Why become a member? ×

SAI Bargain Valve Amplifier

ash

Those of you who follow the ‘Ebay Weird & Wonderful’ thread in Marketplace may have seen a recent entry about this. 

I was lucky enough to be able to use the buy it now and my bandmate who was in Manchester yesterday picked it up.

So for the princely sum of £20 and some cash for my bandmate’s dinner and petrol - this old amp arrived last night.

I’ve included some pictures as I know very little about the amp or the brand - I do know it is around 40 years old and SAI recently began producing boutique valve combos again in the UK. I have owned a SAI amp before - that was a slave amp and I used a Trace Elliot preamp with it and a Trace cab. It sounded big and fat and very clean but it weighed a ton. 

This one is much lighter. I wouldn’t mind more info as there is little on the net about them. I also am looking for a local tech to service it. 

The good news is it works! Well partially, channel 1 is not working however 2 gives a lovely warm tone. I haven’t boosted the Master volume yet as all the pots are very scratchy and need a good clean. It’s also got the usual valve buzz, very clean inside with little corrosion to the chassis ( it was the ubiquitous loft find )

Overall I think I got a bargain - reminds me of the days when my Dad helped me fix up an old Selmer Zodiac and a Vox AC50. I definitely need a grill for the back.

Any information gratefully received! 

96A002BC-C7D6-4A54-BC6A-4D7E86297538.jpeg

95342273-E818-4631-B2A4-087155C78777.jpeg

4BBCE2FB-34E9-4A63-997E-177CD8F36D48.jpeg

6832585F-69A0-4793-BFF1-EE899B081D4A.jpeg

Edited by ash
  • Like 1

Looks like a Marshall 50 Watts clone and it's more than a bargain, it's a gift. Check the valve for the first channel, it's certainly dead and like @gary mac wrote, it's a matter of life to fully discharge the capacitors before putting your hands in it. AND as those filter capacitors are double capacitors, discharge both parts for your own safety. I had a surprise one day as the junction wire between the two parts was broken but still contacting, so one part was still fully charged : my soldering iron still remembers it as it made the earth and a nice flame with some smoke... 

Thanks for the advice, yes I won’t be poking around in there as I got a bad shock from my old Selmer when I was 13 - I’d just got it and my Dad was at work - he worked for Mullards so he knew all about valves and how lethal this gear is - I couldn’t wait for him and plugged it in and got a nasty tingle. I learnt my lesson and subsequently won’t touch anything with valves in! 

A bit more information about the old SAI valve amp I picked up recently. 

I took it to bits after discharging the capacitor and have given it a good switch clean. There were also a couple of dry solder joints so I’ve fixed them and a broken wire on input one. 

Hey presto all the inputs work now - albeit with a little encouragement on channel 1. The Volume pot may need replacing although it probably hasn’t been used in years. I’m also going to make a back for it using some wire mesh. The thing kicks out a beefy sound through my Barefaced cab even though it’s not a bass amp. 50 watts of valve goodness for £20. Oh yes I’ve also found out SAI amps were made in Standish near Wigan and I believe the original makers are building boutique amps again!

I still want to get it serviced but at least I know it works.

750D0E2F-845D-48F4-AC1D-DC44BB9EA68D.jpeg

723F7CFB-1E5B-40BB-81A2-5DFA66B60ED3.jpeg

9284ED98-ABA4-4A0F-9B0D-F0AD1B7A568F.jpeg

0107D35C-5CB6-4629-8CA0-2BF419A11700.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Interesting, I wonder if that little perfboard by the inputs with the two transistors is a mod?

Yes I think it may well be as volume one appears to have an effect on volume two when the bass is plugged into channel two. I had it on for about an hour today and it really has some punch to it! 

1 hour ago, ash said:

Yes I think it may well be as volume one appears to have an effect on volume two when the bass is plugged into channel two. I had it on for about an hour today and it really has some punch to it! 

With a Marshall type circuit, the channel volumes will affect the tone of one channel when plugged into the other, but not the volume so much. 

Edited by Beer of the Bass
  • Thanks 1

On 28/10/2018 at 17:31, Pea Turgh said:

I know it’d be daft to do it, but it looks like there’s blank space in the outer wooden shell on either side - you could make the box narrower and it wouldn’t overhang as much on the cab!

That's exactly what I'd want to do!