Why become a member? ×

DB with audio interface?

Ceebass

Hi all,

I've got a few DB gigs coming up which I'll need to be amplified for: I was wondering if I could get away with using my Scarlett 2i2 interface/Macbook setup into my amp, rather than buying a dedicated DB preamp? Have any of you folks done this before? I use this rig quite regularly on electric, but I would be interested if anyone has any thoughts on it r.e. the big bass. I'm using a Shadow SH951pickup, if that has any bearing on it!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Ta

As long as the interface input has an high enough input impedance to work with the Shadow, you should be fine.

*Edit* Just checked out the specs of the Scarlett and it says the input impedance is 8kOhm. That's a lot lower than the impedance that piezo pickups normally like to see (5-10MOhm).  That doesn't mean it won't work, but the sound might be a bit thin and nasal.

Ultimately it's a case of plug it in and give it a go, if you like the sound that comes out, you're good to go.

Edited by TheRev
  • Thanks 1

Hi CeeBass, 

Ok, I'm being a bit cheeky here, but have you thought about an Electric EUB for giogs? It's no coinincidence that I currently Have one for salem, lots of extras with it too (hardcase, padded plush gig bag, stand, bow, and pot of rosin)! The pre amp is really hot, and has a seperatwe sub bass volume, so reallty handy for eliminating or adding rumble. Compact and portable (compared to a conventional DB), made from solid maple.

Link is here anyway:

Sorry, I know I'm being very cheeky.

Rich

On 28/10/2018 at 14:25, DiceSociety said:

Hi CeeBass, 

Ok, I'm being a bit cheeky here, but have you thought about an Electric EUB for giogs? It's no coinincidence that I currently Have one for salem, lots of extras with it too (hardcase, padded plush gig bag, stand, bow, and pot of rosin)! The pre amp is really hot, and has a seperatwe sub bass volume, so reallty handy for eliminating or adding rumble. Compact and portable (compared to a conventional DB), made from solid maple.

Link is here anyway:

Sorry, I know I'm being very cheeky.

Rich

Haha, worth a shot! I don't think I can justify a whole new instrument at the minute 😞

15 minutes ago, shamrock198804 said:

Hi mate

I'm using the same pickup through Zoom B3 and can't complain. Obviously the sound isn't as amazing as a mic'ed bass, but there's no problems with it whatsoever. 

Ah okay, that's interesting! What kind of patches do you use on the B3? Do you use it to shape the tone at all or do you rely on your amp E.Q to do that?

6 minutes ago, Ceebass said:

Ah okay, that's interesting! What kind of patches do you use on the B3? Do you use it to shape the tone at all or do you rely on your amp E.Q to do that?

The B3 allows for three patches simultaneously, so i use a noise gate which is mostly useful when I play with that setup at home, Acoustic Preamp (which is supposed to be modelled after a Fishman preamp) and a compressor.

I always prefer to keep my eq's as flat as possible, so the preamp deviates only a bit from flat here and there (mostly to counteract that artificial thumpy sound that makes your db sound like an electric bass with flats and foam under the bridge, but I suppose that's just how piezo double basses sound in general). The compression is turned down so low, that I can't generally hear a difference, but it makes me feel better about the sound anyway, lol.

After I'm happy with the sound coming out from the interface (I've spent some time tuning and recording this patch at home and playing it back), I only use the amp's EQ to make it sound as close as possible to what I intended, so again it's mostly flat.

This way I can be confident, that at least what comes out of the interface is alright.

Hope this makes sense!