Why become a member? ×

New Short Scale - string tension questions!

alstocko

Hey guys, back on her after a long absence.

I'm looking for some advice regarding a new short scale I picked up. It's an old Kay bass EB 100, not in the best nick so I'm in the process of restoring it.

Anyway... I currently play the Thomastik Infeld Jazz flats on my P, and I'm looking to put some tapewounds (most likely LaBellas) on this bass when it's finished. The difficulty I'm having is finding out which tapewounds would be of a similar tension on this bass at 30.5" scale. I'm not bothered about them being a bit higher tension, but I'd like to keep the difference between the two basses close.

Thanks,

Alec

That will be a 40 yr old bass, the neck on those are pretty poor, so I would be very worried about high tension strings - they may break the neck! Tapewounds are a little thicker in guage than standard strings, so they may not fit the nut properly, you may need to file the nut for each string.

This link may help you... http://www.shortscalebass.co.uk/short-scale-string-choice

• 1 month later...