Why become a member? ×

Your favourite cleaning products?

ped

13 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

If you do use Mr Sheen and other silicone based cleaners, don't spray them direct onto things. Silicone is a great insulator and can play havoc with electronics. Spray onto a cloth and wipe with that.

Having worked in wood finishing I can tell you that if you have used silicone polish on anything no finisher will ever want to touch it. It's not possible to respray anything after you've done that. The silicone repels any paint or lacquer and no rubbing down gets it off.

Silicone remains sticky and attracts dirt as well. What you can use is beeswax. It buffs up well and can be removed for spraying.

Edited by Grangur
  • Thanks 1

I'm still looking for a good cleaner for my nitro finished vintage Fenders. I use Dunlop 65 on all my other basses but I've read it's not good for nitro finishes a bit too often... What do you guys use? I think I used to use the Fender Custom Shop QuickClean but I seem to have forgotten...

2 hours ago, BassAgent said:

I'm still looking for a good cleaner for my nitro finished vintage Fenders. I use Dunlop 65 on all my other basses but I've read it's not good for nitro finishes a bit too often... What do you guys use? I think I used to use the Fender Custom Shop QuickClean but I seem to have forgotten...

Still Dr.Duck's axwax!

• 3 months later...
On 28/10/2018 at 19:47, ped said:

The fingerboard is cleaned with a bit of WD40 to make it shine (don’t worry it’s not wood!)

LOL!

Have you ever seen the Hamster's live?

'Snail's Pace Slim' ( Barry Martin) sprayed his fingerboard with WD40 between every song although (a) I suspect a degree of showmanship and (b) he's a guitarist anyway...

14 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

LOL!

Have you ever seen the Hamster's live?

'Snail's Pace Slim' ( Barry Martin) sprayed his fingerboard with WD40 between every song although (a) I suspect a degree of showmanship and (b) he's a guitarist anyway...

Could be part of his sponsorship agreement 😂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 24/04/2019 at 21:16, Dan Dare said:

If you do use Mr Sheen and other silicone based cleaners, don't spray them direct onto things. Silicone is a great insulator and can play havoc with electronics. Spray onto a cloth and wipe with that.

If you use silicon sprays on any bass (or furniture) you will never be able to refinish it ever again.

Silicon is a spray finisher's nightmare. You can never get rid of it and it repels paint or lacquer. 

On 03/09/2019 at 00:34, Count Bassy said:

I get Gonzeula to do it with Lemon Pledge.

If you use silicon sprays on any bass (or furniture) you will never be able to refinish it ever again.

Silicon is a spray finisher's nightmare. You can never get rid of it and it repels paint or lacquer. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Grangur said:

Most auto spray shops ban all silicone-containing products for that reason. Paint "fish eyes" ruin any refinishing work, period.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2019 at 21:59, Reggaebass said:

I bought a pretty grimy jazz a few years back , which had been stored uncovered , and I cleaned the rosewood fretboard with baby wipes , which have a soft soap , and then lightly oiled it with Dunlop fretboard 65 lemon oil , to re nourish the wood , and buffed it up with an old t shirt, it came up a treat 🙂

+1 here for Dunlop 65 Fretboard Lemon Oil on rosewood boards.

• Thanks 1

I use Briwax on my bare wood finishes. It was recommended by Chris from McIntyre guitars. Doesn't leave that sticky feel that beeswax does and polishes out really well leaving a nice matt finish rather than a shine. 

Wife bought The Original Non-silicone "Wood Silk" beeswax spray polish from Morrisons.

Still not sure what's best for painted basses tho Better go back over this thread again. Was using car polish but recent posts said not to. 

Dave

10 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Baby wipes for getting any serious grunge off of frets etc, Dunlop lemon oil, pure carnauba wax on glossy finishes and plated parts.

Baby wipes are also good on car dashboards and interior plastics.

Just don't use ArmorAll or other such products anywhere near painted/lacquered surfaces. They are full of silicones.

Unfortunately, some baby wipes also contain silicones ....so, beware.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/265402783_Silicones_in_Wet_Wipes_Benefits_and_New_Formulations

1 hour ago, MrCrane said:

A damp cloth 

Great for finished maple (lacquered or what have you). Maybe some windex on a microfibre towel or a toothbrush to get the gunk from the frets.

Treat unfinished, oiled or waxed maple boards with tru-oil, gunstock oil or Danish oil. The neck can be waxed with gunstock wax, like MusicMan does. I used Birchwood Casey gunstock oil and wax on my SR5.

• Like 2

Can I just big up this wax again. I bought it for the RA Mouse and an Ibanez, both of which have matte wood finishes. I was wondering what to use on the ACG as it’s highly gloss but having read up on Gerlitz some more I tried it. What a finish! Applied the wax with the supplied foam, left it for ten minutes, buffed it off (Matron) and Bob’s your (slightly unsettling) Uncle. Superb product imho.

7D48B6FF-431F-4BB3-A430-5CE96C86B954.jpeg

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

Can I just big up this wax again. I bought it for the RA Mouse and an Ibanez, both of which have matte wood finishes. I was wondering what to use on the ACG as it’s highly gloss but having read up on Gerlitz some more I tried it. What a finish! Applied the wax with the supplied foam, left it for ten minutes, buffed it off (Matron) and Bob’s your (slightly unsettling) Uncle. Superb product imho.

7D48B6FF-431F-4BB3-A430-5CE96C86B954.jpeg

So you can use it on painted and lacquered finishes too ?

Dave

• Thanks 1