Why become a member? ×

Octave down with frequency cut-off

pete.young

35 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

Are you saying you want the octave down effect on everything below middle C (for example) but no effect on everything above? And the Boss OC-3 can do that? I didn't know that! I'd have bought one if I did

Yes - that's what the 'Range' control does when you're using 'Poly' mode.

From the OC-3 manual

"RANGE This functions as a RANGE knob when the MODE knob is set to POLY. This adjusts the range in which the octave effect is applied. The effect extends into higher frequencies as the knob is turned to the right; turning the knob to the left limits the effect to lower frequencies."

Yup agreed on the surface this seems pretty cool (and also not something I was aware it was capable of doing).

It's interesting how it works though; it's actually the wrong way around from what I'd find useful as a bass player (and remember this was launched as a guitar pedal) i.e. I'd prefer to be able to cut off the octaver below a certain frequency where it gets muddy / glitchy on bass (say the low A string) and have it available only for the higher frequencies where filling out the sound with an octave down adds something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Al Krow said:

From the OC-3 manual

"RANGE This functions as a RANGE knob when the MODE knob is set to POLY. This adjusts the range in which the octave effect is applied. The effect extends into higher frequencies as the knob is turned to the right; turning the knob to the left limits the effect to lower frequencies."

Yup agreed on the surface this seems pretty cool (and also not something I was aware it was capable of doing).

It's interesting how it works though; it's actually the wrong way around from what I'd find useful as a bass player (and remember this was launched as a guitar pedal) i.e. I'd prefer to be able to cut off the octaver below a certain frequency where it gets muddy / glitchy on bass (say the low A string) and have it available only for the higher frequencies where filling out the sound with an octave down adds something.

I wonder if that’s a mod Tom at Cog might be able to do. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

I wonder if that’s a mod Tom at Cog might be able to do. 

Good thought. If he added that feature to his T16 with the cut off "the right way around", he'd have something that could start to justify the large price differential over quality competition from the value-end of the octaver market such as the Valeton OC-10. You should definitely suggest it to him :) 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Good thought. If he added that feature to his T16 with the cut off "the right way around", he'd have something that could start to justify the large price differential over quality competition from the value-end of the octaver market such as the Valeton OC-10. You should definitely suggest it to him :) 

This may be a digital-only trick though. 

Just now, Quatschmacher said:

This may be a digital-only trick though. 

'bout time Tom started incorporating some digital technology into his pedals - he needs to keep up with the Chase Bliss boys if he's going to stay relevant! Maybe you can persuade him? :)

But another good point. It does make me wonder whether the TC Sub'n'Up can be programmed to do this - @Dood?

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

'bout time Tom started incorporating some digital technology into his pedals - he needs to keep up with the Chase Bliss boys if he's going to stay relevant! Maybe you can persuade him? :)

But another good point. It does make me wonder whether the TC Sub'n'Up can be programmed to do this - @Dood?

In a word, yes. There’s modulation and EQ effects that can be applied to the octave sound, which for some reason just isn’t advertised. It’s daft they are missing a trick.

i would love to demonstrate, but I’m currently being forced to sell anything I don’t essentially need. The TC’s have gone already.

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

Some very interesting ideas here guys but please can I have my thead back? It looks as thought the OC-3 is the only game in town for the original requirement?

By all means :) 

However! The meander has, I believe, actually ended up answering your original Q :hi::

On 27/10/2018 at 19:27, Dood said:

In a word, yes. There’s modulation and EQ effects that can be applied to the octave sound, which for some reason just isn’t advertised. It’s daft they are missing a trick.

i would love to demonstrate, but I’m currently being forced to sell anything I don’t essentially need. The TC’s have gone already.

From what Dood is saying, you can also do what you're looking to do with the TC Sub'n'Up BUT potentially having a cut off in either (or both) direction(s) - which would make it a darned sight more useful than the OC-3 for the rest of us!

Unlike the OC-3, however, you're going to need to some deep diving with the Toneprint editor rather than dialling a couple of knobs.

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

In which case, why does it have a Jack socket labeled 'Bass In'?

You're absolutely right, it does indeed! :)  I was being too shorthand in my comment and taking a step back to its precursor, the OC-2, which the OC-3 replaced and was thinking of this comment:

"Originally, the OC-2 was developed for guitarists, but back in the day bass players often had to turn to guitar effects and the BOSS OC-2 soon became a true bass classic…"

But I think it's still fair to say that if the OC-3 had been purely bass focused rather than having its primary market being guitarists, the RANGE feature would have been set up the other way around: it wouldn't cut off the octaver where it was performing best at the dusty end of the bass fretboard and just left to operate at the low end where it was glitching - that doesn't make good sense for bass players.

Edited by Al Krow

• 2 weeks later...