Why become a member? ×

David Essex

NancyJohnson

A few of you who are friends of mine on Facebook, will have seen a post I made earlier on that site earlier.

David Essex.  I'll profess having the tracks Rock On, Hold Me Close, Stardust and Gonna Make You A Star on a Spotify playlist feels somewhat of a guilty pleasure (much like a couple of Girls Aloud tracks, cough); I had some decorating to do earlier so just decided to dial up his first few albums to accommodate me while I was working.

They're spectacular albums really and have aged very well, in that they don't sound that old.  If you're familiar with the tracks I've listed above, then you're honestly in for a treat.  They're dubby, clever, smart even. I've listened to them three times today.  Go on, have a go.

Brilliant stuff.

• Like 4

I bought those singles as well and always liked his music and of course his image played a big part of that too. I remember watching him on a TV series where i'm sure he lived on a canal boat. He was / is a great actor too.

Might just have a look at his albums now. What do you recommend ?

Dave

The River was the canal boat series

Edited by dmccombe7

9 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Might just have a look at his albums now. What do you recommend ?

I enjoyed the first three showing on Spotify (one of them isn't up yet).

The first live one ('On Tour') isn't up either, but I was intrigued when I read a post somewhere saying it had the same energy as Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous

As a young lad I was transfixed by the effect he had on girls - that cheeky lopsided grin and big eyes.  I just wanted to be like him.  Which, given that I strongly resemble the cactus in my avatar, was always going to be a big ask.  But he was the epitome of cool back then.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Paul S said:

As a young lad I was transfixed by the effect he had on girls . 

I'll always be eternally jealous of him due to the fact that he dated Donna Fielding of Hot Gossip, who is quite possibly my all-time crush.

I always loved Imperial Wizard, that was a great tune.