Why become a member? ×

3Leaf Chromatron - new filter!

dannybuoy

Damn!!! Just when I thought I'd sorted my pedal board out! 😂

So this is going to be a step up from the 3Leaf Wonderlove and its predecessor the GR2 both of which have been much loved / admired? 

Someone please explain what a "State Variable Filter" does, as that's beyond my pay grade, but it does seem to be the magic ingredient in this new little box!

Any ideas on pricing / when it's going to be available?

21 hours ago, Al Krow said:

please explain what a "State Variable Filter" does, as that's beyond my pay grade, but it does seem to be the magic ingredient in this new little box!

A state variable filter is certainly nothing new, or a magic ingredient of any kind - both the GR2 and Wonderlove (most envelope filters actually) are based on a state variable filter. They combine a low pass, band pass and high pass filter in one circuit.  

I'd be more interested in knowing about the revolutionary envelope detection circuit Spencer has used... 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bigwan said:

A state variable filter is certainly nothing new, or a magic ingredient of any kind - both the GR2 and Wonderlove (most envelope filters actually) are based on a state variable filter. They combine a low pass, band pass and high pass filter in one circuit.  

I'd be more interested in knowing about the revolutionary envelope detection circuit Spencer has used... 

Ok that's useful, thanks.

The controls and layout on the Chromatron are essentially identical to the Wonderlove Deluxe; a couple of the control names changed, but they appear to be the same function.

So I guess it's going to hinge on this new "revolutionary envelope detection circuit" whether this really is an upgrade or just a rehash with a new paint job.

Maybe time to put the credit card away, for a little while at least, until we get to find out what's really changed under the hood!

somebody asked on the facebook page about the envelope detection circuit and the response was..."The entire circuit is redesigned....it's still an optical filter like the Wonderlove but it has lower noise, the detector follows your playing in a more musical way, the build quality is better, and the expression pedal input has been redesigned to have a much smoother sweep."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

IT'S OUT!!

https://www.3leafaudio.com/shop/chromatron

Shipping from 11/11

I suspect that the price will be an eye watering £350 in the UK when shipping, handling and taxes are added.

...I guess I know what I'm going to be asking Santa for Xmas this year then :) 

That’s a pretty penny. It’s going to have to be absolutely astounding to justify parting with that kind of money.

That bezel though...

No respect for Mr Doren anymore and don't really wish to fund his business ventures, but interested in what he has come up with here. New logo is hideous, another price rise, something special or is this just a rebadged Wonderlove?

On 31/10/2018 at 12:45, Quatschmacher said:

That’s a pretty penny. It’s going to have to be absolutely astounding to justify parting with that kind of money.

Starting to be in the same price bracket as DG pedals methinks. Just potentially a lot more fun 😁

5 hours ago, Kev said:

No respect for Mr Doren anymore 

Why?

5 hours ago, Kev said:

...another price rise, something special or is this just a rebadged Wonderlove?

That is indeed the £350 question!

On 02/11/2018 at 07:06, Al Krow said:

Starting to be in the same price bracket as DG pedals methinks. Just potentially a lot more fun 😁

Why?

That is indeed the £350 question!

Im a fan of spencers work,however I don't think I'd spend £350 on this,which is potentially a souped up wonderlove! Don't get me wrong a more aggressive/squelchy wonderlove would definately be a thing to have, but not at that price.

I did hope for something a little different, but hopefully some bass demos might get the sales going 😁

Yeah I'm pretty uninterested now I've seen the price. 

But it got me thinking.... 

If its the best sounding, most responsive filter I've ever heard... Will I drop £350 

Yes. 

If its not quite up to expectations there's a plenty big market for 2nd hand gear round here. Might loose a 50???

All depends on the demos. Still waiting... 

You'd typically expect to lose around 20% to 30% buying new and selling used within a year. So perhaps a £70 to £100 hit on moving something like this on, which is not insignificant. Made worse by the fact that new prices can come down from first release. Eg I bought my Zoom B3n for £170 new, but they're selling new for nearer £130 these days; and we've just all seen what's happened to TC pedals!

6 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

If a pedal like this had just come out and there are next to none on the used market, a £350 pedal would sell for £300 pretty easily. Buy it from Prymaxe with their 20% discount code and you could even sell it for a profit!

Yup, actually the scarcity point on something that has just come out (vs one that has been around a while) is a good one and was missing from my previous comment. 

Supply and Demand. Adam Smith knew his onions and would have known his bass pedals had they been out in his day :) 

Are Prymaxe an US based retailer, so you would have shipping, UK handling fee, customs and VAT to add to their prices?

Edited by Al Krow

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yup, actually the scarcity point on something that has just come out (vs one that has been around a while) is a good one and was missing from my previous comment. 

Supply and Demand. Adam Smith knew his onions and would have known his bass pedals had they been out in his day :) 

Are Prymaxe an US based retailer, so you would have shipping, UK handling fee, customs and VAT to add to their prices?

It looks US-based but still looks like it might work out cheaper. 

24 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

It looks US-based but still looks like it might work out cheaper. 

I was struggling to see how you would get to cheaper, even with the 20% discount?

Unless the UK price of £462 they are quoting is all taxes and handling paid and just shipping to add on top? In which yes it would work out a bit cheaper. But I'd hate to ever have to return the thing to the US under warranty or 30 day return period option etc.

Edited by Al Krow

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I was struggling to see how you would get to cheaper, even with the 20% discount?

Unless the UK price of £462 they are quoting is all taxes and handling paid and just shipping to add on top? In which yes it would work out a bit cheaper. But I'd hate to ever have to return the thing to the US under warranty or 30 day return period option etc.

I didn’t go as far as putting it in my basket so your figure is likely way more accurate. I think it’s probably best to wait and try one from bassdirect with the option of a cheap return. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Prymaxe price is £269.05 before the discount (their public discount code doesn't work for all brands as some vendors insist on a minimum price, but they will give you a private discount code via their online chat), shipping is very reasonable, and I've not been hit by any charges after ordering dozens of pedals from them.

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

Prymaxe price is £269.05 before the discount (their public discount code doesn't work for all brands as some vendors insist on a minimum price, but they will give you a private discount code via their online chat), shipping is very reasonable, and I've not been hit by any charges after ordering dozens of pedals from them.

Thanks DB - you're, of course, referring to their Chromatron price (which is what this thread is about!) 

I should make clear I was referring to their price for the Helix Stomp (£462)

2 hours ago, GisserD said:

First bass review and a video just posted on TB.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/3leaf-audio-club-episode-2.957647/page-189

It was difficult to hear anything useful from that comparison. I’m happy that the envelope rippling has been ameliorated somewhat as that was always a pain on the Wonderlove.