives.  Sennheiser 935's and AKG D5's are what I've ended up with. I think you'll like the 935's. They are actually similar sounding to the AKG D5's but the D5's are incredibly directional and I can't keep my head still enough when I'm playing bass, great sounding for the money though. That's a great price for the Sennie's too, way less than I paid a couple of years ago. The only alternative I'd have recommended without going to silly money would be the D5C's, AKG have bought out a cardioid version of the D5 which wasn't available when I bought my 935. Haven't had a chance to try one yet but I love the sound of the D5 so if it provided that sound but was more tolerant of a hyperactive bass player it would be very interesting. My other mic? An EV 757

PS for anyone looking at the Behringer, it's OK we did an A/B with an sm58 years ago and it possibly sounds better (but not by much) but it's supercardioid and has worse handling noise, ours needed a wire resoldering which had been cut too short in the factory straining the soldered connection but otherwise it seemed pretty solid. 

used the 935 in anger last week at a particularly boisterous gig and it performed brilliantly, the vocals are a whole level higher than the AKG D5's (and they're pretty good). The actual volume levels are much higher and the crispness and clarity was astonishing, very impressed..

Edited by skidder652003
  • Like 1

Never thought I'd be in the market for a microphone but we did a rehearsal at the weekend and I was persuaded to do some backing vocals. Just some oohs and aahs as a kind of harmony with the singer but it turned out not too bad. I have always thought I had a terrible voice; well I do actually. But, with a bit of practice, I could get used to it. Not sure about the audience!

So, seeing as I haven't bought anything music related for over a week, I just dropped £99 On the 935 plus stand and cable. Should be here by Wednesday. 

• Like 2

I used to have a Shure SM58, never really liked it. Tried the Behringer XM8500 (handy thing as a spare) but I now use a TC MP75, and wouldn't want to use anything else. They are quite expensive here, but much cheaper in the states (back when we had an exchange rate). Out of everything I have used, nothing works as well with my voice.

10 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

What a great first mic to do backing vox on! 

Well I hope so. It was your suggestion after all! To be fair, I know it will be more mic than I will ever need but it seemed too good a deal to pass up. And I've not read a bad review of it from various folks with different needs and different vocal styles. So I hope it will be a good choice. The stand and cable, neither of which I have at the moment, just sweeten the deal. 

• Like 1