Why become a member? ×

Daily Mail and John Deacon

Steve Browning

30 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

well each to there own, less queuing time for me 😊, I'm rather fond of their veterinarian lasagne 

I don't use the one nearest to me very often tbh, it's one of the soulless ones you talk about but there are good ones as well. In Nottingham the Trent Bridge Inn and the Gooseberry Bush are worth a visit

I don't think they pay their staff that well, but bar staff don't get good wages anywhere but training and suchlike is good (so I hear) and no zero hours contracts I don't think anyway

I hope you mean vegetarian lasagne, though it might explain the stories I've read about it.

I've been in 6 Wetherspoons, each is etched indelibly on my mind. The worst for cleanliness was probably in Carlisle, the food on the floor looked to have been there for several days, if it was freshly fallen on the floor then I feel sorry for whoever had been trying to eat it. The last one was Bristol next to Temple Meads, it was late after a gig and I wanted coffee prior to my train home. Again the tables were dirty, this was despite there being more bar staff than customers. I remember phoning my mom to let her know I'd made the train, it being the last one. Even though I was talking quietly my voice was echoing around the place, the few people who were there were just staring blankly into space. I just drank the black liquid as fast as I could and disappeared into the night.

• Haha 1

If you have an estate of 900 pubs and growing and employ over 37,000 people, it places you in a very strong position to negotiate the leanest buying prices, it’s economies of scale, that’s why I can go into my local one (and it is a local, manager and same staff been there years) and buy a pint of cider for £1.99.

The original premises, a hotel, stood empty for a few years, Wetherspoons revived it to a very high standard retaining many of the original features and it’s now a great focal/meeting point in the small market town where I live.

Showing a video of a brawl in one Wetherspoons out of 900 does not depict the usual type of clientele that use there pubs.

• Like 2

I've just now remembered that a woman I used to work with went off to Wetherspoons to be a 'secret shopper', going round branches pretending to be a customer, trying the food and drinks and generally giving everything the once over.

Two things I recall from when I next saw her. She said that Tim Martin was a good boss, hard but fair, and that she'd put on so much weight her backside was now the size of a planet. She offered to show me but I made my excuses and left.

Edited by skankdelvar
missing verb
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RedVee said:

I can't see what all the fuss is about! I read the article about John Deacon in The Mail as I get it every day and it was fair piece of journalism.

What was the actual story? 

As far as I could work.out it was rich rockstar keeps himself to himself.  Non-story.  Poor journalism. He clearly doesn't want the attention and isn't doing anything to attract it. Why even print it!?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gs_triumph said:

As far as I could work.out it was rich rockstar keeps himself to himself.  Non-story.  Poor journalism. He clearly doesn't want the attention and isn't doing anything to attract it. Why even print it!?

That's the Mail's top tier journalism in action. A none story which has no relation to all the sh#t that's going on in the world. Often quoting an unnamed source (i.e invented) then five paragraphs of Ethel from Tyneside said on Twitter, "I blame all the immigrants" 

Edit:

Other news providers are available, but they're all pretty much as bad as each other. They just blame different parties or social groups. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, timhiggins said:

To be fare wetherspoons are only chav central of an evening , in the daytime its racist pensioners and blokes with no teeth bad tats and a habit having a row with themselves at the bar...

Sounds like you might've been to The Moon Under Water in Cheltenham, the one adjacent to Sandford Park that looks like a Wickes store. Bad teeth, or more precisely one or two brown stumps, are de rigeur for the lunchtime crowds. I'm sure it's also a recruiting office for the EDL

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, steantval said:

If you have an estate of 900 pubs and growing and employ over 37,000 people, it places you in a very strong position to negotiate the leanest buying prices, it’s economies of scale, that’s why I can go into my local one (and it is a local, manager and same staff been there years) and buy a pint of cider for £1.99.

The original premises, a hotel, stood empty for a few years, Wetherspoons revived it to a very high standard retaining many of the original features and it’s now a great focal/meeting point in the small market town where I live.

Showing a video of a brawl in one Wetherspoons out of 900 does not depict the usual type of clientele that use there pubs.

Yes but like it is with the supermarkets and farmers, Wetherspoons has most micro-breweries over a barrel and it's the them that pay the price for your cheap beer in the form of low margins

13 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yes but like it is with the supermarkets and farmers, Wetherspoons has most micro-breweries over a barrel and it's the them that pay the price for your cheap beer in the form of low margins

I'm friendly with the guys that run a small brewery who supply beer to spoons, and they are more than happy with the way they do business with them

• Like 1

11 hours ago, steantval said:

I always have my kids with me and the 'Spoons I've been too have been fairly clean, fairly quiet,reasonably priced and selling decent food they will eat (for not much more money than macdonalds). The one in Meadowhall is clean and friendly. 

What not to like?

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Other news providers are available, but they're all pretty much as bad as each other. They just blame different parties or social groups. 

