Why become a member? ×

Marcus Miller headstock

Quilly

There isn't a bass on earth worth buying over 1500 quid. I really believe that. Music, soul, love, groove, is created by the fingers and the heart of the player. It's ace to have a lovely quality bass (or any instrument), something well made, that feels great, looks great and sounds great. But to me, you can achieve nirvana on an Ibanez, a Mexican P bass, Yamaha.... or a used Stingray, Lakland.... whatever, etc etc.... I just can't believe that in the hands of 90 percent of us, anything more than that is required. The chosen few, I guess, can afford a Fodera or similar... but honestly... why? Especially when Vinny can't come up with a better headstock.... 

There's WAY too much emphasis on expensive gear. Amps included. Treat yourself to a Peavey TNT 1x15 off eBay and kick some donkey.....

Anyway... I expect I'll get shot down for that.

Back to headstocks....

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

About £8000 at a guess 😉

Grim.

15 minutes ago, Rayman said:

There isn't a bass on earth worth buying over 1500 quid. I really believe that. Music, soul, love, groove, is created by the fingers and the heart of the player. It's ace to have a lovely quality bass (or any instrument), something well made, that feels great, looks great and sounds great. But to me, you can achieve nirvana on an Ibanez, a Mexican P bass, Yamaha.... or a used Stingray, Lakland.... whatever, etc etc.... I just can't believe that in the hands of 90 percent of us, anything more than that is required. The chosen few, I guess, can afford a Fodera or similar... but honestly... why? Especially when Vinny can't come up with a better headstock.... 

There's WAY too much emphasis on expensive gear. Amps included. Treat yourself to a Peavey TNT 1x15 off eBay and kick some donkey.....

Anyway... I expect I'll get shot down for that.

Back to headstocks....

I have to say I agree with this!

I got over the Sire headstock thing and bought one a couple of years ago. Been in and out of love with it since (tried selling it recently), but sound-wise, it sits really well in the band I play in (the guitarist loves it), and its passive sound is classic jazz bass. So I’m going to keep it. But it’s the first bass I’ve had where the neck plate screws have corroded. That’s where Sire have cut corners - cheap screws (the pickguard screws have rusted very quickly) and cheap fret wire (mine go a lovely greenybrown if I don’t clean them regularly).

16 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Interesting about the corrosion though, mine doesn't have this and I clean it about twice a year!

Think body chemistry has something to do with this...my mate ruins strings with his sweat and doesn’t like the feel of elixir or exp coated strings. 

Jason Newsted used to have Roger Sadowsky make his basses sweat proof.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2018 at 18:36, Marvin said:

My Sire has gone up in value...but then I got one of the first 1000 that had the signed neck plate.

The headstock is no worse than that on a D.Lakin or Sadowsky. Neither of those would pass an aesthetics contest to be fair.

I was thinking of buying a second V7, but the changed neck profile and satin finish doesn’t appeal to me.

Agree about the D.Lakin headstock...its like they just gave up. the Marcus Miller bass one just looks unfinished. Like it came from a 'build your own bass' kit. Sadowsky one is fine IMO, I have a Mayones Jabba 4 and again, it looks 'fine' a bit uninspired.  I know its not all about aesthetics but its nice to play a pretty bass all the same. 

On 29/10/2018 at 21:00, lemmywinks said:

Here's a tasteful take on the Fender headstock I've always liked, it's from an old Fenix (think they were Samicks):

fenix_jb5-jpg.2164507

Compare to a much more expensive Sandberg which looks like a toddler tried to make a tin opener out of balsa wood:

sandberg_california_tm4_headstock_front.

I agree, I own a 'old model' sandberg and the headstock is like a shovel, great bass though. much rather the new design headstock.

On 29/10/2018 at 21:43, lemmywinks said:

The older ones might be more desirable but the headstock shape is horrid:

$_86.JPG

Bleurgh, nearly as bad as that Alleva Coppolo thing.

Not very pretty - but the reason Fenix/Young-Chang got into trouble with Fender is that the original ones looked like this:

fenix002.thumb.jpg.4b56f9ea3e76d96ad50f101c7f54cfdf.jpg

And that was because, when they thought no-one was looking, they were putting Fenix logos on the same Squiers they were licensed to make! Inevitably, Y-C lost their contract with Fender but carried on selling Fenixes, (with several different non-infringing headstock shapes) for several years.

Very good they are too - the one in the pic's mine, and all in all I prefer it to my mid 80s MIJ E-serial Strat.

Edited by Bassassin
Punctuation fail.

23 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Not very pretty - but the reason Fenix/Young-Chang got into trouble with Fender is that the original ones looked like this:

And that was because, when they thought no-one was looking, they were putting Fenix logos on the same Squiers they were licensed to make! Inevitably, Y-C lost their contract with Fender but carried on selling Fenixes, (with several different non-infringing headstock shapes) for several years.

Very good they are too - the one in the pic's mine, and all in all I prefer it to my mid 80s MIJ E-serial Strat.

Was hoping you'd come along, are the 90s and later Fenix basses like this one (which I really want, it looks great) still Young Chang? Looks to have the same bridge as the Samick built Arias but maybe they were sourcing the same Korean parts.

_c1045742_image_0.JPG

I can remember drooling over the 4 string version of that as a youth, it was reviewed in one of the guitar mags at the time. Never managed to stumble across one in the wild though.

Edited by lemmywinks

• 3 months later...