Why become a member? ×

Which Yamaha BB to choose?

Sparkl

41 minutes ago, BenR24 said:

Hi, sorry to barge in on the convo, I have a bb435 and was wondering if there would be much noticeable upgrade if I went to a 1025x or should I wait a bit more and get a p35? 

I can't answer, but could I ask you is there something about the 435 you feel is lacking?  I've owned a 425X in the past, and a 735A currently. Am interested in past and current (and future) BBs for reference in case I get another one!

I personally love the 435 for the price point I think it’s great, feels lovely and high quality finish, like it doesn’t feel cheap. Also used it on live recordings and have had plenty of good feedback on the sound, however did use some pedals. But regardless has been great and have given plenty of use and gigging about with it. Only thing was the D string nut was a tad loose and rattled which I think I’ve seen someone else mention but was an easy easy fix with a bit of glue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BenR24 said:

Hi, sorry to barge in on the convo, I have a bb435 and was wondering if there would be much noticeable upgrade if I went to a 1025x or should I wait a bit more and get a p35? 

Having played both I’d say the 435 and 1025x necks feel a bit different, mostly in finish. They’re both satin necks but the newer ones are slightly more “aggressively” satin, if that makes any sense. I could feel the texture of the wood on the 435, whereas on my old 1025x the neck had less of that textured feeling - slicker to the touch. Both basses have satin finished necks but different degrees of satin I guess. I can’t say I necessarily prefer one over the other.

I definitely preferred the pickup selector switch of the older 1025x vs the blend knob Yamaha have gone for across the new range. So so easy to go between 3 distinct tones.

19 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

... Am interested in past and current (and future) BBs for reference in case I get another one!

The differences between the older BB425 and BB1025 (both of which I have) are as follows:

The BB1024/5 has:

1. A nickel silver rather than a plastic nut to deliver something akin to a "zero fret"

2. A better quality neck pup. Although the pup on the 424/5 is a beast and in some ways the 1024/5 is a more civilised version, so I'd say the end result is "different" rather than necessarily better!

3. 3 piece body and spline joint in the 1024/5 delivers greater strength

4. better quality bridge piece in the 1024/5

5. No Yamaha gig bag with the 424/5!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

On 30/10/2018 at 13:52, Al Krow said:

Agreed :)

That however I think that's quite a big statement!

• Blind test - would folk really hear any difference between a 1024/X and 2024/X?
  • Don't they have essentially the same pups, electrics and design?
  • What about the woods used, does that differ?
  • So what else is actually different between the 1024/X and 2024/X other than a slightly nicer finish and the fact that you're paying for the privilege of it being put together by more expensive Japanese workers?

I'm actually really interested to know, because if they were in a different league I'd have no hesitation, as a BBNE2 owner and a big fan of Yammy basses, upgrading my BB1025 to a BB2025.

There's sometimes a lot of hype preached about non-US made, non-Japanese or non-Italian made goods. I'd just like to point out that some of the most "desirable" phones in the world, costing $1,000 apiece, have US design but are to a large extent "made in China". Hasn't stopped Apple selling large numbers and being (alongside Amazon) one of the two most valuable companies on the planet.

I have no doubt that the Indonesian - made basses are excellent in their own right, I would not denigrate in any way, but I rate the Japanese - made Yamaha basses up there with some of the best instruments that money can buy.  I totally agree, it's a wonderful thing that less expensive basses can now offer so much of their more expensive counterparts.

But... when it comes to quality, in my experience, small details can make all the difference. The overall fit and finish of the Japanese basses elevates them into the same league as the best craftsmen - made basses. A BBNE2 is a match for any 5 string bass you care to mention, regardless of price. Obviously it will suit some folks more than others, but the design, sound, playability and overall quality is equal to anything out there.

Edited by Misdee

5 minutes ago, Misdee said:

I have no doubt that the Indonesian - made basses are excellent in their own right, I would not denigrate in any way, but I rate the Japanese - made Yamaha basses up there with some of the best instruments that money can buy.  I totally agree, it's a wonderful thing that less expensive basses can now offer so much of their more expensive counterparts.

But... when it comes to quality, in my experience, small details can make all the difference. The overall fit and finish of the Japanese basses elevates them into the same league as the best craftsmen - made basses. A BBNE2 is a match for any 5 string bass you care to mention, regardless of price. Obviously it will suit some folks more than others, but the design, sound, playability and overall quality is equal to anything out there.

I'm with you on the BBNE2. 

On the other hand, I just genuinely struggle to see / hear the difference between a 1024/5 and 2024/5.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

On the other hand, I just genuinely struggle to see / hear the difference between a 1024/5 and 2024/5.

Yep. It’s a strong +1 from me. Yamaha may have actually hurt themselves by making their lower end BB424/5 and 1024/5 so good not that many people felt the need to shell out the extra dough for their top end 2024/5. It’s a different situation with the likes of the NE2 and Attitude basses as they don’t really have more affordable equivalents.

They’ve been very smart in making the price tiers in the new range more distinct feature-wise than the older generation was. Active options as well as passive, very different finishes, some maple fingerboards thrown in. Well done Yammy.

I have a 1025X played a 2024X. The only thing that stood out as higher quality is the neck - a rubbed oil finish, smoother more polished frets, etc. I understand the body is more contoured also but In didn't have them side by side to spot the difference!

On 02/11/2018 at 20:05, Al Krow said:

The Indonesian 10 series basses are not as similar as you might assume. The hardware and pickups are essentially an Indonesian-made copy of the Japanese-made parts on the 20 series basses. They are not, as most people presume, the same as on Japanese-made basses. The  wood used on the Indonesian basses is also completely different from that used on the Japanese models. The seasoning process for the wood used on the Japanese basses is carefully controlled. The wood for the Indonesian basses is not as well prepared. More importantly, the fit and finish of the Japanese basses is far superior.

Don't get me wrong, the 10 series basses are fantastic in their own right and worth far more than they cost, in my view. But I honestly think that the 20 series basses are something really special and worth the extra cost if you are a fan. 

• Like 1