Why become a member? ×

Bass soul food

Guest aDx

Most of the dissent seems to be around it not doing much... For me it does exactly enough, as an always on pedal. I've also found with a bit of tweaking it gives me a great overdrive for g**tar when I'm putting together demos for the band.

I liked it but ultimately moved it on. I generally like a clean bass tone with grit coming in from open tone and the finger attack. I felt that in my set up the soul food added some good drive to the high end but wasn't there in the low end.... Like I say, in my set up and for my playing style, others may coax something else out of it. I use drive as an absolutely not subtle "here is the heavy bass" or to thicken up the sound under a solo, I couldn't get it to suitably do these for me. 

I preferred its character a lot more than the EHX bass blogger I used to have. 

I have 2 on my board. If I'm using my Mesa rig with it's own drive they give varying amounts of scream. If I'm using my markbass the first one is my 'always on' drive and the second one kicks in if I want something more like Chris Wolstenholm. It's taken years of trying all sorts to find what works best for me.

• 5 months later...

I bought one off here after posting a thread seeking advice on an always on drive. I’d tend to echo that it’s quite trebly - Ive played with it and it’s great for a pick style clank but I’m going to try a TC Mojomojo  on my board as an alternative. 

There’s another thread on here seeking advice on a mod called a bread and butter mod which looks to add low end. Unfortunately it looks like the company that did it doesn’t any more, but someone else might be able to do it. 

4 hours ago, Jakester said:

Ive played with it and it’s great for a pick style clank but I’m going to try a TC Mojomojo  on my board as an alternative. 

I have both (Bass Soul Food + MojoMojo) on my board. I prefer the BSF because I think the Mojo is pretty dark and "Motown-sounding". The Mojo is nice in its own way, but if I should pick just one ....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, T-Bay said:

How does it compare? I looked at it but went for the hot wax to sit alongside the soul food in the end.

The Battalion has EQ shaping for the drive which gives you loads more control so you can get more flavours from it than the Soul Food.  I didn't like using the Battalion with an active bass though. I wrote loads about it in a thread comparing the Battalion to the Hartke VXL. thing is I'm not a big drive/ distortion user so I don't have an "always on" drive or whatever, and at the time I had mine I had three passive basses but got myself the first active bass that I could actually get on with but didn't invest the time to figure out the pedal for both active and passive. 

In a one line comparison: the Battalion does more and can get in to your low end which I couldn't get the Soul Food to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

The Ampeg Scrambler is similar to the BSF, but better to my ears.

Best thing to do would be to buy everything you're thinking about on the second hand marketplace and resell what doesn't work for you. There will be soany other factors in your set up and preferences that affect whether the pedal does what you need it to that you have to experiment. Buying off the marketpt you probably won't lose money on anything other than postage and for the cost of one brand new pedal you can probably keep two but have tried three or four others.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, isteen said:

I have both (Bass Soul Food + MojoMojo) on my board. I prefer the BSF because I think the Mojo is pretty dark and "Motown-sounding". The Mojo is nice in its own way, but if I should pick just one ....

That’s actually what I was looking for, but I’m going to have both on there and use them in the alternative!

Really like my BSF too - mine won't run on buffer though and pops a bit on true bypass.

I tried the Mojo Mojo which lasted probably the shortest period of any pedal I've ever tried - sub 5 mins before back in the box to be returned BUT I also picked up a Spark Booster as the same time which is very nice in a BSF kind of way but with a bit more flexibility - both on my board now.

14 minutes ago, redbandit599 said:

Really like my BSF too - mine won't run on buffer though and pops a bit on true bypass.

I tried the Mojo Mojo which lasted probably the shortest period of any pedal I've ever tried - sub 5 mins before back in the box to be returned BUT I also picked up a Spark Booster as the same time which is very nice in a BSF kind of way but with a bit more flexibility - both on my board now.

Lol, the BSF went straight back to the shop after 5 minutes, but the Mojomojo is on my board!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, redbandit599 said:

Never really found out what the buffer/not is - and what the difference is. Can someone enlighten me, please?

1 hour ago, isteen said:

Never really found out what the buffer/not is - and what the difference is. Can someone enlighten me, please?

There's an internal switch that flips between buffered and True Bypass. Mine isn't reliable in buffered ( which is what I prefer) might send it off for a fix.

You can set it to true bypass or buffered bypass.

True bypass wires the output jack directly to the input jack in bypass mode, buffered sends it through a transistor. A lot of pros and cons to both approaches, but generally it's good to have at least one always on buffer in your chain as it changes the impedance which reduces the signal/treble loss you get over long cable runs. Some badly designed buffers colour the sound though so many prefer true bypass.

• Thanks 1