Why become a member? ×

Cort Artisan B4-Plus AS Open Pore Natural Thoughts ???

Emil Schnell

I'm looking around for a new bass and came across this. I think it looks amazing and from what I can find of demos, it sounds good as well. Though I've seen some bad reviews too... I dont know what to think. Anyone who has experience with this particular bass or someone who can confirm the bad reviews? 

I was looking at a trbx304 from Yamaha as well, and wanted to know if they are comparable and in that case which might be better

Im also open for new suggestions on basses in that price range and style :))

Edited by Emil Schnell

I've had a number of different Corts and one thing you can say for them is that the fit and finish is generally exceptional for the money. The older model B4 that I've tried was very good. The B4+ with Markbass preamp should, in principle, be very good.

The only negative comment would concern the Mk1 Bartolini pickups - some people like them, and quite a few don't. Personally, I've never really liked them - found them a bit anaemic sound wise - not terrible, just a bit "meh", characterless, which I found to be a shame because everything else about Corts is impeccable.

So, in summary... the guitar itself - you'll be hard-pressed to find similar quality at the same price point. The pickups... you'll probably either love 'em or hate 'em. It's very much a case of try before you buy if you can. And if possible don't buy new as the resale on Corts is miserable.

Also worth a look is the Cort C4H - an older model but with double Musicman style humbuckers that is rather nice. Can be had for good prices if you can find one (certainly under £300, even brand new).

4 minutes ago, anzoid said:

I've had a number of different Corts and one thing you can say for them is that the fit and finish is generally exceptional for the money. The older model B4 that I've tried was very good. The B4+ with Markbass preamp should, in principle, be very good.

The only negative comment would concern the Mk1 Bartolini pickups - some people like them, and quite a few don't. Personally, I've never really liked them - found them a bit anaemic sound wise - not terrible, just a bit "meh", characterless, which I found to be a shame because everything else about Corts is impeccable.

So, in summary... the guitar itself - you'll be hard-pressed to find similar quality at the same price point. The pickups... you'll probably either love 'em or hate 'em. It's very much a case of try before you buy if you can. And if possible don't buy new as the resale on Corts is miserable.

Also worth a look is the Cort C4H - an older model but with double Musicman style humbuckers that is rather nice. Can be had for good prices if you can find one (certainly under £300, even brand new).

Thanks for the great advice :DD

Will definitely check it out and possibly try it out first, if I can find it anywhere...

Any other bass you could recommend in that price range??

Cort basses are pretty cool instruments. They make stuff for g&l, Ibanez and a multitude of others no doubt. Buy it online, try it out and if you don`t like it, send it back.

If I was looking for an active bass I would get a Sire. I am seriously looking at a P7 version 2 model in Andertons at the moment at just under £500.

I have an Ibanez SR1006 which was made by Cort - and it is an exceptionally good bass for the money I paid for it. Mine has an East pre-amp which probably adds to the tonal range (the bass came with this fitted, so I haven't been able to compare to with the original pre-amp). Definitely a good manufacturer as far as I can tell.

Edited by FinnDave

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I have an Ibanez SR1006 which was made by Cort - and it is an exceptionally good bass for the money I paid for it. Mine has an East pre-amp which probably adds to the tonal range (the bass came with this fitted, so I haven't been able to compare to with the original pre-amp). Definitely a good manufacturer as far as I can tell.

I was thinking of an SR as well, but I fell like (for my budget) that it sounds a bit weird. Idk what it is, or if it's just me, but i like the sound (and looks :DD) of the higher end SR's better. I tried one (SR 300e) the other day and no doubt its nice to play but I just didn't feel the sound. But when I get a bigger budget I will definitely get an SR :))

12 minutes ago, Sambrook said:

I would seriously recommend the C4 plus OTAB, with the Markbass preamp. 

I had the 5 string, and it was great, (but I really like the pickups anyway) 

£390 at Bass Direct.... 

That looks damn good :DD

It's getting more and more difficult to choose with all these good suggestions, but I really appreciate it! :DD

44 minutes ago, Emil Schnell said:

I was thinking of an SR as well, but I fell like (for my budget) that it sounds a bit weird. Idk what it is, or if it's just me, but i like the sound (and looks :DD) of the higher end SR's better. I tried one (SR 300e) the other day and no doubt its nice to play but I just didn't feel the sound. But when I get a bigger budget I will definitely get an SR :))

There are three levels of SR basses, standard, premium, and prestige. The 1006 was the prestige model in its day, and is a damn fine bass in this day and age too.

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

There are three levels of SR basses, standard, premium, and prestige. The 1006 was the prestige model in its day, and is a damn fine bass in this day and age too.

That I believe. For now I think I'll stick with one a little cheaper like some mentioned above, but thanks anyway. I've definitely thought of buying one, one day :))

59 minutes ago, Emil Schnell said:

That I believe. For now I think I'll stick with one a little cheaper like some mentioned above, but thanks anyway. I've definitely thought of buying one, one day :))

My SR 1006 cost me just under 600 quid complete with East pre-amp and original HSC.

5 minutes ago, Emil Schnell said:

It would seem more expensive... As you can see I'm a bit of a noob at this 

Its still out of my price range though :// 

Plenty of second hand bargains around if you look - I got my 1006 from Bass Direct. A lot of the far eastern basses don't seem to hold their value like an American instrument does, but can be superior instruments if you just want to play them.

I have the Cort B4 with an ACG Pre-Amp.  Excellent build quality and wider neck than the Ibanez SR600 (which is essentially the same bass overwise).  Pickups are a bit Meh and a beach to get replacements, as they are a weird size.  Think I might have reviewed it on here....?

I’ve got an Artisan A4 and it is a cracker only let down by the miserable electronics. I tried a c4 with the  Markbass pre and that was fantastic sound and playing wise. The Bartolini pre seems to be the problem. However, others who have tried mine think it sounds great. Go figure!