Why become a member? ×

Daily Mail and John Deacon

Steve Browning

8 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I think the video I posted should be explanation enough for my dislike of Wetherspoons. 

I think that sort of thing could happen in any crowded pub/club in certain areas (city centres?), there are many good Wetherspoons that are not situated in those sort of areas

20 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I think that, maybe, some of the sniffy comments on Wetherspoons has more to do with Tim Martin being a staunch Brexiteer than the way the pub chain is run, not sure how we got here from the Mail and John Deacon though

There is that. I’ve also yet to go into one and think, yes I’ll sit awhile and enjoy my coffee. It’s usually my god what’s this stuff they’re passing off as coffee, why don’t they employ enough staff so they can clean the chips and other food debris from the table, and what on earth have they done to this building? The latter because they seem to have perfected turning a nice and architecturally interesting building into something totally bland and characterless.

• Like 4

Just now, ambient said:

There is that. I’ve also yet to go into one and think, yes I’ll sit awhile and enjoy my coffee. It’s usually my god what’s this stuff they’re passing off as coffee, why don’t they employ enough staff so they can clean the chips and other food debris from the table, and what on earth have they done to this building? The latter because they seem to have perfected turning a nice and architecturally interesting building into something totally bland and characterless.

I agree with you about the staff, but that's how they keep the prices down, and again some are better than others and if you don't like the coffee don't go in for one, which I assume you don't, I find it perfectly acceptable for a quid a cup with free refills.

As regards the buildings, in my experience they usually try and keep the exterior in sympathy with what was there before, if it's worth keeping, obviously the interior has to be changed

As you've probably gathered I use them a lot, cheap good quality real ales, and decent food, whenever I'm visiting an area for the first time I always find out where the nearest one is

• Like 3

On 27/10/2018 at 10:05, Newfoundfreedom said:

First of all it's the Daily Fail. I wouldn't wipe my @rse on that disgusting rag. 

Secondly, you have to feel for the guy. To try and reclaim some sort of normal life after being in a band reaching that level of fame has to be a nightmare. I can't say I blame the guy for shutting himself off from the world. I do the same wherever possible, and I don't even get recognised by my own Mum half the time. 

too right, no @rse is worth infecting with that excresence

Edited by Barking Spiders

10 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

so politics aside why is he {Tim Martin} a complete and utter tool?

What I've seen and heard of him leads me to the conclusion that he is a big-mouthed thin-skinned spiteful hypocrite.

Still, I'm sure people have said worse about me in the past and will in the future. I'm also sure that Mr Martin wouldn't give a rat's derrière about my opinion of him. :lol:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rich said:

No. No, you wouldn't. And do you know why? Because thanks to the unelected faceless bureaucratic dictatorial unelected quasi-fascist bullying faceless unelected bureaucrats in Brussels, you can't buy a GALLON of petrol. You can only buy it in euros now. And even if you could, the unelected faceless bureaucratic dictatorial unelected quasi-fascist bullying faceless unelected Health & Safety bureaucrats won't let us burn ourselves even if we want to. The sooner we are free of the EU's unelected faceless eurocratic dictatorial (cont'd p.94 of tomorrow's Daily Express, and every other day in fact)

Yes indeed. We want our very own dictatorial, feudal, over-privileged,  corrupt public school educated zillionaires to grind our noses in the dirt because English bullies are the best. Always have been and always will be. We don't need johnny foreigner types telling us how straight our cucumbers should be when we have our very own plummy chinless wonders to tell those cheese eating surrender monkeys that bendy cucumbers are British and therefore the best in the world!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All this is very much about John Deacon, NOT!

To get back on track a bit, I`ve just re-read the article about him in this months Bass Guitar Mag - turns out that he refinished one of his Precisions as and when he felt like a change, rather than buy a new one. I think that`s quality, sure he probably had enough money to buy Fender, but keeping with the bass he liked to play/how it sounded, just with a fresh coat of paint, nice one.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Anyone who works for it and regularly reads it, and the equally foul Daily Express, should be treated as social pariahs. 

I suppose the number of people whom it will be necessary to treat as social pariahs all depends on how one defines 'regularly'. Would regularly be:

i) More than once a week?
ii) More than once a month?
iii) More than once a year?