I've been buying the i paper since it's launch, and always find it an excellent read. Concise and balanced format, well worth 60p / £1 on Saturdays.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, casapete said:

I've been buying the i paper since it's launch, and always find it an excellent read. Concise and balanced format, well worth 60p / £1 on Saturdays.

Never heard of it.

In other news, nowt wrong with Wetherspoons. I used to be a mobile worker, working in different places all over the UK from one week to the next, which meant eating out every night. We would always head for the closest Whethies whenever possible. A meal and a pint for 5 or 6 quid and no loud music or screaming kids area. Can't beat that! 

• Like 1

On 27/10/2018 at 18:30, skankdelvar said:

Never use the Daily Mail as a liner for a cat's litter tray because evil. Instead, go to the newsagents and ask them for their leftover copies of The Guardian, The Daily Mirror or The Washington Post because not evil. Interleave a page from each (because diversity is strength) and lay them in the tray.

Alternatively, here's my recipe for DIY ethical granulated cat litter using the newspapers mentioned above:

1. Shred newspaper in a paper shredder and collect it in an unused plastic litter tray.

2. Soak the paper in warm water mixed with a few squirts gentle, biodegradable dish soap. The shredded paper takes on a cooked oatmeal consistency. The paper won’t come completely clean, but the water will turn grey.

3. Drain the water (an old colander works wonders) and repeat the soaking process minus the soap.

4. Sprinkle baking soda liberally on the wet paper. Knead it in to the mixture (you might want to wear gloves to avoid getting ink on your hands).

5. Squeeze the remaining moisture out until it’s as dry as you can get it.

6. Crumble over a medium-fine mesh and leave to dry for a few days.

7. Once it’s dry, put about an inch and a half to two inches of the paper crumbles in the litter box. Scoop solids daily and change it once a week. It takes about a half an hour to 45 minutes to make a 2-3 week supply ,

Enjoy!

thats ok for nice solid big jobs but what about when they fosters on it ?

asking for a cat owning friend

11 hours ago, gs_triumph said:

Well not really!........Queen are obviously in the headlines at the moment with their new film, and people in general would like to know about the forgotten man.You would be lieing if you said that you are not curious about certain musicians who you don't hear of anymore. There must be some musicians that you like but are no longer in the limelight,and you would like to know what they are currently doing.The Mail has penned a topical piece here, and they haven't slagged him off, they can probably leave that for May and Taylor to do.

Edited by RedVee
  • Like 2

On 27/10/2018 at 08:57, PaulWarning said:

just read it, don't think it's that bad, people will be interested in why he chooses to live a quiet lifestyle, I am, and he appears content, good for him.

Far far from a hatchet job, the worst comment comes from Taylor calling him a sociopath, he doesn't seem to hold any grudges giving May and Taylor giving permission to do what they want with the Queen brand name. In some ways the article is sympathetic to his lifestyle choice.

Don't most people want a quiet life?,certainly the majority which brings me to the opening comments .I don't think chatting to him about basses would be that interesting .Seemes to love a P bass and keeping his head down.Not much to tell

18 minutes ago, RedVee said:

Well not really!........Queen are obviously in the headlines at the moment with their new film, and people in general would like to know about the forgotten man.You would be lieing if you said that you are not curious about certain musicians who you don't hear of anymore. Their must be some musicians that you like but are no longer in the limelight,and you would like to know what they are currently doing.The Mail has penned a topical piece here, and they haven't slagged him off, they can probably leave that for May and Taylor to do.

i'm not lying,i don't.We know no more than we did after this piece either .

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

an estate of 900 pubs

Perhaps I've been unlucky then, and have only been to the 3 or 4 out of 900 that seemed to be inhabited entirely by football-shirt-clad nerks who think that drinking Stella rather than Carling makes them sophisticated, habitually shout "Oi oi!" at people 6 feet away from them, and are seemingly engaged in a contest to see who can laugh the loudest at nothing and spill the most beer. Perhaps if I went to a 5th one, I would find the haven of peace and tranquility that many some seem to find them. I'm not going to find out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jazzmanb said:

Don't most people want a quiet life?,certainly the majority which brings me to the opening comments .I don't think chatting to him about basses would be that interesting .Seemes to love a P bass and keeping his head down.Not much to tell

As it happens I think it would be great to talk to him about the gear he has used. On the early tours he had a monstrous Acoustic/Hiwatt rig and I'd love to know about that. The rack distribution unit he used and why the various Pbass variations over the years. Not everyone's cup of tea I grant you, but I would love to talk to him about the gear he has used.

Back on topic.... What a weirdo JD is.

What kind of idiot would want to bang out a terrific body of work, make a few bob out of it, and then choose living comfortably and quietly with his loved ones over hanging out with industry types, hobnobbing with the terminally shallow and sucking up to the press.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3