Why become a member? ×

Your favourite cleaning products?

ped

So what do you use? What’s your routine? 

This is what I tend to use - Smith polish in my Smith bass as intended - I tried to get the partner wax for the untreated Morado fingerboard but can’t find it in the UK.  Sadowsky said he uses the Planet Waves Hydrate on Morado so I’m going to give it a try next time I re-string. 

My Wingbass is a Tung Oil finish and only needs a wipe with a damp rag so that’s easy. 

The Vigier has a very worn lacquer finish which has gone satin in places. Dunlop 65 works well on it, it seems to go on smoother than the smith stuff. The fingerboard is cleaned with a bit of WD40 to make it shine (don’t worry it’s not wood!)

So what do you use?

7DAD718B-505C-45FE-8A8F-71FE6ECC8072.jpeg

My Overwater i use Pledge or equivelant on a duster for the body and back of neck and use a little teak oil on the fretboard as instructed by Overwater.

My warwick i used to use the Warwick beeswax but was told about Briwax by luthier Chris McIntyre and now use that on Warwick. It doesn't leave any stickiness or feel greasy like Beeswax. Goes on the same but polishes off a lot easier.

On my other lacquered basses i use Gibson lacquer polish.

On fretted basses i'll use Duraglit to give a very light clean on the frets but only just to remove tarnished stains. Usually the polish will clean the fets

I think i need to invest in some new  cleaner for my lacquered basses as the Gibson one is getting a little watery looking so this thread will be interesting to see what's most popular.

I always polish the full bass when changing strings. In between string changes its just a quick clean with a duster to remove finger marks.

Great idea for a thread.

Dave

• 5 months later...

I bought a pretty grimy jazz a few years back , which had been stored uncovered , and I cleaned the rosewood fretboard with baby wipes , which have a soft soap , and then lightly oiled it with Dunlop fretboard 65 lemon oil , to re nourish the wood , and buffed it up with an old t shirt, it came up a treat 🙂

• Like 3

15 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Well, the Jazz is maple, but I have a few (cough) others of both 😀

I might be misremembering this, but I’m sure I heard somewhere that lemon oil wasn’t the best for fingerboards. It may well have been on Dave’s World of Fun Stuff, but he’s got hundreds of videos, so I’ve got no chance of finding it again.

Don't think the Briwax has lemon oil. I remember it has a mix of Carnauba and beeswax tho. I use that on my Overwater, Warwick and Rosewood necks and Autoglym car polish on my lacquered finished basses. That's because i had run out of guitar polish and brought it in from garage and its remained in the bass cave since. :D

• Like 1

D'addario, Dunlop and Rotosound are each used by me. But no lemon oil when I had a maple neck or two. Currently using the Rotosound Guitar polish on my Dingwall but only on the body. Clean duster for the back of the neck with a fret board cleaner only used when I change strings.

• Like 1