Also, one needs to define 'read'. Would this mean:

i) Just one article?
ii) More than one article but less than ten?
iii) Just the sports pages?
iv) The whole edition from cover to cover?

One would probably need to draw up a grid indicating - for example - whether reading just the sports pages once a month is more or less likely to invoke pariah status compared to reading just one article but doing it on a weekly basis.

This having been determined we can create a social pariah 'tariff of sanctions' which might range from making hypothetical, aggressive threats of 'othering' up to putting groups of social pariahs in trucks where the exhaust is vented into a sealed passenger compartment. Frankly, the sooner we get rid of the social pariahs the cleaner and better our society will be. 

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

...........successful though.................

😎

there in lies the answer as to why some people don't like him, we do seem to have a culture in this country where anybody who is successful even through their own efforts is despised.

Some do deserve it, Maxwell and Green spring to mind. I've never heard bad things about Tim Martin, (doesn't come across very well on TV I'll admit) employs thousands of people and treats them in an above average way by all accounts, and most important of all sells me decent beer at rock bottom prices 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

there in lies the answer as to why some people don't like him, we do seem to have a culture in this country where anybody who is successful even through their own efforts is despised.

Some do deserve it, Maxwell and Green spring to mind. I've never heard bad things about Tim Martin, (doesn't come across very well on TV I'll admit) employs thousands of people and treats them in an above average way by all accounts, and most important of all sells me decent beer at rock bottom prices 😊

The way it seems on here Paul, he could pay his employees £100 an hour, give them 27 weeks paid leave a year, and hand gold bars to his customers on entering his premises, but if he reads the Daily Mail and voted for Brexit, well he`s immediately classed as a lower human being than Stalin - the same Stalin that killed over 10 million people, in case there are others who are reasonable human beings.

• Like 1

Wetherspoons can't pay that well, staff went on strike recently over pay. And I'm not entirely certain that Wetherspoons has a reputation for treating staff generously.

Besides all that, the food is at best meh...heaven knows where they conjured up their Chilli Con Carne from but it's truly repulsive. The ones I've been in have had some really unpleasant odours. Basically though, they're not pubs. They're soulless, cold places that are the antithesis of what a pub is. You can't have a chat to one of the bar staff, there's never a feel of *belonging* in one. I won't go in one, they are to pubs what Milli Vanilli were to music...completely fake. I'll stick with my local.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Wetherspoons can't pay that well, staff went on strike recently over pay. And I'm not entirely certain that Wetherspoons has a reputation for treating staff generously.

Besides all that, the food is at best meh...heaven knows where they conjured up their Chilli Con Carne from but it's truly repulsive. The ones I've been in have had some really unpleasant odours. Basically though, they're not pubs. They're soulless, cold places that are the antithesis of what a pub is. You can't have a chat to one of the bar staff, there's never a feel of *belonging* in one. I won't go in one, they are to pubs what Milli Vanilli were to music...completely fake. I'll stick with my local.

well each to there own, less queuing time for me 😊, I'm rather fond of their veterinarian lasagne 

I don't use the one nearest to me very often tbh, it's one of the soulless ones you talk about but there are good ones as well. In Nottingham the Trent Bridge Inn and the Gooseberry Bush are worth a visit

I don't think they pay their staff that well, but bar staff don't get good wages anywhere but training and suchlike is good (so I hear) and no zero hours contracts I don't think anyway

Edited by PaulWarning

2 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

Yes and who pays the price for their rock bottom prices. I once went into partnership at a (now long dead) micro brewery . Wetherspoons were a major customer and they knew it and would screw us down heavily on discounts, each year ratcheting up the percentage, eventually getting to 20% on a firkin. They used their volume buying power as leverage. Eventually, as we ended up making less than 1% margin we went bust. And that was largely thanks to them. Utter bar stewards! never been in one of their dives ever since.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Every Wetherspoons I have been to (not many, admittedly) has been Chav central. I much prefer the more traditional style pub to one of a chain. 

To be fare wetherspoons are only chav central of an evening , in the daytime its racist pensioners and blokes with no teeth bad tats and a habit having a row with themselves at the bar...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3