Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Mini 408 400watt

gpw5150

You'll want to play around with the tuning frequency some more, trying at 55 and 60Hz as well. Keep in mind to calculate the volume taken up by the ports, which gos down as they're made shorter for higher tuning. That adds to to box volume, which changes the overall result. It takes a while, but it's worth it to find out what the various tuning options will result in.

On 30/10/2018 at 20:32, gpw5150 said:

Thanks Bill - May I take the opportunity to thank you for your help, not often I get to interact with an industry legend.

Messing with the model tonight shows that porting the box with the original drivers seems to be the best option;  Thick green line;  The SFE-200 seems to go bonkers vented (thin green line), but be far better sealed

image.thumb.png.22cff103ca4f7219144a9d4ecaa3b994.png

One word or warning here. You need to check both your cone excursion and air velocity. However first use the max power graph as although the frequemcy response (Transfer Function in Win ISD) looks good you may have severe dip in maximum power at some frequency.

In other news, I have a boogie TL806 cab with an evm12L loaded in it.  Useless for bass, but if I block a port it should lower the cab rsonance down to ~50hz.  I then need a good 12” bass driver that works in that cab!  Any thoughts?

There are reports on talkbass that the eminence delta lite can work in the TL806 but the general consensus is that it is fine as a guitar cab but even with a bass oriented speaker it is still a fair way behind a properly designed modern bass cab, I'm with @Sibob on this, I'd be selling the ashdown and buying something else that is better suited to you. 

@Matt P TBH, I will probably flog the Boogie TL.  I prefer to try and work the issue a bit and h cab I got was not bank breaking.  I think that the SFE-200, tune the cab to 66Hz with 2 x ~7cm ports looks pretty good (Thick green line).  £107 for the drivers and a couple of quid for port tubes.  Looks like it will even be an upgrade sealed to (Red Line).  The thin green and thin blue are the TF0818's - which I can sell on.

image.thumb.png.0a618c5cccf74a754d4a0452990442fc.png

• 1 month later...

Only just seen this tread.  @gpw5150 bought this from me and I bought it from Ashdown's eBay store.  Celestion drivers? Can only apologise as I did not mean to mislead: they're advertised as Sica drivers on Ashdown's site, so that's what I based my advert on. 

https://ashdownmusic.com/products/abm-408-neo

"Rated at 2000W, the 8 ohm ABM 408 NEO cabinet is loaded with 4x8” SICA NEO drivers. "

Mind you the handle was different as well so maybe this was a prototype?  Was bought a year ago, so the eBay listing is now gone and can't check that it was advertised as. 

2 minutes ago, Sharkfinger said:

Only just seen this tread.  @gpw5150 bought this from me and I bought it from Ashdown's eBay store.  Celestion drivers? Can only apologise as I did not mean to mislead: they're advertised as Sica drivers on Ashdown's site, so that's what I based my advert on. 

"Rated at 2000W, the 8 ohm ABM 408 NEO cabinet is loaded with 4x8” SICA NEO drivers. "

Mind you the handle was different as well so maybe this was a prototype?  Was bought a year ago, so the eBay listing is now gone and can't check that it was advertised as. 

No worries - it has given me a mini Xmas project!

I had the old Ashdown 4x8 600 watt cab years ago. Bought it for peanuts with seized drivers. Totally oblivious to the complexities of cabinet design I bought 4 150 watt Celestion drivers from Blue Aran, bunged them in, hooked up the wiring and gigged happily with it for the next 4 years. Always sounded fine and never missed a beat. Ignorance can apparently be bliss.

10 hours ago, Sharkfinger said:

Don`t think it was a prototype as I have an ABM 2 x 10 mini, made in the UK that I cannot find any mention of except in the Gear4music website, which is where I bought it. The one I have has Celestion speakers rated at 300 watts and a strap type handle on the top. The one`s on the Ashdown website have Sica drivers and a recessed handle on the top. It seems that your ex cab and mine are from a secret stash that Ashdown released then erased from their history B|

I seem to recall a 4 x 8 cab on the same advert for the same price?

Edited by jezzaboy