Why become a member? ×

How do I know if my combo is loud enough to gig with...

MacDaddy

On 26/10/2018 at 14:15, dave_bass5 said:

Ive never found shop or home playing to be any indication of how a rig will sound at a gig. To my ears all rigs/combos sound great at home, but when they are pushed at gigs their tone can change quite a lot.

New amp and cab set up at home with bass slightly boosted, Mid cut back and Treble flat. I am fortunate that i can play louder at home if i want (no direct neighbours) but the bass cave is a very small room only 2.8m x 2.6m

Took to 1st rehearsal in a fairly large rehearsal studio (approx 12m x 6m i think) and with master volume up just one notch ie from 9 at home to 10 o'clock at rehearsal. I had to bring bass back to flat 12 o'clock and bring the mids back up to flat as well which highlights the difference room size can make.

Wouldn't say the amp or cab was being pushed a lot more but the room size did make quite a difference.

Dave

50 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

New amp and cab set up at home with bass slightly boosted, Mid cut back and Treble flat. I am fortunate that i can play louder at home if i want (no direct neighbours) but the bass cave is a very small room only 2.8m x 2.6m

Took to 1st rehearsal in a fairly large rehearsal studio (approx 12m x 6m i think) and with master volume up just one notch ie from 9 at home to 10 o'clock at rehearsal. I had to bring bass back to flat 12 o'clock and bring the mids back up to flat as well which highlights the difference room size can make.

Wouldn't say the amp or cab was being pushed a lot more but the room size did make quite a difference.

Dave

Nice one. For me its a gig that really tells the truth. Standing out front at soundcheck with the whole band playing is where it really matters for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Nice one. For me its a gig that really tells the truth. Standing out front at soundcheck with the whole band playing is where it really matters for me.

Agree and an audience also affects the sound of the bass too unlike a rehearsal where its just a few band members. Even the soundcheck can be an empty hall but the FOH guy will / should account for that difference. Many of the good PA hire companies retain your settings for that venue on laptop with digital desks these days. Instant recall next time you use them at that gig saves a lot of time.

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Agree and an audience also affects the sound of the bass too unlike a rehearsal where its just a few band members. Even the soundcheck can be an empty hall but the FOH guy will / should account for that difference. Many of the good PA hire companies retain your settings for that venue on laptop with digital desks these days. Instant recall next time you use them at that gig saves a lot of time.

Yeah, although for me it’s always without PA support so I need to know I have enough headroom to cover all the gigs I do. This being the case I tend to err on the side of caution and use a rig that more than I need most of the time. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah, although for me it’s always without PA support so I need to know I have enough headroom to cover all the gigs I do. This being the case I tend to err on the side of caution and use a rig that more than I need most of the time. 

I've always done the same to be fair. On a few occasions the FOH said the bass sounded good as it was and no need for PA support and that was with a Markbass rig.

Dave

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well despite opinions to the contrary, it is loud enough to gig with. 

My main bass rig died tonight (not sure if it's the head or cab, but that's tomorrow's problem) so after a mad dash home during the interval, I was forced to use it. 

The volume and power sponge were maxed, and I squeezed more volume out of it by turning down the compressor sensitivity but boosting the level. 

End result, the punters didn't notice, and the bassist & other band types in the crowd said it sounded fine. 

On 30/10/2018 at 16:04, jacko said:

When I first joined the band you followed me into I had a trace 1210 hsmx 410 combo.  That wasn't loud enough to keep up with the other three in the band. 

😮 That must have been some band if an SMX 4x10 wasn’t loud enough (or there was something very wrong with it). I used to regularly gig with a 1x15 SMX combo without pa at some decent sized pubs and the output vol rarely went above 9-10 o’clock. Even then it was still a bit loud for our guitarist on occasion.

• 1 month later...
On Sat Feb 23 2019 at 02:28, MacDaddy said:

Well despite opinions to the contrary, it is loud enough to gig with. 

My main bass rig died tonight (not sure if it's the head or cab, but that's tomorrow's problem) so after a mad dash home during the interval, I was forced to use it. 

The volume and power sponge were maxed, and I squeezed more volume out of it by turning down the compressor sensitivity but boosting the level. 

End result, the punters didn't notice, and the bassist & other band types in the crowd said it sounded fine. 

An update to this. At the gig mentioned above, for some reason during the mad panic to get set up, the combo had been placed on a stand. 

I've done several bass gigs with it since, at similar size venues, and with the combo on the floor the volume has been set at 3 to 4, and the power sponge at 50w.