Why become a member? ×

Daily Mail and John Deacon

Steve Browning

1 hour ago, prowla said:

I don't read any newspapers.

Ditto. In forty-five years on this planet my newspaper buying tally has yet to reach double figures. I've never seen the point, if the news is going to affect me then I'll find out about it soon enough. 

I did read the linked article about Mr. Deacon when first posted but have forgotten most it's contents now. His life choice seems fair enough to me, I won't bother him and I doubt he'll bother me so we'll get along just grand. Now where's that cup of tea gone. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, grenadillabama said:

I just made a tape copy of this tune. It sounds like a passive Fender with flatwounds to me. Did he use a Stingray much ?

Not sure, best Google it. But agreed, it sounds like p bass with dead flats played with plectrum. 

I left this thread a week or so ago, thinking that we had all agreed that JD should be left alone by the gutter press, and was a little surprised to find that there was still yet more to say on the subject.  Imagine my surprise that it's gone a little off topic...

So to the heart of the thread...

I used to regularly go to a town centre Wetherspoons, about 20 years ago, with my then girlfriend, for a pint and lunch after a hard morning's following her around the shops.  Perfectly fine at that time of day - beer and food were cheap and cheerful, but you probably wouldn't want to go there on a Friday or Saturday night.

Studiously avoided them for the following decade, dismissed as soulless caverns full of chavs.

Then a CAMRA devotee started including them in his birthday pub crawls.  One thing they do well is keep their beer properly - check out how many appear in the Good Beer Guide.  And over the last few years they have added craft beer to their selection, and have kept the prices very low.  So if you know nothing else about the local pubs, you can almost certainly get a very reasonably priced pint of good, well kept beer in the local Spoons.  Rarely my first choice of where to go, but always a good default

There's still a fair amount of chav-infested town centre pubs, but you're always going to get that where the model is stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap, and it's more to do with being a town centre pub than anything else.  One of my locals publicises the fact that it keeps the price of a pint quite high specifically in order to deter that sort of punter.  Actually, I far more object to the places often being full of families with screaming kids.

But there are plenty that aren't like that and in my experience of even the town centre ones, they're typically so vast that you can usually find a quiet corner where you will be left alone by the crowd (perhaps that's just my off-putting persona).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

I was so expecting you to conclude with ' and there in the corner was none other than, John Deacon'.

sadly not...or was he and I'm choosing not to comment on his private life

However, Brian May was/is a resident of a village close to where I grew up and was to be seen on occasion

I cannot comment on his choice of beer or newspaper

Edited by Monkey Steve