Why become a member? ×

Bass Player Available - Toronto, Canada (GTA & East)

StringNavigator

Bass Player / Bassist
Fender Bass Guitar or Double Bass
Ampeg Pro-Gear + Transportation
All musical styles considered

I'm seeking an established or start-up band that performs a mix of danceable hit covers, tailored to the audience. I'm into playing simply for the musical enjoyment, but I'm also available to gig locally or tour for compensation. I prefer to belong to only one band.

I'm a versatile musician with a patchwork of experience in many styles (vintage, retro and current) to interest a wide audience:
Sixties Soul from Motown, Stax or Atlantic including Disco
Jazz & Blues in every style, by all artists including improvisation over changes
R&B / Ballads, with influences from Boogaloo, Funk, Gospel, New Orleans, Latin, Caribbean
Jump Blues, 50's Rock 'n' Roll and Doo-Wop
Classic Rock, British Invasion and New Wave (Beatles, Stones, Led Zepellin, AC/DC...)
Traditional & New Country, Country Rock, Southern Rock, Rockabilly, Cajun
Caribbean Sounds (Reggae, Ska, Rock Steady, Calypso, Soca and Steel Pan)
Popular Vocalists of the Big Bands (Swing, Dixieland, Waltz/Polka and all Latin dance rhythms)

I play four string bass with heavy guage flat-wound strings in fingerstyle, but also use a plectrum for some songs. I read chord charts very well and just enough musical notation to learn material. I've studied harmony on bass and guitar and analysed many songs. 

I prepare at home before rehearsals with a portable Tascam CD Playalong Trainer to be on the exact same page with everyone else before hitting the band-room to save valuable time and effort spent on needless discussion, arguments and petty rearranging during rehearsals and to keep studio rental time to a minimum. Staying true to the CD avoids confusion and the path of my bass line can be depended on by everyone to follow the song from start to finish. Since the only necessary change is a key change to protect the vocalist, I use the CD Trainer "pitch change function" to practice songs in a different key.

I prefer to play "covers only" of upbeat, danceable, memorable hit music as is preferred by venues and patrons. I can be a creative, improvising musician at a jam session, but as a band member learning repertoire it is more reasonable to stay very close to the recording with the same beats per minute and under 4 minutes. I play 'em as the audience knows 'em and likes 'em. I may play some very minor variations if the riff or part is repetitive, but I never mess with the structure, changes, tempo, main riffs, memorable licks, intros or outros of a hit song. Integrity of performance can revive the same vibe that made the song a hit in the first place and the patrons appreciate that effort. If you're a tribute band, I'm very good with running song medleys.

I use a small pedal-board to guarantee a superb bass tone: line driver, volume boost, compressor, maximizer and volume pedal. I've selected Ampeg amps for any venue:
Ampeg BA-110V2 40W 1x10"
Ampeg B200R Rocket Combo 250W 1x15" + horn
Ampeg Classic SVT 300W 8x10"

Contact me for details if you're a serious musician or band and think that my playing may be of value. I'm available for a jam session or if you're holding band auditions. Please send me a copy of your set-list in playing order, with your key and the name of the artist for your cover versions. Also, current and proposed line-up, rehearsal location and age range if any.

Edited by StringNavigator