Why become a member? ×

Marcus Miller headstock

Quilly

I bought one because I wanted a five string lefty jazz and it was the best option without spending crazy money. No regrets whatsoever, it's my main gigging bass. The headstock is a bit ugly but I forgive it. There are a lot of pots, I'm using this to see if I like active basses.... Well, I now bypass the EQ on my amp and my pedal board to purely have the bass onboard EQ pumped out. 

There are bits that could be better and more refined, I think the new series 2 has addressed that with things like satin neck finish instead of gloss. 

Don't let the headstock put you off if you want a solid working instrument. I'm not able to display mine so... 

• Like 2

I had a V3 and it was a good bass. Then I sold it like a t%t! I`m looking to get an active bass again and it`s a toss up between a Sire V7 and a BB 734. Thing is, I can get a V7 and a V3 for the price of the Yammy.

But I love BB`s...First world problems.

43 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

I had a V3 and it was a good bass. Then I sold it like a t%t! I`m looking to get an active bass again and it`s a toss up between a Sire V7 and a BB 734. Thing is, I can get a V7 and a V3 for the price of the Yammy.

But I love BB`s...First world problems.

I don't think I'll ever "love" my Sire, I wasn't in love with the idea of getting it. But if the drummer kicks a cymbal over in to it, like he did my Japanese Precision, or if a drunk punter sends loads of kit flying and it ends up face down in a pool of cider, again like my Japanese P, I won't mind so much. They're good working instruments, they sound damn good and feel good but you won't care if they take a pasting live because they're never going up in value.

• Like 1

My Sire has gone up in value...but then I got one of the first 1000 that had the signed neck plate.

The headstock is no worse than that on a D.Lakin or Sadowsky. Neither of those would pass an aesthetics contest to be fair.

I was thinking of buying a second V7, but the changed neck profile and satin finish doesn’t appeal to me.

If you ever feel bad about your Sire headstock just remember people regularly pay £5k for an absolute travesty like this one:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZ98oQzgEkE00VP2SFP92

Nothing wrong with the Sire headstock IMO, if we hadn't been looking at Fenders all our lives most of us would probably think their headstocks looked rubbish too, I do regardless!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 26/10/2018 at 23:31, Quilly said:

It’s literally the only thing putting me off .. well maybe I’m a bit suspicious of a bass with so many pots .

Seriously, dont let a silly thing like the headstock put you off. It's so minor in the scheme of things.

Oh, and most of those knobs can be easily bypassed by flicking the active/passive switch. So they don't have to be a problem either.

Have you played one? Whereabouts in the UK are you? You're welcome to try mine if you're relatively nearby.

Rich is spot on. A while back I bought a V7 and didn`t like the bridge, tuners, knobs and other things about the bass. I sent it back, I don`t think I gave the bass a chance tbh, but earlier this year bought a V3 for £230 and grew to love the bass. The pre amp is really useful when you are playing through supplied back line when you just don`t know what you are going to be playing through.

I have been eyeing up a P7 version 2 in Andertons and I think I`m going to order it as I prefer the P bass shape.

Edited by jezzaboy

36 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Here's a tasteful take on the Fender headstock I've always liked, it's from an old Fenix (think they were Samicks):

fenix_jb5-jpg.2164507

Compare to a much more expensive Sandberg which looks like a toddler tried to make a tin opener out of balsa wood:

sandberg_california_tm4_headstock_front.

Fenix’s looked great, my mate had a strat - A company called Young Chang who I think made some squires (and subsequently got told to stop making good Fender copies)

and the Sandberg headstock was why I sold mine

D4A8F531-1EC9-48E0-B6D0-4A87719A3FF7.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 2

I love the mk1/2 paddle - hate the mk3...

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

I actually like the Fodera headstocks. They’re certainly a more attractive 2+2 design than this IMO:

A569F358-5A76-417E-91C7-8CD8AC86C5CF.thumb.jpeg.e643517ffc9c84bde5fad1f98e7de3dc.jpeg

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

But at least at Wal you have options:

338D9966-01BA-4A5A-8417-164E21BE1DBB.jpeg.529efaa9f04a3f03ce625853ab2be3be.jpeg

Different strokes etc.