Why become a member? ×

Bowie on the telly last night

spectoremg

8 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’m really in two minds whether to watch this as I pre-ordered the CD/DVD set when it 

We used this Glastonbury version of Wild Is The Wind as a template for our cover (of a cover 🙄) and it worked out great. 

Well done for doing Wild is the Wind. 

And now you mention it there was a wonky bit in Golden Years. 

• Like 1

Saw Bowie on the Serious Moonlight tour at Milton Keynes Bowl, with The Beat and Icehouse. That was some gig.

Check Bowie at the BBC  theater 2000 on YT. Great gig - the sound is awesome under headphones. Highlight was Mark Plati's bass on Ashes to Ashes

2 hours ago, fleabag said:

Saw Bowie on the Serious Moonlight tour at Milton Keynes Bowl, with The Beat and Icehouse. That was some gig.

Check Bowie at the BBC  theater 2000 on YT. Great gig - the sound is awesome under headphones. Highlight was Mark Plati's bass on Ashes to Ashes

The Beeb gig was fantastic. Band tight as hell, the voice amazing and I've long considered that Mark Plati bass as one of my favourite bass YouTube clips. I was always puzzled why he swapped instruments with Gail Ann Dorsey for that one track. She doesn't like slapping?!

10 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

It's easily done. There are four breaks in the song and only the second and fourth are the same, the other two are different, plus the length of the verses alternate. Not one you coast through without paying attention I've found 😀

I meant well done for picking it, it's a beautiful song.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Surely that's Earl Slick playing bass there?  Not who Fleabag said?

BTW I was at MK Bowl for the serious moonlight gig too...the main thing I remember was sunburn lol!

Yeah i remember being cooked in the sun there, and when you've quaffed a load of cider, the sun/cider mix takes it's toll. Yes, i was mashed - again

3 hours ago, kusee pee said:

The Beeb gig was fantastic. Band tight as hell, the voice amazing and I've long considered that Mark Plati bass as one of my favourite bass YouTube clips. I was always puzzled why he swapped instruments with Gail Ann Dorsey for that one track. She doesn't like slapping?!

Basically what Hiram said.  She's a competent guitarist and  he slaps that MM like he was a bass player, rather than a guitar player.

PS Earl Slick's guitaring is sublime  too

I asbo lootly agree. Sterling is one tight drummer, and drums like a drummer, if that makes sense. The Dorsey / Plati /  Slick / Campbell /  Garson line up are superb for Bowie, and i also include Holly Palmer and Emm Gryner ( backing vox / percussion and backing vox / keys respectively )

Palmer is not just a backing singer - she's a crooner in her own right.  It's a super band all round, and the 2000 line up is also my fave

Edited by fleabag

22 hours ago, Shambo said:

I was lucky enough to be present at this gig. Maybe the best gig of my life. It was absolutely mesmerising.

I was there too. Aside from Bowie, one of the many things I remember from that day - The Icehouse bass player throwing his bass across the dressing room/caravan after their show, and thinking, "What a kn#b!"